Difference between Reserve and Part time officers | MassCops

Difference between Reserve and Part time officers

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by erobert, Jul 8, 2015.

1. erobert

erobert MassCops Member

Hi i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right spot, but i'm thinking about taking the reserve/intermittent officer course, and i was wondering what powers they have, and what the difference between them and part time officers are.
    Thank you everyone

2. hockey8774

hockey8774 MassCops Member

Reserve/Intermittent Officers are awarded full police powers, unless otherwise stated by the town you're working for. Part-time, Reserve, and Intermittent Officers are still Police Officers.

Think the mass.gov website has a full break down on the definitions. Not sure your plan, but you can't just think about taking it, you'll still need to be sponsored by a department. You'll have to go through a background process most likely.

3. erobert

erobert MassCops Member

I was just thinking about if it would be worth it or not. I was talking to someone about the Winchester Auxiliary department and they said you need to do that before you start there. I was hoping they'd sponsor me, I'm waiting to hear back from him about it. My plan is to try to get a full time job, but from what I hear since i'm not a veteran it's very hard.

4. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

No it is actually fairly easy to get hired. take the test and do well and you should be GTG shortly.

zm88 likes this.
  5. hockey8774

I'm not a veteran and I got hired full time by a CS town.

Just need to do well on the test. I had to take it a few times.

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

No... You got lucky.

Crefton, BxDetSgt and felony like this.
  7. felony

felony MassCops Member

Test takers now, never had it so easy. With the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan over, there are seemingly less veteran applicants. Towns are now hiring non-vet residents fairly often. Soon enough, with this current attrition rate, there will only be a 100 towns in CS system anyway.

Goose likes this.
  8. hockey8774

Just needed to get 100, twice.

9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Part Time Officers work occasionally. Reserved Officers are rather quiet and unassuming.

PBC FL Cop, BxDetSgt and Goose like this.