Devens, Lancaster, Shirley, Harvard and Lunenburg regional dispatch | Page 2 | MassCops

Devens, Lancaster, Shirley, Harvard and Lunenburg regional dispatch

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by JamnJim18, Jul 10, 2011.

1. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Well the big guy isn't really letting us know his feelings too well

2. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

No one has asked! What do you want to know? If you have a laundry list, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer...

3. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

That is a very unfortunate story. The father was a selfish douche bag to take his kids life like he did. Unfortunately, even with the delay of dispatch, it wouldn't have made much of a difference in the outcome. IMO.

4. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

+ 1

It should also be DCF policy to have their case workers check in with either their office or local PD if they're going to a house with the potential for issues. We have a few that call my town gig all the time when they're going to a potential hot spot.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  5. Dividedbyzero

Dividedbyzero MassCops Member

I know these responses are a bit old at this point, but still.

If you have "facts" that are relevant to the discussion, why not post them for us instead of just trying to sound like you have better information than everyone else? Just because he disagrees with you does not mean his opinions aren't valid. Your comment adds nothing useful to the discussion whatsoever.

Nice attitude. All you're communicating is that you're working for one of the larger departments with more significant radio traffic and you find it comical that other towns might get frustrated at not being able to also communicate effectively because you're "too busy" to worry about it.

6. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

Because the facts are too numerous to list here pn a chat board...I have no problem with people having disagreements. I just have a problem when people get fired up before having all of the information.

...And for the record...on this one, I DO have better information...and I'd be happy to answer specific questions...

7. Dividedbyzero

Dividedbyzero MassCops Member

Yeah, I'm sure.

And you are assuming here that those of us who disagree don't have enough of the information. I have seen the proposal, including grant funding, staffing, and new facility costs. It won't save any of the towns in question any money after about years 1 - 3. If your numbers are showing anything different then your proposal has different figures for whatever reason.

Nice phraseology. The way you put that tries to put the burden of proof on everyone except you. Also, having seen the actual proposal as I mentioned above, I know that we cannot communicate any figures or information contained therein since they are estimates on an official proposal. But I'll try to humor you:

- How exactly does the change to Regional Dispatch save the towns in question money for each year after Y3 as compared to now; Show your work.

- Along the same lines, give us some insight into how this plan is saving the tows' money when considering that an entire new Dispatch facility will be built on Devens to house the Regional Dispatch, despite most of the towns already having new Public Safety facilities which were built within the past 3 - 5 yrs.

- Speak to the fact that, under Regionalization, each town's hardwired and portable equipment will need to be standardized ---actually upgraded in many cases--- to meet communications standards, which will use up more of the initial grant money right away.

- Explain how, according to your Better Information, Regionalizing will be a benefit to ALL towns included.

- If our information is incomplete regarding radio traffic overlap and centralized frequencies, please enlighten us.

USMCMP5811 and nesafety like this.
  8. nesafety

nesafety MassCops Member

Former radio jockey in one of those towns going regional(the busy one). I disagree with anyone stating there'll be huge savings over this. The savings are typically in regional dispatches that have been in existence since the dawn of radio. Those who all share the same frequencies, which these don't; they have hi lo and UHF. There's the interoperability issues; extending lines for phones, etc.; the knowledge of the town...the dispatcher that knows the car you just pulled over is driven by a dirt bag with a crappy attitude; who yells to the other PO in the booking room, "you should head out there just in case"; And there's that dispatcher who is there for you just in case something goes to crap with your prisoner during booking, not their job per se, but still, an extra set of hands. How many on duty at a time? There should be atleast two, so that nibbles into your salary savings. And who's going to be in charge ultimately. What Chief gets the final say about how things are done? Personally I think any town or city going regional at this point in the game is fruitless, never mind the fact that their porking all the long-time dispatchers out of money and longevity they worked for; Just my 2 cents

9. dab7547

dab7547 MassCops Member

Harvard has the most land, then Lancaster, Shirley and Ayer have about the same land wise.

10. mc2252

mc2252 Badge101432

Ayer is not quiet compared to any town except Clinton