·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Staff reports
ENTERPRISE STAFF
Posted Aug 12, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

EASTON -
A small plan crashed in Hannaford's parking lot in Easton, near routes 106 and 123 this morning, according to Easton police, who did no know whether there were any injuries. Watch this Web site for updated information.

http://www.patriotledger.com/homepage/x275048568/Developing-story-Plane-crash-reported-in-Easton

Witness: One dead in plane crash in Easton

Posted Aug 12, 2008 @ 10:40 AM
Last update Aug 12, 2008 @ 11:05 AM
EASTON -
Authorities are reportedly telling witnesses that at least one person died in a plane crash on Route 106 in the Hannaford's Supermarket plaza this morning.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is now up to three dead,it was a medical flight from Long Island NY to Boston.

Small plane crashes into parking lot

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 - 10:32 AM Updated: 11:37 AM

EASTON, Mass. -- A small plane has crashed in an Easton grocery store parking lot, and a firefighter says there are fatalities.
An Easton fire official says three people are confirmed dead. Those killed were on board the plane.
The crash of the single-engine plane in the Hannaford's grocery store parking lot happened at about 10:20 a.m. Tuesday. The shoppping plaza is located off Route 106.

Store manager Arthur Dechellis says he heard an explosion and when he looked outside a two-seat plane was on fire. He says the plane crashed in a remote corner of the parking lot where people rarely park and no cars were hit.
Witnesses said the single-engine plane crashed nose first into the paved parking lot.
The plane took off from the West Hampton, N.Y. airport Tuesday morning on route to Logan Airport in Boston. Officials said they do not know whether the plane was trying to land at the nearby Mansfield Airport instead.
The grocery store remained open and customers were going in and out.

http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news.apx.-content-articles-JAR-2008-08-12-0005.html

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Three killed in Angel Flight

By Jessica Fargen, Laurel J. Sweet and Marie Szaniszlo

An Angel Flight mercy mission to get a New York cancer patient to Boston for treatment ended tragically yesterday when a single-engine plane nosedived into an Easton strip mall parking lot and exploded in flames, killing all three aboard.

1. Video

2. Gallery
More On:

G

·
Flashbacks haunt Easton plane crash witnesses and responders

Flashbacks haunt Easton plane crash witnesses and responders

Flashbacks haunt Easton plane crash witnesses, responders

By Jessica Scarpati
ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER
Posted Aug 14, 2008 @ 01:48 AM
Last update Aug 14, 2008 @ 02:17 PM
EASTON -
Darcy Stillman felt her hands tremble on the steering wheel as she drove closer to work Wednesday. Her heart quickened as she passed the site where a single-engine plane had crashed Tuesday, outside the tanning salon she manages. It was where she had watched flames consume the three people inside the plane - a couple from Long Island, N.Y., and a volunteer pilot taking them to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for cancer treatment. "I just wish they would clean up everything soon. I'll never be able to look at that area," Stillman said, gazing into the plaza.
A helicopter hovered near the plaza. The sound of the aircraft sent chills up her neck. "Every time I close my eyes, the first image I have is the bodies and the flames," she said. If left unchecked, the horrific images from the Route 106 crash site will likely continue to haunt her and others who saw it because of chance, duty or curiosity, experts say. People who remain sad, scared or have problems with daily functions for more than a few days should seek help, said Donna Pincus, associate professor of psychology at Boston University. "Even some short-term care would help them be able to process what happened and put it in context that this doesn't happen most days," said Pincus, a psychologist at BU's Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders. Pincus said it is "dangerous" to allow fear to limit one's actions. "It causes people to make their lives very small," she added.

Stillman, an Easton native who now lives in Taunton, said she has already cancelled plans to fly to Bermuda for her first wedding anniversary.
"You would have to drug me" to get on a plane, she said. "I'll take a cruise."

Deusdite Barbosa of Brockton was driving to Target with his wife when he watched the plane plummet and explode in the parking lot.
Barbosa said he was one of the first people at the crash site.
He replays the scene over in his mind - the severed, charred bodies trapped in what he described as "a ball of fire." "We wanted to save them, but we couldn't do it," Barbosa said. He and his wife plan to hold a candlelight vigil at the site this weekend. Barbosa said he might talk to his doctor about his feelings, but remains focused on trying to convince himself that he could not save the crash victims. "It's something that will live with me forever," he said. "I'm never going back to that supermarket. Never."

As some struggle with witnessing a scene they never meant to see, others must confront the horror it was their job to race toward. "It is hard sometimes when you're in a helping role" to witness trauma that cannot be helped, said Pincus, the psychologist. To help them cope, Easton police, firefighters and medics attended a "critical incident stress defusing" session Tuesday afternoon at a Stonehill College chapel, said Easton Fire Capt. David Beals. The session at Stonehill allowed them to vent their reactions to the day and help supervisors identify anyone who may need professional counseling. Fire chaplains were also available for spiritual counseling, Beals said.

"A lot of these guys, two or three days from now, are going to have continual flashbacks of the gruesome scene we had to wade through," he said. "It's a normal human response to an abnormal situation."
Beals, who has been on the job 29 years, said he has "never been to a call that has been this difficult to process" emotionally.
He is haunted by the chilling memory of removing the bodies from the wreckage, he said.

"I have a strong Christian faith; that's what I hold on to," Beals said.
Jessica Scarpati can be reached at [email protected].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts