Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STUART, Va. --
A Patrick County deputy was injured Sunday in Ararat when struck by a vehicle that had been involved in a pursuit, whose driver then was fired on by the officer before escaping.
The deputy had his foot run over and his arm injured after officers initially had stopped the suspect's vehicle on Willis Gap Mountain Road. The injured deputy was treated at Northern Hospital of Surry County and released.
While no arrest had been reported as of late Monday afternoon in the incident, Patrick County Sheriff Dan Smith said he expected that to occur soon. "We anticipate obtaining warrants shortly," Smith said, adding that an update on the case was expected by today.
Authorities say the pursuit unfolded about 3:15 p.m. Sunday when two deputies with the Patrick County Sheriff's Office were investigating a report of a missing juvenile on Friends Mission Road in Ararat.
During the investigation, one of the officers spotted a vehicle suspected of being involved in the case, operated by a white male in his mid-20s. They attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the 1983 Chevrolet S-10 pickup did not stop and the chase ensued westbound on Friends Mission Road and then onto Willis Gap Mountain Road.
The deputies were able to get the suspect to stop just north of Orchard View Road.
At that point, one of the officers tried to order the man out of the pickup, but he did not comply and instead traveled backward, with his vehicle colliding with the second deputy’s patrol car.
The suspect then struck the deputy who was ordering him out, causing the injuries, spun his vehicle around and again attempted to run over the officer. As that was occurring, the deputy fired at the suspect, who still did not stop, and the pursuit continued off-road through Harold’s Orchard.
It ended with the suspect crashing into a tree and fleeing on foot. No other person was in the pickup.
The name of the injured deputy has not been released. That is "standard protocol when a law enforcement officer is involved in a shooting," said Smith. "Our deputy had every reason to feel that his life was in imminent danger -- we are fortunate that he was not seriously injured."
The sheriff declined to say Monday how many shots were fired at the suspect.
Meanwhile, the search continued for the alleged assailant. He was not initially located despite a manhunt Sunday afternoon and evening involving additional deputies who were called in along with officers from several other agencies, including the Carroll County Sheriff's Office.
The effort also included a Virginia State Police helicopter and a local game warden.
This article appeared in Tuesday's edition of the Mount Airy News.

Story From:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts