Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on vehicles being operated with deployed air bags? I was on a MV stop earlier and noticed the vehicle air bags had been deployed from an MVA earlier in the month. The car had minimal damage. The operator was mouthy (Springer material), so I whacked her for impeded operation(the deflated air bag being in her lap). I thought vehicles were rendered useless after air bag deployment, obviously my bad. Is there anything that might cover this issue?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
deployed airbags

The airbags are required by federal mandate: once deployed, they must be replaced...so too the event data recorder, (the much vaunted "black box") once deployed, it must be replaced. I'd say the citizen is in violation of 90-7...I reconstructed a collision in Spfld where the offending vehicle had deployed during a previous collision and the owner had taped the wheel and dash with duct tape...it will not pass inspection in MA...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I thought there would be more discussion about this topic.

Everyone be advised: all GM products (with the temporary exception of Saab) can be accessed. The event data recorder will reveal delta V, speed, brakes, seatbelt status, ignition cycles, etc...

Ford has just released their software: no speed, but delta V, brakes, seatbelt status, ignition cycles. Only for selected models, including CROWN VICTORIA!!!!! :shock: they are where GM was ten years ago, so speed is in the future. Toyota, Honda and Mopar are next...

This stuff is available if air bag is deployed, or "near deploy".

word to the wise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts