Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Department is moving to S&W MP 9's

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  pahapoika 
#1 ·
MERRY CHIRSTMAS!

The department I work for is moving from Glock 22's to Smith and Wesson M & P 9mm. I got to briefly test the Smith and I like the way it feels. I was wondering if anyone else has recently transitioned to the Smith and has any input. Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
I've owned both Glocks and M&Ps. The original M&P triggers were no good at all; gritty, unpredictable break, and no felt reset. They improved the reset immensely in later models, but the trigger was still heavy and gritty unless you put an Apex Duty/Carry enhancement kit in it. The 2.0 smoothed it out a little more, but it's still far from the best on the market. Honestly, it's a shame and inexcusable IMO. Number one, most of the new pistols released before and since the 2.0, such as the HK VP 9, Walther PPQ, Sig P320, CZ P10, and Glock Gen5 pistols have excellent triggers. Number two, an Apex kit is a quick fix to that problem and puts the M&P on par with the other new striker fired guns. Why they couldn't do that straight from the factory is beyond me.

That said, the M&P is a reliable, rugged, very comfortable and easy to maintain gun. I certainly wouldn't fault your department for picking them up.

#9 ·
I've carried both glock and m&p at work. Started with glock 19, then 23, then 22, then m&p45, now back to glock 19. The glock 19 is hands down winner, the m&p was a low bidder piece of shit. Parts rusted and had to be sent back, mag springs failed after 2 years, causing numerous malfunctions, I'd never buy a m&p. The glock 22 was ok a few malfunctions I recall. Never had a malfunction in either of the 19's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Departments want to either copy the FBI (smart), be unique (dumb), or choose a pistol based on kickbacks from the distributor (corrupt). The shift back to 9mm is a good choice all around. Glock is great, the new M&P 2.0 has a decent track record...so far. Next step is to make pistol mounted lights are universal, then work on RMR type red dot optics. The advantages to both are clear, but many departments are still helmed by those brought up on revolvers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: pahapoika
#13 ·
NOPE, still love a wheel gun, and (other guns too),but I still carry a snubby off duty and..... now to accompany my newly issued gen 5 piece of shit!!!
(I've fired the 2.o, and watched my armorer break it down during test runs. we all thought it to be a decent weapon, but we continued with the glock trend.) $$..
That said we just went from the, 22/23 which I really really liked to 17/19 gen 5's.
I admit I've been a Glock platform guy both personally owning several, and as a duty weapon with no issues for the previous generations. The gen 5 we have had the following, sights falling off more times than I can count from the factory or shipped missing sights (Yep), we had a few w/ trigger spring issues (Got corrected w/ new springs) , several ftf, and barrel fouling from the factory that we can't explain and imo the new finish sucks too. That's just a few things. Perhaps we got a bad batch I don't know but I don't see how. I know glock went to make it right, but I'll say not only am I a bit soured now I don't really trust it. But hey that's just my own opinion. Give me a gen 3 and or work backwards a few gens and I'll take it. ! Just my opinion from what I have experienced. Sadly because I really like the weapon.

#21 ·
Started with Model 67 S&W (1983) then M-13 for brief period. TODAY I would carry a Ruger GP100 or Smith 686 on duty if I could. I LOVE a wheel gun! Wheel gun=real gun! LOL!
Had Sigma and M&P, but currently carry P226 in 9mm on-duty.

PHUK SSPO and GLOCK!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.