Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of speaking to a family friend at a cookout today, and he told me he was in the running for a position in Dennis, but they have been giving him the runaround. I believe he took a town exam last year, scored very high, did some preliminary interviews and filled out a formal application packet, then they left him hanging for months. It seems that delay was expected due to the numerous arson cases that plagued the town in 2004.

Then a few months ago they contacted him and apologized for the delay, and got the process rolling again. He knows they called at least a couple of his references, plus they did the home visit and contacted his employer. But after that he says he was just told to wait and be patient. The kid has called back a couple times but keeps being told to wait; I hate to see someone as serious and well-qualified as he is get treated like this. If I knew anyone that far out on the Cape I would make a phone call, but unfortunately I don't.

Anyone know the status of things in Dennis? I would imagine they did not hold that exam unless they were planning on hiring. And the candidate is certainly someone they would hire, with college, military, and whatnot.

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
If they want him then they will hire him. I would guess it (like every thing else in this buisiness) has to do with the budget for the new fiscal year starting on July 1st and the next availability for the academy they use down there. Just my unknowing opinion/guess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
being on cape now, i know that there hasnt been much for hiring, just a lot of advertising. As for Dennis, they are very squared away and if he was told to wait, he should, and try not to push the issue too much. I know i havent heard of them even looking or having vacancies so if they contacted him, he should be happy. Plus there are few departments now, with the budgets the way they are, that hire people without the academy. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies...I did suggest to him that with the annual town meeting, followed of course by the budget, is probably happening right around this time, and to hang tight after that. I don't know what financial condition the town is in, but I'd imagine either the PD will get what they need in the immediate future, or nothing will happen for at least another few months.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Also Harwich just layed off some guys so Dennis might throw some of them a bone. There are some good cops with familes out there that lost their job so they might offer it to them, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dennis just appointed a new officer last night and will be putting two more on soon. The one last night is already a graduate of the academy and another has been a part time there for a few years. Rumor is that they will be putting another one on possibly this summer, so I would tell your friend to be patient and realize that it is a squared away department that is only getting better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
have to agree with southside on the squared away and only getting better part. Also, as for the Harwich guys that got laid off, latest news is that the town might be doing another vote because the residents didnt realize how many people would be losing jobs and how much more it will cost them if they remain unemployed

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe Dennis is waiting to hear if one of their officers is in the next State Police class scheduled to start at the end of this month. That is probaly the anticipated opening. The position is already fully funded.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once more thanks a lot to all of you folks for the info, I just called the guy back to update him on what you all had to say. I think he may join the site this weekend and be able to add his own $.02 to this thread.

It is nice to hear that local towns would take care of the (ex-) Harwich officers...a refreshing thought in today's backward world...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.