1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
delayed again: Accused calls for interpreter

By Geoff Mosher / News Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 27, 2004
WESTBOROUGH -- The Getty Mart convenience store clerk who allegedly took a $20,000 winning "Lucky Stars" ticket from a local college student last week had his arraignment postponed for a second time because a French interpreter failed to appear in court.

Antoine Y. "Tony" Reiche, 34, of 20B High St., Westborough, is scheduled to be arraigned on Feb. 2.

On Thursday, police arrested Reiche, a clerk at the 11 Milk St. store, and charged him with larceny over $250 for the Jan. 19 incident. The following day, Reiche had his arraignment postponed after defense attorney Ann Johnston asked for a continuance, claiming he needed a French interpreter. :roll:

Westborough resident Erika Schmitt, 18, a University of Massachusetts freshman, purchased the $2 ticket Jan. 19 and scratched it in the store. After discovering she had stars in all 10 spots on the ticket -- which pays $20,000 -- Schmitt showed the ticket to Reiche, who allegedly ripped the ticket out of her hand*, said she had scratched six stars and gave her $100, the corresponding prize for that number.

Schmitt later filed a complaint with local police. Westborough Police Chief Alan Gordon said police confiscated the store video, its daily reports, a printout of the lottery machine and the trash. The winning ticket, however, has not been located.

Gordon, who called Reiche's proclaimed language barrier a ploy, said police spoke with him during the investigation. Schmitt also said she had spoken in English with Reiche many times over the last few years when visiting the store.

Based on this story, makes you wonder whether the charge of robbery might have fit:
Whoever, not being armed with a dangerous weapon, *by force and violence, or by assault and putting in fear, robs, steals or takes from the person of another, or from his immediate control, money or other property which may be the subject of larceny, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
What I been telling ya!!!!!

Figures the ass-cheese wants an interpreter who speaks "frog"
Probably thinks if he makes it to the French Consulate, he'll be safe!
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I don't know much about how the lottery operates, but it seems like this girl is screwed. Hopefully the court talks this guy into kicking in the ticket, because I can't imagine there is any sort of ticket tracking system in place by the lottery. I'm sure they know what roll of tickets she bought it from, but not the specific ticket. Seems like she might be out $19,900 untill the civil suit that will probably arise.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lottery insider told me that the book seized immediately after the incident at the store checked with their master roll showed at least one $20,000 winning ticket in that book. The lottery will most likely check all remaining tickets in the book and if no $20,000 winner is found, they will wait 1 year from the date it was supposedly scratched by this girl. If no one turns in a winner, she may become the defacto winner. The PD seized the store's video camera so I am sure the Police invest will help any lottery invest. I hope she gets the money. I'd invest it, use the collateral to take out a loan*, use the loan to hire a good lawyer and sue Frenchy for the store, house, whatever I could then sell it off piece by piece so he could see his life dismantled before his eyes (through bars I'd hope).

*Of course I would never spend my own money on lawyers :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.