Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KENT, Washington (AP) -- A man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said.

Philip Quinn, 24, was found dead in his trailer home Sunday night by his parents.

"Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Hmm, a closed container, water rapidly turning into presurized vapor and it eventually exploded........................surely this man is a martar and Massachusetts must pass regulations on the new menance to our soecity..............LAVA LAMPS! 8O 8O

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmm, a closed container, water rapidly turning into presurized vapor and it eventually exploded........................surely this man is a martar and Massachusetts must pass regulations on the new menance to our soecity..............LAVA LAMPS! 8O 8O
martar + SpellCheck = martyr

soecity + SpellCheck = society

Sorry, but poor spelling (especially when SpellCheck is available) is one of my pet peeves. :lol: Good understanding of Boyle's Law though!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Hmm, a closed container, water rapidly turning into pressurized vapor and it eventually exploded
Who woulda thunk it :!:

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Not like i really wanna correct people or feel the need to or need to do it to feel better about myself...but for all the damn push-ups and flutter kicks i had to do for not remembering gas laws i figure i'll chime in.
boyle's law states: "at constant temperature, the absolute pressure and the volume of gas are inversely proportional."
the temp. was obviously not the same. i think u might be refering to charles/gay-lussacs law:
"at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the
change in the absolute temperature"
If the pressure is kept constant and the absolute
temperature is doubled, the volume will double.>>> which would lead to a ruptured lava lamp and a dead hick!

like i said i am not trying to b a peckerhhead but i remember weeks of being cold, wet & in the leaning rest yelling these gas laws. ofcourse i could be wrong and if i am- I am not doing push ups! :?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then you also should have remembered these constants apply to ideal gasses.. With a mixed media substance like a lava lamp where there are liquids, gases, semi solids, solutions, all bets are off.

Not that I think this guy was doing any experiments of that nature, but I would think Gibb's Paradox would have to be factored in as an extensive variable and quite possibly we might have to include work from the law of combining volumes.

So for that, drop and give me 20 rat brain. ;)

Not like i really wanna correct people or feel the need to or need to do it to feel better about myself...but for all the damn push-ups and flutter kicks i had to do for not remembering gas laws i figure i'll chime in.
boyle's law states: "at constant temperature, the absolute pressure and the volume of gas are inversely proportional."
the temp. was obviously not the same. i think u might be refering to charles/gay-lussacs law:
"at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the
change in the absolute temperature"
If the pressure is kept constant and the absolute
temperature is doubled, the volume will double.>>> which would lead to a ruptured lava lamp and a dead hick!

like i said i am not trying to b a peckerhhead but i remember weeks of being cold, wet & in the leaning rest yelling these gas laws. ofcourse i could be wrong and if i am- I am not doing push ups! :?

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
1.2.3..1, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, alright i quit I gotta save my strength- i gotta jump outta a helicoper tomorrow and i don't know if u know this but its rotor wash sux when ur in the water and a bird is hovering above u. Yeah i know that it applies to gases, also my knowledge is realted to diving explosives, and falling from the sky, and i am sure that it there are all sorts of laws and stuff, i was just keeping it simple. I am sure there is some law that would better relate to that than any that we mentioned but i saw boyles law there and i got that twitch and started the flash backs. so i figured i would chime in.

i can't believe we r actually having this conversation in a post about a guy getting killed in his trailer park by a lava lamp. i gotta get an x-box or start building model cruisers or something.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just don't blow yourself up, m'kay.

Are you guys running warlocks out there?

1.2.3..1, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, alright i quit I gotta save my strength- i gotta jump outta a helicoper tomorrow and i don't know if u know this but its rotor wash sux when ur in the water and a bird is hovering above u. Yeah i know that it applies to gases, also my knowledge is realted to diving explosives, and falling from the sky, and i am sure that it there are all sorts of laws and stuff, i was just keeping it simple. I am sure there is some law that would better relate to that than any that we mentioned but i saw boyles law there and i got that twitch and started the flash backs. so i figured i would chime in.

i can't believe we r actually having this conversation in a post about a guy getting killed in his trailer park by a lava lamp. i gotta get an x-box or start building model cruisers or something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in 1997, My roomate in college moved off campus at Westfield State College. During the night a lava lamp placed too close to a curtain caught the building on fire. He died in the fire from smoke inhalation. I hate those f**king things. Worst part was that he got out of the building and went back in to save his friend who unknowingly to him went out the back door. Rest in Peace Jamie.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its scary what can happen in a trailer... Maybe this guy didn't know someone already invented grenades. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.