Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Heheheh... those orange suckers can do a number on your vehicle. My mom swerved to avoid a deer on 93 up in NH about 5 years ago and hit a cone at the side of the road... totally destroyed one of her rims and the airdam cover came loose.

Regarding the cellphone law - isn't it actually a city ordinance in the People's Republic of Cambridge? Thought I heard that a while back.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
I was wondering...............

Where are we (Mass) with respect to operating a motor vehicle while on phone?
CH.90/13 apply?

I was doing a Mass Electric Detail this a.m. in Abington and Volvo-Mom decides to finally notice the bright pumkpin colored officer(me), orange cones, and two yellow trucks with red beacons and yellow strobes before running into us. You guessed it! she looked at me like I was an @*%-hole and changed the phone to her other hand while she turned out into the oncoming lane of traffic without slowing :eek:

Wish I had some sort of stop-stick launcher to shoot at these people

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think you might be able get away with citing under 90/13 I think all you really would need to do would be to establish why the operators talking on the cell phone impeded the operation of the mv. I know some one who citied a person once for this and won on a mag appeal. but it might have just been the J/M.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Courts can be fickle...but a cell phone 90-13 is winnable. Impeded operation..."or anything that may." Worked for me in Woburn.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Thanks Luap and Burner!

Took awhile for answers but it was worth the wait!
8)

·
1,952 Posts
mpd61 said:
I was wondering...............

Where are we (Mass) with respect to operating a motor vehicle while on phone?
CH.90/13 apply?
I just heard some talk about statewide requirements on headset/handsfree phones when in the car but didn't hear what stage it was on (proposal etc etc)

·
Registered
561 Posts
All of this has been being debated on the floor recently (see below). Right now, cell phone use is permitted as long as it doesn't interfere with driving and one hand remains on wheel at all times, school bus drivers are prohibited from using cells except in an emergency, and hands-free devices are required while driving in Brookline.

-Mike

State Considering Cell Phone Driving Limits
Committee Considering Plan To Require Hands-Free Devices

POSTED: 7:39 a.m. EDT June 16, 2003
UPDATED: 1:13 p.m. EDT June 16, 2003

BOSTON -- Young drivers would be prohibited from using cell phones while behind the wheel and more experienced drivers would have to use hands-free devices under proposed legislation seeking to reduce the dangers posed by distracted drivers.

The bill, which would ban drivers under 18 from using cell phones, follows on the heels of a call last week by the National Transportation Safety Board to urge limits on the use of cell phones by inexperienced drivers.

"Young people in particular use cell phones with great frequency and have comparatively less experience than other drivers," said state Sen. Jarrett Barrios, D-Cambridge, one of the bill's co-sponsors, and co-chairman of the Public Safety Committee.

"That is a recipe for danger to them and to other drivers."

The legislation, scheduled to be unveiled next week, will combine elements of nearly a dozen similar bills already filed this year. It would require drivers over 18 to use a hands-free device, and set escalating fines, starting at $250.

Cell phone industry representatives said they favor education to legislation, arguing improper use of cell phones are just one of many distractions that affect drivers.

"Studies have shown that changing the CD, eating, talking to kids in the back of the car, and a whole host of other activities can impair driving just as much as talking on a cell phone," said Travis Larson, spokesman for the Communication, Telecommunications and Internet Association.

He said legislation barring distracted driving was already on the books in every state.

But Barrios said that cell phone use in the car is so widespread that it's easy for the public to view it as not dangerous.

"The purpose of this is to clarify that this is not safe conduct," he said.

A handful of states already limit the use of cell phones in cars. New York became the first state to pass such a law in 2001. New Jersey and Maine have passed laws prohibiting those with learner's permits from using cell phones while driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts