Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chapter 245 of the Acts of 2008

AN ACT PROVIDING EMPLOYEES AT STATE COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES AND COMMUNITY COLLEGES HOLDING SPECIAL STATE POLICE OFFICER POWERS WITH LINE OF DUTY DEATH BENEFITS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same as follows:
Section l00A of chapter 32 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting after the word "officer", in line 17, in line 25, the first time it appears, and in lines 26 and 27, the following words:- , employee of a state college, university or community college holding special state police officer powers.
Approved August 4, 2008

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,422 Posts
Chapter 245 of the Acts of 2008

AN ACT PROVIDING EMPLOYEES AT STATE COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES AND COMMUNITY COLLEGES HOLDING SPECIAL STATE POLICE OFFICER POWERS WITH LINE OF DUTY DEATH BENEFITS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same as follows:
Section l00A of chapter 32 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting after the word "officer", in line 17, in line 25, the first time it appears, and in lines 26 and 27, the following words:- , employee of a state college, university or community college holding special state police officer powers.

Approved August 4, 2008
This should be looked at more closely. Give all these people the benefits they deserve but for the LOVE OF GOD remove that "special state police officer powers" clause. If/when they finally dump that and follow the laws written just for them (power-wise) this could be a serious problem. All you guys working at the public schools, you gotta work to get this wording changed. Whoever introduced this law seems to have had his/her heart in the right place (if I read it right and Lord knows, I hope I did) but that wording will kill you later on. Just think what you had to go through with the Registry for simply cite books!!!!!!!

G

·
This should be looked at more closely. Give all these people the benefits they deserve but for the LOVE OF GOD remove that "special state police officer powers" clause. If/when they finally dump that and follow the laws written just for them (power-wise) this could be a serious problem. All you guys working at the public schools, you gotta work to get this wording changed. Whoever introduced this law seems to have had his/her heart in the right place (if I read it right and Lord knows, I hope I did) but that wording will kill you later on. Just think what you had to go through with the Registry for simply cite books!!!!!!!
If the bill passes as written (which I regret to say I doubt will happen), the state college/university PD's can simply jump through the SSPO hoops to be covered under the law. As with so many other things in life, just tell the PTB what they want to hear.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
A whole five people including myself showed for the hearing on this in the summer 2006 when it was in committee. As apposed to 25 plus 4 or 5 different times for Ch90 citations not to mention half the college who dont enforce 90 were there at those meetings. I dont know about anyone else but I fell this was more important to me then some ch 90 citation book. Luckily the Death Benefits passed never-the-less, whether is says SSPO or not

State Campus police got to get their priorities straight!!!

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the bill passes as written (which I regret to say I doubt will happen), the state college/university PD's can simply jump through the SSPO hoops to be covered under the law. As with so many other things in life, just tell the PTB what they want to hear.
This passed, it is a session law of 2008 that passed.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
A whole five people including myself showed for the hearing on this in the summer 2006 when it was in committee. As apposed to 25 plus 4 or 5 different times for Ch90 citations not to mention half the college who dont enforce 90 were there at those meetings. I dont know about anyone else but I fell this was more important to me then some ch 90 citation book. Luckily the Death Benefits passed never-the-less, whether is says SSPO or not

That's pretty suprising. You would think that those who have children would come out in full force to support this one. I'm glad it got passed. Hopefully they will tweak the language to ensure peace of mind for all who deserve to be eligible.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,422 Posts
Congratulations Brothers and Sisters on getting this. You deserve it and God knows, the state owes you, BIG TIME.

·
Subscribing Member
996 Posts

This is because there are still too many whackers around. They would rather write Ch90 tickets instead of insuring the financial well being of there families.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
This is because there are still too many whackers around. They would rather write Ch90 tickets instead of insuring the financial well being of there families.
This guy MUST be related to Loyal!!!!
Anybody wanna bet real money?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts