Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dean College was notified friday of us organizing and given the chance to voluntarily recognize the unit. As of this monday we were all advised that we are all being laid off and TeamOps was taking over. Spread the word folks we need help!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,673 Posts
I'm sure that the Trustees and Senior Administrators are prepared to explain to the students and parent how seriously they take the safety and security of their community in these trying times.......Franklin PD have fun
:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I have information on this subject from a reliable source. Basically the situation is that the Dean College administration is a cesspool that is vehemently anti-union and anti-police and in a classic union busting attempt terminated every member of the current campus police department. This situation is the most blatant example of anti-union retaliation I have ever heard of.

The college president, Dr. Paula Rooney along with many others in the administration treat the campus police department like second class citizens, have for years created a hostile working environment, and the working conditions overall are absolutely deplorable for the officers working under the administration.

The public safety office or quarters the officers are forced to work in aren't fit for Guantanamo detainees, let alone a police department. I can speak on that first hand as I have actually seen the "office" or dungeon would be a more fitting word. The college provides substandard equipment and minimal training. The administration regularly force officers to do facilities and even housekeeping work that are not in the purview of police work. Also multiple issues and complaints regarding officer safety have simply been dismissed or not addressed at all by the administration. The administration also regularly retaliated against employees who make formal complains against the college.

Now you may say why continue to work there if it's so bad? Well you all know how difficult it is to get any sworn police position in Massachusetts and for some officers working there its a beginning for others it's a retirement gig but for some it's actually a career and many of them have been there for over 10 years.

In an attempt to unify and form a union to make Dean college a better and safer place for both the community as a whole and the department, The union was simply seeking better and safer working conditions for the officers.

Last Friday the union attempting to certify as the Dean College Camus Police Association notified the administration via their attorney through email that they are seeking voluntary recognition by the college as they had an excess of the required signed union authorization cards.

Last night the college systematically notified each and every officer, dispatcher, and sergeant as well as the chief of police and an administrative lieutenant (the chief and lieutenant were not included in the union) that the department is being dismantled/disbanded and everyone is terminated effective in two weeks time and team ops would be assuming control of "campus security".

The college did not run this by the town of Franklin police chief, deputy chief or any of the police unions in town. The college when asked who would be assuming police matters for the college stated that Franklin police will have to deal with it.

Now I would imagine the Franklin patrolmans union would have something to say about the thousands of extra calls they are expected to deal with as it seems it would be a change of working condition. All the while picking up the slack for a college administration that dumps it's police department and expects local police to deal with it, while paying zero tax dollars and frequently abusing town services.

The college has also failed to notify current student or their parents (paying 50,000+ per year) that they are replacing the police department charged with protecting their loved one with a sub standard level of service.

As a proud union member myself I can not let this stand, I hope all of you can get behind this cause and support these officers who are all out of a job right before the holidays, I know many of the officers there have young children and supporting them on the meager Dean officer pay scale was difficult enough already.

I will always support my union brothers and sisters whether municipal or private, certified or attempting to certify like the Dean officers are. Please spread the word throughout your departments and hopefully together we can help those officers out.

Please kindly excuse any and all grammatical errors.
Thank you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you guys signed cards, your union and it's attorneys should be filing with the nlrb. The college or any entity for that matter can not stop you from organization or participating in union activities including attempting to organize. furthermore the behavior of the college in that very fashion, by "laying you folks off" after your intent to organize is blatant anti union activity and reprisal for attempting to organize.... . It's illegal.

Your protected under the Taft-Hartly Act as well as the NLRA protect you and makes it illegal for those types of employer actions. Good LUCK!

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
So I have information on this subject from a reliable source. Basically the situation is that the Dean College administration is a cesspool that is vehemently anti-union and anti-police and in a classic union busting attempt terminated every member of the current campus police department. This situation is the most blatant example of anti-union retaliation I have ever heard of.

The college president, Dr. Paula Rooney along with many others in the administration treat the campus police department like second class citizens, have for years created a hostile working environment, and the working conditions overall are absolutely deplorable for the officers working under the administration.

The public safety office or quarters the officers are forced to work in aren't fit for Guantanamo detainees, let alone a police department. I can speak on that first hand as I have actually seen the "office" or dungeon would be a more fitting word. The college provides substandard equipment and minimal training. The administration regularly force officers to do facilities and even housekeeping work that are not in the purview of police work. Also multiple issues and complaints regarding officer safety have simply been dismissed or not addressed at all by the administration. The administration also regularly retaliated against employees who make formal complains against the college.

Now you may say why continue to work there if it's so bad? Well you all know how difficult it is to get any sworn police position in Massachusetts and for some officers working there its a beginning for others it's a retirement gig but for some it's actually a career and many of them have been there for over 10 years.

In an attempt to unify and form a union to make Dean college a better and safer place for both the community as a whole and the department, The union was simply seeking better and safer working conditions for the officers.

Last Friday the union attempting to certify as the Dean College Camus Police Association notified the administration via their attorney through email that they are seeking voluntary recognition by the college as they had an excess of the required signed union authorization cards.

Last night the college systematically notified each and every officer, dispatcher, and sergeant as well as the chief of police and an administrative lieutenant (the chief and lieutenant were not included in the union) that the department is being dismantled/disbanded and everyone is terminated effective in two weeks time and team ops would be assuming control of "campus security".

The college did not run this by the town of Franklin polic chief, deputy chief or any of the police unions in town. The college when asked who would be assuming police matters for the college stated that Franklin police will have to deal with it.

Now I would imagine the Franklin patrolmans union would have something to say about the thousands of extra calls they are expected to deal with as it seems it would be a change of working condition. All the while picking up the slack for a college administration that dumps it's police department and expects local police to deal with it, while paying zero tax dollars and frequently abusing town services.

The college has also failed to notify current student or their parents (paying 50,000+ per year) that they are replacing the police department chafed with protecting their loved one with a sub standard level of service.

As a proud union member myself I can not let this stand, I hope all of you can get behind this cause and support these officers who are all out of a job right before the holidays, I know many of the officers there have young children and supporting them on the meager Dean officer pay scale was difficult enough already.

I will always support my union brothers and sisters whether municipal or private, certified or attempting to certify like the Dean officers are. Please spread the word throughout your departments and hopefull together we can help those officers out.

Please kindly excuse any and all grammatical errors.
Thank you.
No need to post 4 times... Once is enough.

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Whoever is taking charge of your E Board needs to get ahold of your labor attorneys pronto and let them know what's going on. I'd also be contacting the NLRB first thing in the morning and advising them as to what has happened as well. Contact both the Franklin Pd's Chief and their officers union. Let them know what's possibly coming. If you guys really want to take the gloves off then a well written press release from your association to all the major news outlets in the area telling them what's going on might be in order. In this day of Mass Shootings and ISIS, parents want to make sure their little snowflake is going to be safe at school. College Admins generally are scared shitless of bad publicity. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the support, we have a hearing before the NLRB in Boston on the 16th.

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
Whoever is taking charge of your E Board needs to get ahold of your labor attorneys pronto and let them know what's going on. I'd also be contacting the NLRB first thing in the morning and advising them as to what has happened as well. Contact both the Franklin Pd's Chief and their officers union. Let them know what's possibly coming. If you guys really want to take the gloves off then a well written press release from your association to all the major news outlets in the area telling them what's going on might be in order. In this day of Mass Shootings and ISIS parents want to make sure their little snowflake is going to be safe at school. College Admins generally are scared shitless of bad publicity. Good luck.
You fight dirty...

I like it. ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Fightforyourrights,
- Within American law enforcement, the most egregious anti-union related firings would go to the City of Boston. ALL pro-union police officers, under the City's punitive theory of seditious communistic activites, were summarily dismissed from duty. The year of 1919 brought with it striking police officers assaulted by anti-union hired thugs, MA. National Guard Troopers and pathetically - Harvard University militia volunteers. Post strike; post negotiations, all of the striking officers were banned, fired, for life.... An ugly phase of our LEO history.
- This action by Dean College Board Members unfairly puts an non-agreed upon number of increase in calls for service onto the Franklin PD.'s shift officers and dispatchers.
- Is "Team Ops" a private security company ?

Fight hard and fight long for your legal rightful action to vote for a union without punitive and unjust action from a employer. Hopefully you guys are on terra firma and I will be following this with solidarity interest. Best of luck Dean PD...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fightforyourrights,
- Within American law enforcement, the most egregious anti-union related firings would go to the City of Boston. ALL pro-union police officers, under the City's punitive theory of seditious communistic activites, were summarily dismissed from duty. The year of 1919 brought with it striking police officers assaulted by anti-union hired thugs, MA. National Guard Troopers and pathetically - Harvard University militia volunteers. Post strike; post negotiations, all of the striking officers were banned, fired, for life.... An ugly phase of our LEO history.
- This action by Dean College Board Members unfairly puts an non-agreed upon number of increase in calls for service onto the Franklin PD.'s shift officers and dispatchers.
- Is "Team Ops" a private security company ?

Fight hard and fight long for your legal rightful action to vote for a union without punitive and unjust action from a employer. Hopefully you guys are on terra firma and I will be following this with solidarity interest. Best of luck Dean PD...
Thank you sir and yes TeamOps is private.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Curious to see how this one plays out. I had friends that used to work there, when I was a CPO and they used to tell me horror stories about how the administration treated them. They did have some decent calls for such a small school.

A couple guys on Franklin, used to work at Dean and know how it is there. I am sure they will be very supportive. Team Ops is used at Gillette Stadium has zero standards as far as hiring.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,673 Posts
Simmer down Mr I Just Joined Masscops TODAY. Nobody expressed non support. You've received many supportive replies here. A moderator threw a dig at you for redundant posts. Get over it.
NO! You get over it Nyah nyahh!
:p
Back on topic: Hire a simulated active shooter to go to the next Trustees meeting, start shooting as he enters the building, and spray them with blanks. Then call the Franklin PD and time how long it takes them to get there while the shooter continues to scare the shit out of potential victims........

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
NO! You get over it Nyah nyahh!
:p
Back on topic: Hire a simulated active shooter to go to the next Trustees meeting, start shooting as he enters the building, and spray them with blanks. Then call the Franklin PD and time how long it takes them to get there while the shooter continues to scare the shit out of potential victims........
I volunteer as tribute.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts