Dealer/Repair Plates | MassCops

Dealer/Repair Plates

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by PATS246, Apr 25, 2004.

1. PATS246

PATS246 New Member

I am looking to find out some info on Dealer/Repar plates. Is the person operating a vehicle with one of those Dealer or Repair plates suposed to carry some type of certificate or documents for the plate? Secondly, are the vehicles that carry those plates supposed to have current inspection sticker? I thought that those plates could only be used on vehicles in the performance of thier work.
    Case in point...I always see the same s*** boxes traveling down the road with repair or dealer plates, mostly repair plates every day. It always seems that some guy who works at a garage throws a repair plate on his car to drive around without being properly registered. I see the same people drive around all the time, day in and day out with no inspection sticker , expired sticker with repair plates. They are obviously using the vehicle for personal use, as opposed to business use. Anyone have any insight or info I would appriciate it.

Also wondering how you run one of those plates? Many times there is a small letter before or after the numbers... how does one enter those into LEAPS?

Thanks

2. MatchStick

MatchStick New Member

To run the plates, use the R9 and/or R10 prompts for Section 5 plates. It will tell you who the plate is to, but not the vehicle specifics.

I was under the impression that any vehicle with dealer plates should not display an inspection sticker at all, because the inspection sticker is to be voided between each sale or transfer.

3. PATS246

PATS246 New Member

Thanks for the info. Part of my question was, when entering those plates into the computer, do you enter just the plate number, and/or do you enter the smaller letters that may or may not be adjacent to the full numbers. Example, dealer plate ab JNKCAR??

4. TheFuzz357

TheFuzz357 MassCops Member

USE OF A REPAIR PLATE

A repairman may only operate with the registration, motor vehicles, trailers or tractor-trailer combinations:

1. Controlled, but not owned by the repairer and operated for the purpose of repairing, altering, equipping or reconditioning the vehicle or any transportation incidental thereto (a repairman can put repair plate on a customers car and test drive it while he is repairing it), and not for commuting or other personal use; or

2. Owned by the repairer an designed to draw, tow or transport motor vehicles and displaying a compliance decal issued in accordance with 540 CMR 18.03 (a repairman can put repair plate on a tow truck as long as the tow truck has a compliance decal or registration receipt). Such a vehicle may tow or transport an unregistered motor vehicle pursuant to MGL chapter 90 section 9, if the towing vehicle is properly registered, displays a repair plate, and maintains insurance which also provides coverage for the motor vehicle being towed; or

3. Owned by the repairer and used primarily in the repairer’s business (a repairman can put repair plate on a parts or service vehicle as long as business name is displayed and the vehicle has a compliance decal or receipt), and displaying on the vehicle the business name and the municipality where the business is located in permanent lettering at least 1 ½ inches in size, which is plainly visible from each side or from the front and rear of the vehicle; or

4. Owned by the repairer and classified as a total loss salvage motor vehicle as defined in MGL chapter 90D section 1, if the following conditions are met:

a. The motor vehicle is being transported for purchase, sale, repair, or testing; and

b. The operator carries a bill of sale or salvage title for the vehicle;

5. Purchased by the repairer and transported within 10 days of the purchase date and the operator is in possession of the bill of sale and the seller’s certificate of title or a receipt for the repairer’s application for a certificate or title;(They are allowed 10 days because MGL 90D gives you 10 days to title your vehicle) or

6. Owned by the repairer and operated for the purpose of removing snow from the business property.

USE OF A DEALER PLATE

A dealer may operate or tow a motor vehicle or trailer, which is owned by the dealer or manufacturer and is operated principally for demonstration or sale related purposes. (see RMV letter below)

A dealer may operate a motor vehicle owned by the dealer using the plate for the purpose of removing snow from the business property. The dealer may not plow other people's property, but may drive a dealership owned snow plow, registered with their dealer plate, on a public way from one of his lots to another of his lots to plow snow.

A dealer may not operate a motor vehicle owned by the dealer as equipment utilized in the operation of the business of said dealer, such as a courtesy bus or parts or service vehicle. A dealer cannot operate a vehicle on a dealer plate when that vehicle is used to pick up or deliver parts for the service department or used to pick up or deliver people.

The registry of motor vehicles issued a letter authorizing dealers and their agents to operate vehicles "for sale" for any purpose. The Registrar allowed the expanded use because of excise tax amendments which were signed into law by then Governor Paul Cellucci. This letter was written from M.G.L. Chapter 60A Section 1.

The letter from Registrar Richard D. Lyons dated December 30, 1998 states the following:

Beginning on January 1, 1999, the following described individuals, and only these individuals, may have unrestricted use of a dealer owned motor vehicle being operated with the general registration plate assigned to the dealer.

1. a dealer

2. the spouse of the dealer

3. a co-owner of the dealership (holds at least 40% interest)

4. the spouse of a co-owner

5. any employee who works at least 20 hours per week as a salesperson for the dealer

Unrestricted use means that an individual occupying one of the positions described above, and using the vehicle with permission of the dealer, may use the vehicle at any time and for any purpose, including for personal use.

The letter also requires the vehicle to display the window stickers on any vehicle being operated with a dealer plate.

Consumer information stickers, required by state or federal law to be attached to motor vehicles offered for sale by dealers, must now be displayed on any vehicle being operated with a dealer plate, according to the new law. Such stickers are normally required on passenger vehicles, sport utility vehicles and pick up trucks.

A used motor vehicle must have:

1. Used car byers guide

2. Used vehicle warranty law

A new motor vehicle must have:

1. Manufacturer's suggested retail price

2. New and lease car warranty law

:D

5. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Saved that to my computer !!

May I ask where you found the info?

6. Foxracingmtnridr

Foxracingmtnridr Subscribing Member

I got back into the car business for a few months and then got back out cause i got laid off but most dealerships will have the sales consultant, Manager, Owner, Have the registration taped to the back of the plate so it isn't lost. I know that's the way it is at the dealership I was working at. I also kept a copy in my wallet that way i didn't have to get out and take the plate off the back of the car.

Scott

7. TheFuzz357

TheFuzz357 MassCops Member

Crvtte,

The MSP Online Academy has a class on Dealer/Repair Plates. I cut and pasted some of the key info. If you go to msponlineacademy.com you can get info on how to get a password and logon to take classes. :D

8. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

A little off topic but I got a kick out of all of the cars in GA with a piece of cardboard on the rear of the vehicle with "TAG APPLIED FOR" in black marker. I must have seen at least 50 of them in the past two weeks.

9. Dr.Magoo

Dr.Magoo Subscribing Member

Are locals allowed to access this info. or is it just for MSP personnel? I checked the web site and could not find any information on how to register. The site does sound like a good idea.

10. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Yes they are you just need a letter from your chief.

In order to access the MSP Online Academy, you will need a letter from your chief stating that you are a member of the ABC police department. you will also need your agency code and ID number to enter you into the system. You can fax the letter to
    508-867-1100 or send it to

Sgt. Dale Kiley
    Director of Online Training
    Mass. State Police Academy
    340 West Brookfield Rd.
    New Braintree, MA. 01531

11. tomahawk

tomahawk MassCops Member

12. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

Dealer / Repair plate violations are easy to write for but can be tricky. I always go the civil route for misuse and get responsible findings from $100 to the full $500. Most of those who misuse them havent caught up with the law changes and give you the old standard answers from the early 1990's. I have the applicable laws & changes since 1994 if anyone wants more in depth info. One more tip, when you see a dealer plate, valid reason for stop is failure to display used buyer's guide and/or implied warranty stickers (90-7N1/4 & 90-7N1/2). Most of the used car world dont put them on their cars and they are by far the biggest misusers of dealer plates. Lastly, whenever you write a company for misuse, I recommend typing an incident report, copy the citation and forwarding them to the Compliance Section of the RMV requesting an admin hearing. There is no way to tell if a company has previous history of violations except thru Compliance. First offense is written reprimand; second offense loss of plate for XX days; etc etc

13. billywalker

billywalker New Member

i see that there aren't any post since 2004 dose anyone have a more updated URL for the RMV's website as far as what section 5 plates can be used for

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

As a reward for reviving the oldest thread ever at 14 1/2 years, you deserve some type of award.
    Here. I used this thing called Google for you. Which existed in 2004 as well.
    Section 5 Registrations