Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe the answer would be "no," because a dealer or farm plate can be used on whatever vehicle needs to be driven at the time, and I have seen more than a few out there that would have no hope of passing inspection.
For instance, a farmer who needs to haul hay across town to a horse farm would slap a farm plate on his hay truck, then come home and put the same plate on his rusted out old pickup to drive to the grocery store. Likewise, an auto dealer who gives a customer a test drive simply grabs an available plate from his office and places it on the vehicle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
offlan";p="70838 said:
Do vehicles that have dealer plates or farm plates need to be inspected?
When a vehicle is aquired by a dealer, one of the first things they are supposed to do is scrape off the "old" inspection sticker. So, no a dealer plated vehicle does not have to have an inspection sticker.

Farm plates...See one of the previous responces, they said it quite well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Vehicles with farms plates *DO* require state safety inspections as well as any commercial vehicle run on a repair plate, ie wrecker, flatbed, shop truck. They need what is known as a compliance decal on their rear window. It's pretty much proof of excise being paid or something to that effect.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Dealer plates DO require an inspection sticker IF they are used X days in a row by the same vehicle, to wit: A salesman who has the use of a "demonstrator" vehicle which he drives to/from work and is garaged at his house. The difficulty is in "proving" that the plate has been in use for X days on the same vehicle(used to be seven days, I think...sorry, I do not have a MV book handy...).

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
dcs2244 said:
Dealer plates DO require an inspection sticker IF they are used X days in a row by the same vehicle, to wit: A salesman who has the use of a "demonstrator" vehicle which he drives to/from work and is garaged at his house. The difficulty is in "proving" that the plate has been in use for X days on the same vehicle(used to be seven days, I think...sorry, I do not have a MV book handy...).
I was in the business for years and I had atleast 100 Demos and never did I have a sticker or did i ever see a demo with a sticker. Even if It's too hard to prove.

Scott

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Farm plates do have to have a sticker and the vehicles are actually "registered" on a given plate or set of plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts