Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
SPINMASS said:
CoppyBoy, please tell us all about your experience in Law Enforcement. I have a feeling it won't even come close to Soxrock's experience. For the record I have been with Soxrocks on some great arrests that he has made.
Thanks SpinMass for those kind sentiments. Did you hear that V91 was "asked" to resign? I fell on the floor laughing when I heard that one! What goes around comes around!!!

Coppyboy should put his diaper on, grab his PBJ and warm milk and run home to Mommy. He is way out of his league here and doesn't even know it. Although I will admit that the thread is entertaining.:crazy:

Enabling legisation for park rangers outside the 128 beltway, i.e. the former DEM State Parks, now DCR State Parks.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/132a-7a.htm

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIX. AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION

CHAPTER 132A. STATE RECREATION AREAS OUTSIDE OF THE METROPOLITAN PARKS DISTRICT

Chapter 132A: Section 7A. Chief park ranger; park rangers; violations of environmental regulations; non-criminal disposition

Section 7A. There is established within the department of environmental management, division of forest and parks, the position titles of chief park ranger and park ranger, provisions of the General Laws or any special law to the contrary notwithstanding. Said positions shall not be eligible for the provisions of Group (4) retirement benefits.
The chief park ranger and park rangers appointed and employed by the department of environmental management, when appointed deputy environmental police officers, shall enforce all regulations promulgated pursuant to section four A of chapter twenty-one, and section seven of chapter one hundred and thirty-two A and section sixteen of chapter two hundred and seventy, shall search for lost or missing persons or department property, and shall assist the bureau of fire control in both suppression and detection of fires.
A park ranger who has been appointed as a deputy environmental police officer who observes any violation of regulations promulgated pursuant to said section four A of said chapter twenty-one, and said section seven of said chapter one hundred and thirty-two A, may request the offender to state his name and address. Whoever upon such request refuses to state his name and address may be arrested without a warrant and shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars and not more than one hundred dollars. Said ranger may, as alternative to instituting criminal proceedings, give to the offender a written notice to appear before the clerk of the district court having jurisdiction at any time during office hours within twenty-one days after the date of such violation. Said notice shall contain the name and address of the offender, offense charged, signature of the officer and option of the offender acknowledging that the notice has been received. The clerk of courts shall maintain a separate docket of all such notices to appear.
If any person notified to appear before the clerk of the district court fails to appear and pay the fine provided hereunder or, having appeared, desires not to avail himself of the procedure for the non-criminal disposition of the case, the clerk shall notify the ranger concerned, who shall forthwith make a criminal complaint.
Any person notified to appear before the clerk of the district court for a violation of said section four A of said chapter twenty-one, and of said section seven of said chapter one hundred and thirty-two A, may so appear within the time specified and pay a fine of fifty dollars. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, all fines and penalties recovered for violation of rules and regulations made under authority of this section shall be accounted for by the clerk of the court and forwarded to the department of environmental management to be deposited as revenue and shall be applicable to the department's retained revenue account.
Park ranger may, through independent contractors, remove from any area or way subject to their jurisdiction or control and store in any convenient place any vehicle parked or standing thereon in violation of any law, or rule and regulation, except a vehicle owned by the commonwealth or a political subdivision or by the United States or an instrumentality thereof or registered by a member of a foreign diplomatic corps or by a foreign consular officer who is not a citizen of the United States and bearing a distinctive number plate or otherwise conspicuously marked as so owned or registered; provided however, that such removal and storage shall be at no expense to and without liability on the part of the commonwealth. Liability may be imposed for the reasonable cost of the removal, and for the storage charges, if any, resulting upon the owner of the vehicle.

Authority of Park Superintendants
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/132a-7.htm

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIX. AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION

CHAPTER 132A. STATE RECREATION AREAS OUTSIDE OF THE METROPOLITAN PARKS DISTRICT

Chapter 132A: Section 7. Rules and regulations; concessions; powers and duties of forest supervisors, park superintendents and laborers

Section 7. The commissioner, in consultation with the director of the division, may make rules and regulations for the government and use of all property under the control of the division, including all roads and highways wholly or in part within the boundaries of such property, including rules and regulations relative to hunting and fishing, except in great ponds not inconsistent with the laws protecting fish, birds and mammals. Such rules and regulations may also provide for the payment of fees and other charges for the parking of vehicles and for the enjoyment of other special privileges within the territory under such control. The commissioner shall cause such rules and regulations to be posted in the territory to which they apply. The sworn certificate of the director of the division that the same have so been posted shall be prima facie evidence thereof. Violation of such a rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding twenty dollars. The commissioner may grant concessions for the sale of refreshments and other articles and the furnishing of services within any such territory.
Forest supervisors, park superintendents and laborers employed by the division, while employed in state forests, state parks or reservations, including roads and highways, shall, within the limits of said forests, parks or reservations, except great ponds, have and exercise all the powers and duties of constables, except service of civil process, and of police officers, if so authorized in writing by the commissioner.
The enforcement officers of the office of law enforcement shall, within the limits of such forests, parks or reservations, including roads and highways, except great ponds, have and exercise all the powers and duties of constables and of police officers except service of civil process.

Primary regulations that they would enforce
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/legal/downloads/3041200.pdf

Link to all cmr's under DCR.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/legal/regulations.htm

MtBiker said:
Enabling legisation for park rangers outside the 128 beltway, i.e. the former DEM State Parks, now DCR State Parks.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/132a-7a.htm
...and don't forget their primary mission: protecting picnic baskets at Jellystone State Park...:cool:

</IMG>
Chief801, strawberry or egg cream flavor? (SNL too many years ago...;) )

ch 132a s 7a only applies when the ranger is appointed as a deputy environmental police officer, which i believe only a handful of the full time former dem rangers are.

ch 132a s 7 is only in effect when authorized by the commissioner in writing and if you notice does not list rangers and someone who would benefit from this section.

for what it's worth i did see a ranger blocking off a parking lot on Carson Beach this past week. there was a big tent set up on the beach. guessing some some sort of inner-city event ?

anyways the Troopers were doing the traffic control and the rangers were doing parking lot duty.

what or if any of that falls under "law enforcement" duties , i don't know

13 and 3/4ths years later......................

Reactions: Goose
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.