Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Police One

Saturday 8th December, 2012

PUYALLUP, Wash. - Two heavily armed intruders who forced their way into a home with an illegal marijuana grow operation were shot and killed by the homeowner Thursday morning near Puyallup, officials said. Law enforcement personnel responded to the scene, a luxury home in the 5900 block of 132nd Street, just after 8 a.m. when the homeowner called to report a break-in, said Ed Troyer of the Pierce County Sheriff's Office. The homeowner then c...

Read more

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Here's an interesting question. Will these people be disqualified from having an fid card or a ltc? That should be interesting. I think NES has a lengthy thread on the subject.

G

·
Here's an interesting question. Will these people be disqualified from having an fid card or a ltc? That should be interesting. I think NES has a lengthy thread on the subject.
This discussion came up recently in a class I was in, and more in regards to hiring marijuana-dependent individual as police officers. The general consensus is that police officers (and for the same reasons - LTC/FID holders) need to be of sound mind and in good enough health for the responsibility of driving at pursuit speeds, applying deadly force, carrying a firearm, etc..

If you've got such a severe medical condition that requires marijuana just to "take the edge off", I steadfastly believe that both the illness and the "medication" are inherent disqualifiers under the Fitness for Duty (for LEO) and Suitability for Licensing assessments.

If I encounter some "back pain" patient high as a kite carrying on an LTC, I'll take my chances at creating caselaw by seizing the firearm and writing a letter to the licensing authority.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I was reefer ing to the owners of the shop. Lets pretend for a second they were not pot smokers, they just owned a business that grows pot for medical use. How could they be denied the same ltc that lets say a pharmacist filling scripts for oxys or bartender pouring drinks is issued?

G

·
Do we take firearms and LTC's away when someone is prescribed percocets or oxycontins?
It depends.....are they impaired? My father was on Oxycontin when he had cancer, but all it did was dull the pain. In no way was he impaired to the point I ever thought I should take his guns away.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Lets consider we are in MA. If you are on the government handout list, there is no way they will violate your rights as you are a needy victim and they will not take anything from you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This discussion came up recently in a class I was in, and more in regards to hiring marijuana-dependent individual as police officers. The general consensus is that police officers (and for the same reasons - LTC/FID holders) need to be of sound mind and in good enough health for the responsibility of driving at pursuit speeds, applying deadly force, carrying a firearm, etc..

If you've got such a severe medical condition that requires marijuana just to "take the edge off", I steadfastly believe that both the illness and the "medication" are inherent disqualifiers under the Fitness for Duty (for LEO) and Suitability for Licensing assessments.

If I encounter some "back pain" patient high as a kite carrying on an LTC, I'll take my chances at creating caselaw by seizing the firearm and writing a letter to the licensing authority.
So if you have any prescription for say anti anxiety meds or say for depression meds they can't have a ltc and would be dq from any LE job?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.