Dashcam Shooting | MassCops

Dashcam Shooting

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by Hush, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Here's a tough one to critique. Primary officer is cool and collected, identifies holster, driver says it's a BB gun, more officers arrive, she picks up the BB gun and is shot. Information/perspective is relative, probably could have been avoided if she was removed from the car. Not sure the outcome.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

RodneyFarva likes this.
  2. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

As always, I'm glad the officers are OK.

A frontal approach isn't advised unless absolutely necessary since it makes it easier for the bad guy to shoot you. The officer was standing in the middle of the window the whole time, a bad place to stand. If she came out with the gun quickly and smoothly, he would have been shot had it been a real gun and she had bad intentions.

Considering the comments of the radio call, we would have taken her out of the car right away. Since they didn't do that, as soon as the officer observed the holster, we would have backed away from the car, found cover if it was available, and called her out of the car with her hands up. Plus there was a crossfire when they were standing across from each other at the car doors.

I never would have let her rummage through the car once the holster was seen for the exact reason of what ultimately happened.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Drebbin, Joel98, Sooty and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

I'm confused... good thing I'm not a cop.

Joel98 likes this.
  4. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

I was under the impression that only officer to shoot is the one who can see and identify the lethal threat.

Joel98 and mpd61 like this.
  5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

That's a good impression, you're correct. If you're going fire your weapon and use deadly force, it should be because you've identified a threat that is imminently going to cause you serious bodily injury or death.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Sooty, Drebbin, Joel98 and 2 others like this.