Darrell "Shifty" Powers (merged threads) | MassCops

Darrell "Shifty" Powers (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Military News' started by 7costanza, Feb 13, 2009.

1. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I bought Band of Brothers box set, this has to be one of the finest pieces of movie making ever made. I guess its actually not a " movie " its a mini series . If any of you have not seen it pm me your address and I will personally pay to ship it to your home and when your done you can ship it to another members, thats how amazing it is.

2. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

re: Darrell "Shifty" Powers (merged threads)

"this has to be one of the finest pieces of movie making ever made."

You said it Cos! Band of Brothers is one of my favorites as well. Theres nothing like turning up the surround sound and feeling like your in Normandy!!

3. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Capt. Spiers: "The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it."

4. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I always look to buy the box set, its just so damn expensive I can never suck it up and dish out the money. last time I checked it was like $98. Has it gone down?

5. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

I usually abscond the whole box set from my father. Love to watch it!!

6. Piper

Piper MassCops Member

Weekend before last the Gaelic Column played a dinner for the Glock Company in Orlando and the Band got to meet guests Carwood Lipton and Buck Compton (we also got to hang out w/ R. Lee Ermy who MC'd the event). They are both well into their 80's and there is only a handful of the guys still alive today. It was truly an honor to have met them.

7. Mad-Dog24

Mad-Dog24 MassCops Member

they should make Band Of Brothers part of all of our promotional exams. Illustrates what true LEADERS are. If we were in Normandy with our Command Staff now we would all be killed on the beach

8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Band of brothers in a nice tin box set is down to around $35+ at Wally World mart

9. 7costanza

One of the things that amazes me is how hated the US is by other Countries such as France, yet we saved their coward frog asses.

That must have been great, every time I see an old timer with a WW2 cap on I always find myself talking to him, in some small way showing my appreciation for their sacrifice.

10. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

I have had the box set for about 7 years now. I got it as a Christmas preent when it first came out. Out of all the DVD's that I have, these are the only ones that I watch several times a year. Hell, I even watch the edited versions on the History Channel when they come on.

If you have the DVD's, you should watch the whole series first and then watch the documentary afterwards where they interview all of the soldiers and they recount their time from Camp Toccoa all the way up to Germany. Yes, they interview the soldiers during the series but you never find out exactly who they are. I am not ashamed to say that I shed a tear or two when watching it........

11. pucknut

pucknut MassCops Member

If you have a DVR the History channel runs the whole series at least once a year so you could do it that way. Last time I saw it in the store it was around $90.00. Does anyone think it was better than Saving Private Ryan?

12. 7costanza

Are u kidding I was crying like a schoolgirl..it was that good.

Because it was made by the same people, Spieldberg and Hanks it felt almost like the same movie except twice as long, they even used the same music at times. If your asking my humble opinion I would take Band of Brothers.

13. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Absolutely better than P.R. Not that PR sucks but Band of Brothers is in a class of its own. Best war "movie" ever made. Great character development. You see the best and worst of folks. We all have known many of the personalities of those in the movie just by being in a semi-military organization. Promoting incompetence really plays out and cost many lives.

14. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

The ONLY reason I would pick Band of Brothers of Private Ryan is that it's not fiction. Otherwise, I could not pick a better of the two.

I'm a real history buff and WW2 in particular and especially Germany v. the USSR. If you're at all interested in that side of the conflict, "Stalingrad" is a fantastic movie. A German movie that, although there are a few questions here and there (loose ends that never get explained) it's one hell of a movie. First time I saw it I just sat in a trance. Fiction, yes, but it gives a pretty good view of what it was like for the average German soldier in that situation, and despite being a German film, it in now way makes the Germans as a whole seem like the victims. It doesn't make them heroes or villians, just a bunch of guys doing the job for their country.

As for tearing up at Band of Brothers, yup, me too. SPR as well. When the veteran, Pvt. Ryan at the end asks if he's been a good man, how can you be a normal human and NOT get choked up?

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

One of my drill sergeants was at Hamburger Hill, and the only thing he ever said about it was "A lot of my friends died that day who didn't want to".

What gets me is the beginning, when he finds the captain's grave, falls to his knees, and starts crying as his family rushes over to comfort him.

16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

have to check that series out the next time i'm in wally world.

as a side note the WWII memorial in DC is a good take if in the area.

saw it a couple years ago . went at night and it's a great tribute to the veterans of that war.

17. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I was actually deployed the first time I watched BoB. It put my situation into perspective and reminded me how easy I actually had it. When we watched it as a squad, one of my buddies yelled to fast forward through the opening interviews with the Easy Company vets. My leadership gave him a five minute smoking for the disrespect.

Also, I highly recommend Ken Burn's "The War" for those of you who haven't seen it (even though the set is pretty expensive). Parts move me to tears as well. The companion coffee table book was recently at borders for $12.99, money well spent.

18. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

There are some movies I'll only watch once, not because I dont like them but because theyre that realistic and emotional.Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, We were Soldiers Once and of course Blackhawk Down....

19. irish937

irish937 MassCops Member

There is a new mini series in production called "The Pacific". Spielberg and Hanks did this one as well. It focuses on the Marine Corps Pacific battles of WW II. A few of the actual marines are seen and quoted in Ken Burns' "The War". I guess it is set to be released sometime this year or next.

20. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Not that "Band of Brothers" isn't a great series, but where the hell have you guys been...it came out like eight years ago...

Have you guys been catapulted from the past?

Wait for it....

Wait......

[​IMG]

I'll use any excuse to pull out Doc Brown and Marty McFly!!

21. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

22. 7costanza

Dear Friends-

Many, many of you have sent me notice that Shifty Powers of the heroic Easy Company, 2-506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, died on June 17th. I had no idea that he had passed on. I have written a lot about Easy Company (Band of Brothers) and even have an autographed photo (Bill Guarnere) on my desk of the jump into Holland for Operation Market Garden.

Aside from a few newspaper stories and one bit on Brian Williams' NBC newscast, there was hardly any notice. That just doesn't seem right, does it?

Today, July 20th, we're hosting a virtual memorial for Shify Powers.

Here's a video on YouTube and a post at Blackfive about Shifty.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUZR0MGQMw"]YouTube- easy co. heroes[/nomedia]

BLACKFIVE: Airborne Icon and Hero Passes On - Godspeed, Darrell "Shifty" Powers

We'd appreciate you posting a virtual memorial on FB and Twitter to honor Shifty Powers.

For Twitter, @warriororg is the WLF Twitter account and #shiftypowers will help raise awareness among Twitterers about Shifty.

Thank you for helping America to remember and honor a truly great American.

Airborne!

Matthew Burden
    Chairman,
    Warrior Legacy Foundation

23. jnamc

jnamc MassCops Member

Very sad to hear about the passing of Shifty. I am equally sad that this is the first I have seen of this thread. I watch Band of Brothers twice a year and it seems to affect me greater each time I watch it.

Growing up hearing the term "greatest generation" thrown around I almost felt insulted. I then watched Band of Brothers for the first time and this year read Dick Winters bio. I must say greatest generation is an understatement. These men were some of the greatest this country has ever produced only short of our founding fathers possibly.

Every american should watch this mini-series and read Maj. Winters book, especially someone in the field of Law Enforcement.

24. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

I watch that series for the first time when it came out on HBO. It was the best TV that was ever produced. I own a copy of the DVD ans still watch it time for time. Still as moving as when it first came out. They truly were the great generation.

25. 7costanza

IMO ...the best piece of film EVER made PERIOD!!