Dallas officer dies while serving warrant | MassCops

Dallas officer dies while serving warrant

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by CJIS, Jan 7, 2009.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Dallas officer dies while serving warrant
    [SIZE=-1]Houston Chronicle - 54 minutes ago[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]AP Texas News © 2009 AP DALLAS - A veteran police officer was shot and killed Tuesday night when he and other gang-unit officers attempted to serve a felony warrant for aggravated assault at an apartment complex in southeast Dallas.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Dallas officer fatally shot while serving a warrant [SIZE=-1]Fort Worth Star Telegram[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]DPD Gang Unit Officer Shot, Killed [SIZE=-1]MyFox Dallas[/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

A 26-year-old man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting of veteran police officer who was trying to serve a warrant.
    Sr. Cpl. Norman Smith, 43, was shot in the face Tuesday night as he and five or six other gang unit officers knocked on an apartment door.
    Charles Patrick Payne remained in jail early Wednesday on the capital murder charge. Another man questioned in the case was being held on an outstanding felony warrant, and a third was questioned and released, police said.
    Police Chief David Kunkle said the officers did not identify themselves while attempting to serve the felony aggravated assault warrant, in hopes of getting the suspects to answer the door.
    "This was a high-risk situation. As soon as they made contact, there was gunfire. The officers were tactically well-positioned, but they were immediately met with gunfire," Kunkle said.
    Smith had been in the gang unit for 14 years and would have celebrated his 18th anniversary with the department Wednesday. Kunkle described him as a great officer with the "heart of a warrior." Kunkle said Smith was a former officer of the year. His wife, Lt. Regina Smith, also served on the Dallas Police Department.
    Smith was well-known throughout the department and in the community, Kunkle said.
    "Norm was doing exactly what he wanted to do," Kunkle said.
    Smith's death was believed to be the nation's first fatal shooting of an officer in the line of duty this year. Texas led the nation in law enforcement fatalities last year, with 14, The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday in its online edition.

3. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

RIP Sr. Cpl. Norman Smith.

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Dallas police identify officer shot in face, killed while serving warrant

By Tanya Eiserer, Scott Goldstein
    Dallas Morning News

DALLAS, Texas — A veteran Dallas gang-unit officer was shot and killed Tuesday night while trying to make an arrest at an apartment complex in east Oak Cliff.
    Senior Cpl. Norman Smith, 43, was with about six other officers serving a felony warrant in the 4900 block of Wadsworth Drive. Smith knocked on the door of an apartment about 6:15 p.m. and came under fire almost immediately, police said.
    He was shot in the head and taken to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, where he was declared dead about an hour later.
    Three suspects were taken into custody, police said. The men were being questioned and had not been identified.
    Police Chief David Kunkle said the officers serving the warrant were attempting a "ruse to try to get the suspects to the door without announcing that they were police officers."
    "This was a high-risk situation," Kunkle said. "The officers were tactically well-positioned, but they were immediately met with gunfire."
    Smith joined the department in 1991 and would have marked his 18th year on the force today. Smith had an extensive knowledge of Dallas' gangs and was described by Kunkle as one of the department's finest police officers.
    "I would have thought he was invincible," Kunkle said Tuesday night, choking back emotion. "He was a great, great street officer. He had the heart of a warrior."
    Smith's death was believed to be the nation's first fatal shooting of an officer in the line of duty this year. He is the first Dallas officer shot to death in the line of duty since Mark Nix in 2007.
    Lt. Sally Lannom, a former member of the gang unit, described Smith as a hard worker who knew his job well and would be sorely missed.
    "It's a huge loss for the department and a huge loss for those of us who knew and loved Norm," Lannom said.
    Smith was married to Dallas police Lt. Regina Smith. They met when Norman Smith was working at the Dallas County Jail.
    "Norm was working there, and he came up to her and said, 'You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen,' " Kunkle said.
    Lannom said Smith was an expert on the gangs in the southern sector, where Tuesday's shooting occurred.
    "He worked that area in patrol," she said. "He knew that area. It made sense when he came to the unit to become the expert on the gangs in that part of town."
    Kunkle said Smith "could go into the toughest neighborhoods and be respected."
    On Tuesday, Smith and about six other gang-unit officers were in search of a violent felon at the Oak Wood Place Apartments, police said.
    Smith, flanked by two other officers, approached the door and knocked. Someone inside asked who was there, and Smith responded with a fake name, police officials said.
    When the suspected gunman opened the door, Smith yelled that they were the police, according to the preliminary investigation. The suspect then tried to close the door, and Smith pushed back. That's when he was shot.
    Officersreturned fire, frantically trying to pull their fallen comrade out of the line of fire as the gunman opened the door and continued shooting. No one else was injured in the gunbattle.
    The three men inside the apartment then surrendered, one at a time, within minutes of the shooting.
    Hours afterward, a SWAT unit remained at the scene, and police officers roamed the complex on the northeast corner of Wadsworth and Loop 12.
    Surrounded by a black wrought-iron gate, the apartment complex has long been known as a haven for drug and gang activity.
    In 1998, it was the scene of a gunbattle between police and drug suspects. Someone fired through an apartment wall, hitting Dallas police officer Edward Menchaca in the hip. A second police officer was grazed by a bullet.
    The officers were investigating a tip that a drug deal was going on inside the apartment.
    Kunkle said Regina Smith, who works in his office, was devastated by the news, just as he was.
    "These are just people that I have tremendous love and affection for," he said. "They're all tough, but for me this is a really difficult situation."
    Built like a middle linebacker, Smith stood well over 6 feet tall and was known to be even-tempered, opinionated and even sentimental. Lannom said she was introduced to her husband by Smith.
    "I still remember Norm standing there all embarrassed, asking me if I wanted to go out with Jon," Lannom recalled. "I owe my husband to Norm."
    Lannom said Smith's mother is from Europe, and he spent a portion of his youth there. Before joining the Dallas police, Smith worked as a Kaufman County sheriff's deputy.
    The Smiths have two teenage children, a boy and a girl. Those who knew the couple well said they enjoyed antiquing, collecting fine china and traveling in their off-hours.
    "They were just magical together," Kunkle said.
    Staff writers Marissa Alanis and Joanna Cattanach contributed to this report.

[​IMG]Wire Service

5. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Man who killed Dallas officer claims self-defense

By Scott Goldstein
    Dallas Morning News

DALLAS — The man accused of killing a veteran police officer last week in southern Dallas says he acted in self-defense because he did not know the people at his apartment door were police.
    Charles Patrick Payne, 26, claimed in a television interview Tuesday with KDFW-TV (Channel 4) at the Dallas County Jail that he heard a knock at his door, asked who it was and got no response.
    "As soon as I cracked the door, boom, somebody hit me in the face with the door," Payne said. "I don't know who it is. Nobody didn't say nothing. So how was I supposed to know who these people are?
    "So I reacted. I felt my life was in danger; I reacted."
    Payne, 26, faces a charge of capital murder in the fatal shooting Jan. 6 of Senior Cpl. Norman Smith, 43, who was attempting to serve a felony warrant on another man at the apartment on Wadsworth Drive.
    Dallas police said that Payne asked who was there from behind the door and that Smith responded with a fake name to lure him. When Payne opened the door, investigators said Smith, in uniform, yelled "Police! Police!"
    Shots were immediately fired from inside, police said. Payne tried to close the door, and Smith pushed back and was shot one time in the head, police said.
    The shooting continued as Smith's colleagues pulled the mortally wounded officer away.
    Someone called 911 from the apartment after the shooting. Payne claimed in the interview it was him calling for help, though police have said it is unclear who made the call.
    Police found a hidden .38-caliber handgun, marijuana and cocaine inside the apartment.
    William Jobe, 29, also in the apartment, was arrested on the felony warrant that the officers were trying to serve. A third man was questioned and released, police said.
    Asked how he feels about Smith's death, Payne said, "I got plenty of remorse for that man."

[​IMG]Wire Service