Curious about Secret Service UD | MassCops

Curious about Secret Service UD

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by Pats2009, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

Was wondering if anybody works or did work for the Uniformed Division. I was just looking for info on the job, the pros & cons etc. I was thinkin of getting out of Mass and try something different...

2. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

One telling point: I was in a Secret Service basic class( Criminal Investigations Training Program) and not one of my classmates was prior UD. UD is well paid and tfhey have good details. I have worked with former UD guys who became Special Agents in other agencies. They were happy to get out. UD is always second class to the 1811s.

3. trm2311

trm2311 New Member

id1811xecj,
    Do you have to have a Bachelors degree to go from UD to Special Agent? or do they count time as a UD for experience?

4. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

While I believe that Secret Service does not technically require a Bachelors degree, it would be difficult to be competitive in their applicant pool without one. Most of the guys in UD have degrees. There was not one guy without a degree in the Secret Service side of CITP. About half of the Customs side had degrees.

5. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

At last check a bachelors degee is required for all "agent" positions. In many of those posts newly graduated candidates must also possess high grade cums and/or prior experience.

6. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

For agents (GS1811), ICE, ATF, and USMS have regularly hired agents without degrees.

7. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Applicants must be U.S. Citizens, at least 21 years of age, physical and written testing, background and drug screening and a 4-year college degree. Once hired as a new ATF Agent there will be a significant amount of law enforcement training. 9 weeks in Glynco, GA where new agents are trained in surveillance, arrest techniques, firearms training and other skills. New agents then spend 13 weeks at FLETC where they are trained on explosives, bomb scene investigation and other similar areas.
    ICE officers require no degree however Agents do require a four year degree. U.S. Deputy Marshals will only be hired if they have three years prior law enforcement experience or a four year degree but the degree, now particularly with an internship program with a college or university but right now it's even tougher:
    For Deputy U.S. Marshal positions, the U.S. Marshals Service is currently limited to hiring individuals who:
    -- Are completing an authorized Cooperative Education Program with the Marshals Service through an accredited College or University;

8. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

It is a pretty intense process to get hired as far as backround etc.....they send you down to FLETC for 12 weeks for the UPTP...down there you are held to higher standards.....your PT is a little more intense and with academics you are required to perform better than others...you then go up to beltsville where you attend that academy for 12 more weeks..it is a lot of post work..do gates and check IDs etc...but you do get to travel alot and there are diff teams that you can get on..countersniper team etc...real good pay but you have to move to DC...and if you want to be an agent then you have to go to the CITP program down at FLETC...but you do get to say you work for the Secret Service

9. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

Yes that is correct

10. llama

llama MassCops Member

If you have a college degree and law enforcement experience, you can get as "out of Mass." as you want if you can get accepted into the Dept. of State's "Diplomatic Security Service". A lot of the jobs are focused on keeping our embassies safe from the bad folks, but there are security detail jobs both inside the US and worldwide. Even the folks in embassies get into the details when various types of delegations or Secretaries or various others come to town.