Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought someone on the job could give me a little insight as to how things are. I will be graduating from college in May and desperately want a job in LE here in Massachusetts. Recently I've been giving some thought to the corrections side of things. Are there people who work for DOC with degrees? Also, what amount of weight will be given to the fact that I'll have a degree in CJ and a minor in Spanish (I am bilingual), as well as being an EMT. Thanks for your time. In other words, do I stand a good chance of getting hired and is the job fun???

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are alot of really nice, decent, level headed, intelligent, fair but firm C.O.s in all the DOC facilities, .... but, there are also some insecure, negative, loudmouths who think shooting their mouth off is a sign of courage. Those few are a pain in the ass to work with, shallow and obnoxious. I worked in 2 high security DOC facilities for close to 10 years and made several great friends that i respect big time. If you go into the DOC - remain YOU - don't make the mistake that some officers do and talk like the idiot inmates- - that is disrespect to your family. You need to remain you ; the conscientious, intelligent person that was hired -- don't become one of the shallow wimps that develops the language and negative attitudes that the loser inmates demonstrate and then blame it on your environment..... that will always be lame and weak in the eyes of the decent men and women that are are honorable correction officers - -but unfortunately, it is not uncommon. Great pay and benifits. Great people to work with- for the most part - , great opportunities for advancement. Great opportunity for variety - ie: fugitive apprehension . I had fun, experienced alot, learned alot and saw things most people do not. I thought it was interesting. Many of the police officers i work with started as C.O's (not deputies). It gives you life experiences that result in calmness during an emergency , much like the military, which is a sound foundation for police officer candidates. Go for it .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input :) It's nice to have feedback from people who actually have been there. I'll look into it and prob. sign up for the test.

G

·
EMT, Many people with degrees work for the DOC. What that will mean for you is an extra $100 or so per pay check ($2500 per year.) The type of degree makes no difference. Being bilingual will score points in the interview but better yet it will help you on the job. Are you white/black/spanish? If cons do not suspect you of speaking spanish then keep it a secret. It will give you the upper hand because they discuss things they do not want the COs to hear in spanish! Being an EMT will not make a difference on the job because the jail is stacked with nurses and some doctors on 7x3. Above all though, if you are a smart level headed person and interview well you will have no problem getting the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.