Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is do the MASS state police offer any discounts for CT C/O's who live in CT?. The whole HR218 is kind of fuzzy. 10 people 10 different answers. Any got any info on this,thanks I live 1 mile from the border and really don't want to spend $100 a year on a permit.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
The question is do the MASS state police offer any discounts for CT C/O's who live in CT?. The whole HR218 is kind of fuzzy. 10 people 10 different answers. Any got any info on this,thanks I live 1 mile from the border and really don't want to spend $100 a year on a permit.
LTC's are $25.00 for Mass PO's in their town of residence. I doubt the MSP is going to offer discounts to out of state CO's seeking non resident permits.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The question is do the MASS state police offer any discounts for CT C/O's who live in CT?.
Unfortunately, no.

The whole HR218 is kind of fuzzy.
Not really, it just doesn't apply to you. I'm sure the MSP will not give you any flak about a non-resident LTC, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as the CT DOC person: HR218 applies to Police only. Not saying it is fair or anything (I actually could care less), but that is the way it is.[/quote]
Also....HR218 DOES NOT apply to "Police Only"!! Please show me in HR218 where it states the exact title of the individual categorized under HR218. Please dont discredit others whom may be in Law Enforcement but are not "Police Officers" It clearly states:
www.grandlodgefop.org/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf
Who is eligible to carry concealed firearms under this legislation?
Qualified law enforcement officers employed by or retired from a local, State or Federal law
enforcement agency.
A qualified active law enforcement officer is defined as an employee of a government agency
who:
1. Is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation,prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
2. Has statutory powers of arrest;
3. Is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
4. Is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;
5. Meets the standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
6. Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing a firearm.
Although HR218 may not cover all C/O's accross the nation, in Massachusetts "IT DOES". Although some may not agree, according to the Department of Public Safety-State Corrections Officers ARE Law Enforcement. C/O's in Massachusetts meet all the eligibility requirements under HR218 if the individual has recieved their "Special State Police" commission. If the C/O does not have their commission I would say that in my opinion, I would be very careful.
That said.....no matter what your job title is or whom your employer is please be safe, with the economy the way it is being in Law Enforcement is becoming even more dangerous!!!​

The way it was explained to me at my last renewal was that cops who live in a town/city other than where they work are supposed to pay $25.00 and go through their town of residence
Sorry but i would have to disagree!!
First of all it is entirely up to the city or town in which you reside for them to allow a person in law enforcement to pay $25.00. It is at "THEIR" discretion. They can make you pay the $100.00, although i dont agree this is what i was told from an individual at the Dept of Public Safety.

·
2,297 Posts
Well, the guy asking the question is a CT C/O. They don't have powers of arrest, so he's not authorized. Again, not like I care but that's the law. If I were him I would just get the Ma LTC and have some peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I thought that they reduced the fees again after Devil tried to raise them last year.... What happened?

I knew that I read something about that... I just picked up that it was an older post but the article came out in July. Are they still charging a hundred bucks?

Massachusetts House votes to reduce gun license fee

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 By DAN RING
[email protected]

BOSTON - The state House of Representatives Tuesday killed a disputed proposal by the governor to raise license fees for guns - and then voted to dramatically lower the existing fee.
With formal legislative sessions set to end at midnight Thursday for this year, the Massachusetts Senate voted to approve $1.7 billion environmental bond bill that includes money to improve the grounds of the Three County Fair in Northampton and to prepare the old Belchertown State School for redevelopment. The bond bill was approved in the House last week.
The Senate, aiming to boost participation in elections, also voted 33-5 to approve a bill to allow voters in general and state elections to register to vote on Election Day itself. The bill would allow people to register as little as 14 days in advance, down from the current 20 days, or on the day of the election. The election bill was sent to the House, where its fate is unclear.
In a surprise move, the House voted 94-57 to lower the fee for a firearms license from $100 to $40.
The proposed $40 fee was approved as part of a more comprehensive bill filed by Gov. Deval L. Patrick. The bill calls for raising money to help finance the state's near universal health care law.
When Patrick filed the bill on July 13, he proposed to increase the fee for a six-year firearms license from $100 to $200, establish a new annual $100 license inspection fee for gun dealers and hike the fee for someone from another state to carry a firearm in Massachusetts from $100 to $250. Patrick was seeking to raise money for state services.
House leaders stripped out the governor's proposed fee increases before the bill reached the floor for a vote.
Sen. Stephen M. Brewer, D-Barre, said legislators sent a message to the governor.
"That ought to teach Governor Patrick to ask for a gun license increase," Brewer said. "Bring in an increase and we lower it."
Brewer said he would support the proposal to lower the fee, but he didn't know how it would fare in the Senate....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Who is eligible to carry concealed firearms under this legislation?
Qualified law enforcement officers employed by or retired from a local, State or Federal law
enforcement agency.

So not County Deputies ? What about Campus Police who work for the State ?

G

·
So not County Deputies ?
I would say "yes", based on this (provided they meet the other criteria concerning authorization to carry a firearm, etc.);

is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest

What about Campus Police who work for the State ?
Again, provided they meet the other criteria, I would say they're covered also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts