Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

I'd want my cruiser to be a...

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
So Here is the Caprice that is made in Ausi

2006 six-litre, 270kW / 362hp V8 engine which delivers a "brutal" 530Nm / 391ft-lbs of torque. Standard equipment includes Electronic Stability Program (ESP), DVD player with twin rear LCD screens, 18" alloy wheels, Bose premium 10 speaker sound system, xenon headlamps and tri-zone electronic climate control. The build quality, ride and overall refinement of the Caprice were all regarded as being superior to the previous model. In Australia, the six speed automatic, 6.0L V8 Caprice

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well as long as we've brought back an old post, lets bring back an old cruiser-
1975 Plymouth Gran Fury with 440 cid engine and 4 bbl carb. Put the car in drive, keep your foot off the gas or brake, and cruse at 20mph just at idle.
Or how about a 1977 Ford Galaxie 500? So big the front bumper and rear bumper had different zip codes. You could run over a shopping cart and call your partner(on the intercom) and ask if he felt something.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Ahh...The old Plymouth Fury...someone as old as I!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
How can you NOT have the new Charger on that poll?
Seriously, have you seen MSP 600?

Inspector said:
Ahh...The old Plymouth Fury...someone as old as I!!!!
I have a buddy with a Fury - you don't see many of those around.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
TacEntry1 said:
Me....Charger is stupid unless your state police and need the extra power. Crown vic is more comfortable and IMO looks better. Also, the the small windows are stupid.

Here is what a cop from ConnCops wrote about there charger:

I have sat in it, and at 6'4 its quite cramped, and im not too fond of the small windows. The deep bucket seats make it tough to get out quickly, and i think with the cage in it, its gonna be tough to even fit a smaller person in the back
</IMG>

G

·
The Italian State police were given a gift of a Lambergini for the 100th anniversary of the department. It's a real working patrol car, radar, roof lights,medical kits, radios and computer. Pretty sharp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
People miss the caprices and now long for the dodges becuase of the power.
CVPI is a good car, but it has less hp, less gas mileage(even though its lighter), and ..was plagued with that nasty exploding gas tank problem than a car that hasn't been made in 10 years.

The sad thing is you know Ford COULD make a CVPI that had enough power to really move.

like the dodge charger or not, I'm glad that someone has thrown another option into the market. It may be just the trick to force Ford or GM to up the ante and make a really great car..... well we can hope anyway.
either way...
CVPI is a nice car but has no balls
Chevy Wimpala is nothing more than a rebadged Lumina- besides its FWD
who even likes to drive a FWD car?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Newer models (2005 and up) have the 250hp which is plenty fast...
Ford has some good plans for there future police vehicle..

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah, but the thing is Chevy had a cop car with the option of a 260 hp plant starting in 1994.... hell in 94 even the "base" engine was a 4.3V8 with 200 hp

12 years later Ford is just starting to get the hint.

in the mean time, some PDs not effected by the rust belt have sent Caprices to be "refurbished" for about half the price of a new CVPI. (if I remember correctly the price was around 12 or 13 grand, and this was maybe 4-5 years ago, so I'm sure most of those cars have reached the end of thier service life..again.)

Seems that the market is pretty clear about what it wants, but none of the big 3 can seem to "build it right" these days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The base engine in the 94 cvpi was like 224hp 4.6
I was talking about the chevy engine

I don't know about the 1994 offerings from Ford, but I think you might be misinformed.
My copy of the 1996 Michigan State Police tests say:

1996 Caprice:
base engine:
4.3L V8 265 ci
200hp @ 5000 rpm (SAE NET)
240ft.lbs @ 2400 rpm
1/4 mile 18.05 @ 80.18mph
0-100mph 32.00 seconds
top speed 120 (governed)

option(the majority of caprice police cars had this engine):
5.7L V8 350 ci
260hp @ 5000 rpm (SAE NET)
330 ft.lbs @ 2400 rpm
1/4 mile 16.14 @ 88.00mph
0-100mph 21.47 seconds
top speed 139mph

1996 Ford CVPI

4.6L V8 281 ci
210hp @ 4250 rpm (SAE NET)
270 ft.lbs @ 3250 rpm
1/4 mile 16.89 @ 83.83mph
0-100mph 25.18 seconds
top speed 135 (governed)

MSP numbers don't lie, 10 years later Ford is still lagging in the power plant dept.

also FWIW
I ran a 15.38 @ 91.97 mph at Lebannon Valley Dragway in NY with stock chevy with a 5.7 motor
CVPI stock ran a 16.214 @ 84.27mph
PB is a 14.6 @ 94 but that was in cold weather

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Not that you have ever driven a 05 or crown vic or ever will but there really not that slow.

reno911_2004 said:
05 Crown Vic :thumbup: They are friggin quick! The power definitely got bumped up. I agree about the ignition, I dropped the keys on a couple occations when getting used to it, I don't know what that change was about.
Jasper said:
the 05 crown victorias are nice cars ! they are rockets, are comfortable and have excellent control. .
</IMG>

patroldan81 said:
Love our new CV! Lots of go-go pedal to get into trouble :D , Only
40th MPOC#309 said:
I just got assigned an '05 C/V-LOVE IT! Got out of a '00 w/123K on it-like night and day. I like the new fat steering wheel, but I agree w/you guys on the ignition key size, smaller is not better. It also has rack and pinion steering, I wonder how it will hold up versus the old steering box? I've been anointed the cruiser maint. troop-what do you guys think of switching the fleet over to Mobil 1???
Edit

I cant edit a typo!Damn!

21 - 40 of 107 Posts