Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on what is out there for computer software, and cruiser computers. What the best are and what most depts are using these days. Also any info on the cost of upgrading from an older system would be appreciated.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
By no means do I have full insight into this but I will tell you what I have seen:

A few departments seem to have ruggidized laptops/notebook computers...The ones I have seen most recently are called "Toughbooks" then have a magnesium alloy case, are mil spec, can get wet, dirty, dropped, etc and so on. They have wireless internet, the most recent one I saw had a touch screen and a removeable screen.

As for software, that's sort of a department level thing. If youa re asking what software should we buy for our department, I have no real clue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My crusier computer and software consists of a highly rugged and durable note pad with an optional Kevlar/Goretex/Thinsulate hybrid suction cup for windshield mounting. :thumbup:

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
The department I work for uses "PacketCluster" which seems to work well. The cruisers used to have toughbooks, but now use more modern looking 'things' that have a seperate computer, monitor and keyboard. I have heard, though, that many departments are moving away from packetcluster. (Also the "In House" information can be accessed from the cruisers.)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, my Dept uses microsystems I was just wondering what else is out there.......Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MassIrishCop...

Has your department upgraded to Microsystems' new mobile network or are you still using the old 'F4-F1-F4-freeze up-shut off' system? We were supposed to go online with the new system a couple months ago but nothing yet... well besides a nice notepad holder where my computer used to be!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
There are a few companies in mass that deal in public safety software. The best in my opinion is IMC then PAMET and lastly QED (Quickly Erases Data)

IMC is a nice complete package and to outfit a small city dept runs roughly about 72,000. Thats complete with in-house and cruiser software.

http://www.imcus.com/

http://www.pametsystems.com/

http://www.qed.com/

From what I understand just about every dept. in RI uses IMC and soon they will all be networked together, sharing booking data, photos etc...

Packet Cluster is the standard for cruiser laptops, good program works 60 percent of the time, the other 40% is because the RMV is down :evil:

The new Panasonic Toughbooks are a nice laptop if your not using it in a cruiser, the springs in the display are week and the damn thing keeps falling down with normal driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As far as software for the laptops PSG is probably the best. PSG is now known as Bio-Key. PSG is the laptop software that MSP, NEMLEC, Brookline, Wellesley, Wayland. I just did the project for my department. To buy 5 Panasonic CF-29's and 1 Itronix handheld unit with 4 cruiser mounts the cost of the project was about $60,000. You can also access your in house RMS or CAD in the cruisers as well. The staff at PSG were great to work with.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Screw laptops!
I carry this around in the cruiser. B109 model Pre-Pentium and not a lot of RAM, but boy is he armored well, and a great visible deterrent!!!!!!!
:wink:
Plus as you can see, he's a real chick-magnet!
:lol:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
mpd61";p="52478 said:
Plus as you can see, he's a real chick-magnet! :lol:
PEDOPHILE ALERT PEDOPHILE ALERT PEDOPHILE ALERT

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
GIL!

Stand-down son! You know she's older than 14, right? Gil? You believe me, don't you Gil?
:L:

·
Registered
95 Posts
My department uses the Packet Cluster software as it is easily linked to the stations IMC software. Both seem to work well. Also we have just upgraded to the Panasonic MDT terminals with built in keyboard light. The oinly drawback to these is that the keys are rubber coated and makes typing a little difficult.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
POPCOP";p="52492 said:
My department uses the Packet Cluster software as it is easily linked to the stations IMC software. Both seem to work well. Also we have just upgraded to the Panasonic MDT terminals with built in keyboard light. The only drawback to these is that the keys are rubber coated and makes typing a little difficult.
Does the screen actually stay in position while driving? Ours either leaning against the dash or ends up closing against the keys. Really annoying for a laptop that is designed to be in a cruiser and touted as the toughbook.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My department uses the panasonic "Toughbook" based on the windows XP operating system. "Packetcluster" used for all CJIS needs. Although "Packetcluster" provides a computer aided dispatch system, we use IMC to perform that function.

One area that is crucial when ordering these systems is to determine whether or not your information is going to delivered via radio based or cell based receivers. If your city/town/campus has weak cell coverage, go with the radio based. When your randomly querying plates its aggravating when you don't have a signal. Its even more aggravating when you receive a delayed hit (WMS/NCIC/REV/INSCAN/SUS) and the vehicle is long gone. For those departments that utilize the CCPD WATCHER cell system, as your probably aware, this service is being ended effect January 06'. Ensure you tell the Chief early to secure the funding to replace the service.

The Toughbook name speaks for itself, from the deliberate sabotage to the accidental coffee spill, they take a beaten....very little downtime.

·
Subscribing Member
4,343 Posts
We use Dells Latitude D600 laptops with Packetcluster. When we looked at the price and performance of Panasonic Toughbooks and Motorolas it was not financially sound to pay $4000+ for a laptop when we got four new Dells for $6000 with 3 yr warranty on everything. The only problem we had with the Dells are the hard drives in the winter. They freeze, you turn a cruiser that was not used for a couple of shifts and the hard drive pins break. Dell replaced the hard drives in only a couple of days, but I still had to re-install everything. We are going to CDMA very soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know I asked this in another post, but I did not get any replies..so, anyone know of any grants to pay for the laptops or the software. Our department currently has no computers in the car and we are looking to use grants to purchase some. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts