Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have the problem of seeing a bad guy try to screw on you and when you hit the gas all of the sudden your cruiser has a top speed of 30 MPH? :oops:

I went to go after a car last night and my vic felt like either:

A: the tranny did not want to shift.

or

B: felt like I flooded the system and the car shut off the gas.

The only way I could get any speed out of the car was to feather the accelarater almost letting off when it was supposed to shift.

This has happed to four of our cruisers over the last month, anybody else having this problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gil, our 2002 just had the same problem (well, similar anyway). Guy went to gun the gas, and it died as soon as he did. Went to the shop, diagnosed as bad coil packs. All of them had to be replaced to the tune of $600.00 +.

2002 CV with 68,000 on it. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Gil,

I know there is a recall on all the crown vics for just this problem. The fix is they open a portal in the floor boards so you can stick your feet down and run after the offending vehicle. Good Luck.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just knew FORD would take care of us with a recall :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's face it, Crown Vics suck! They are merely family sedans with blue lights. I drive a 2001 fully marked. It's top speed is only about 127mph with quite a bit of unsteadiness. The Chevy Caprice I turned it back in 01 hit 130 during a chase and still had more gas pedal to spare. It was tight at any speed, on any road. The Chevy was a REAL police car. The Ford is a dog! rhl :twisted:

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
I don't know Masstrooper, this cruiser here looks pretty mean.

P.S. Hate those center caps, get the full wheel covers back on :D

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rpdmounted said:
Gil, our 2002 just had the same problem (well, similar anyway). Guy went to gun the gas, and it died as soon as he did. Went to the shop, diagnosed as bad coil packs. All of them had to be replaced to the tune of $600.00 +.

2002 CV with 68,000 on it. Just my 2 cents.....
That's what it was, bad coil packs. Mechanic says it's all fixed now but he has been wrong before (many many times before) We'll see.

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
Yeah, I had a 2000 CV and had problems with them, especially the squeak squeak. The OEM with no Ford emblem in the center seem to be great. I got a 03 CV with those funky wheel covers that screw on to the lug nuts. You should be up for a replacement CV anytime now.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,750 Posts
Hey Gil!

I have an 2001 Hyundai XG300. I'll come over and drag you when I get off shift some night. It's really a neat car. Looks like Jimmy's Crown Vic that raped a Volvo S60 and this was the bastard result. It does get up and go good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Two summers ago, I took a visiting British officer (Dorsett County, UK) on patrol. Before going out to the Chevy Caprice, I talked up the muscle it had and how well it handled. We went out back to the car, I puffed up my chest and proudly asked, "What do you drive?" I figured he drove a roller skate with a two stroke motor. "Oh, I drive a Volvo 850 Turbo on patrol." I almost sh_t! My jaw dropped when he said he's had it up to 150 MPH (not KPH)! Later that morning, we chased a crotch rocket MC. It took over 17 miles just to catch up at 130, but we got the job done. The guy on the MC flashed a badge, but that's another story for another time. I hear the Intrepid police package is a dog too. Any other info on them? rhl

G

·
i think Chevy should bring back the v8 engine options in thier cruiser packages (9C1?). The v6 they offer just doesnt cut it. They are fine for local town and city patrol, but they suck for overall chase/open response power.

as for the crown vics, you get good batches and bad batches. ive seen a 1992 CV go 170K+ with no problems, and that car was tooled on by all the rookies. ive also seen a 2001 with only 20K need a new tranny. there are many factors in determining how well the car will hold up, obviously one of them being the abuse it takes.

The gearing in the CVs versus the 91-96 caprice was higher, hence the top speeds being slightly different. Overall, the Caprice was a better pursuit car.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
davemcs said:
I'll pass on the CV P71...and stick with my Chevy Caprice 9C1...unmarked to boot!
Looks like a VASP cruiser in the background and a VA inspection sticker on the unmarked.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have a 2001 CV with 65,000. It ran pretty good up until it hit about 30,00. Now it has lost all of its get up and go. You hit the gas and wait for it to kick in. Handles like crap. Another one is a 2002 CV with alot of balls, handles real tight and good acceleration, then we have explorers that are only good for snow driving.

G

·
While you are all driving marked up cruisers, I'll be Pimpin in my Hoop 'D ride in low pro. Notice you cant see any lights there all deep deep under cover.

G

·
mopar6972 said:
Parking in a handicapped spot really adds to the "under undercover " look
You cant see it in the picture but in the next handicap spot over is a brand new marked MSP cruiser. :shock:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts