Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, got a question for you boys and girls..

A 2000 Grand Marquis with less than 50k and in beautiful shape has come into my possession.

Except for the performance features of the CVPI, am I right in assuming they are relatively similar in most other specs?

The reason I ask is the previous owner waited for a day or so after a blizzard before driving as it performed pretty poorly in snow and modest slush.

I'll likely sell it or give it away, but should I decide to keep it for a while, whats your advice for making it a little more winter friendly?

Is it all in the tires? Weigh down the trunk? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Koz, it's the same vehicle underneath the cosmetics. Both are based on the Ford's Panther platform. Aside from creature comforts like leather seats, extra soundproofing and digital dash in the Merc, they are both the same. Same basic engine, same rear wheel drive, same winter driving habits.

My grandfather used to put bags of sand in the trunk, one on each side of the trunk to give a little more weight back there in his old land yachts. If he got stuck, he used the sand. Snow tires help, a good set. I guess if it's really bad you can switch to chains, but that's super slow going.

G

·
Actual chains are in the past, they're cables now but they work really, really well. Even in the worst blizzard I've never gotten a cruiser with cables stuck.

Koz, if it's got a limited-slip rear that will help a lot. Other than that, a good set of snow tires and stock the trunk with ballast. Kitty litter is good because it's cheap in bulk, the bags won't leak like sandbags tend to, and it will provide traction in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've got a 99 Grand Marquis- Imagine that- a cop driving a car almost ten years old- so much for all of us making over 100K a year at lucrative police details.
Anyhow I throw a half a dozen cinder blocks in the trunk every winter and that seems to help.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Koz!
Did you get it from your great-aunt for your Birthday? (lucky ass-man you)
I love the Grand Marquis, Ballast the trunk and let me know if you want to sell it this spring okay buddy?
;)

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Yes, chains are A-O-K in NH, but I think the ballast and snow tire route would be a better bet.

mpd61 said:
Koz! Did you get it from your great-aunt for your Birthday?
What's up Wood! No, it was the old mans "Land Yacht" as Johnny aptly puts it..
I just thought I'd drive it for a while, for sentiment mostly.

mpd61 said:
I love the Grand Marquis, ...let me know if you want to sell it this spring okay buddy?
You got it. I'm a truck guy. I haven't driven a car as my DD in 25 years.
But it is a comfortable car though, I have to admit it.
When the time comes to cut it loose I'll shoot you an e-mail...

In the meantime I'll throw a set of 4 Blizzaks on the boat and grab a half dozen bags of kitty litter...

Thanks again for the advice fellas. :thumbup:
(Funny I never had this problem with my Bronco, F250, or Tacoma..) ;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I used to put 50 lb weight plates in my trunk. Worked ok, and a decent set of snows on all 4 tires (not just rear). Also a shovel never hurts..lol Personally in NE we either get a s-load of snow or we get next to nothing. If you can tough out 4 or so snow storms a year in that boat then keep it. Other wise drive slow and do doughnuts.

Also, its a panther platform same as the CV, same motor etc except it has a carpet and doesn't have all the cooling options that a CVPI does such as tranny cooler, oil cooler, etc. Other then the chrome grill and bigger reflectors on the rear fascia its almost identical exterior wise to a CV.

G

·
The good thing about the Cherokee is that nobody knows how old it is until you say it since the body has barely changed in the last 20 years. ;-)
It's also the Dodge Dart of our generation; if you have the 4.0 I-6 engine, it will run forever with regular maintenance.

G

·
The good thing about the Cherokee is that nobody knows how old it is until you say it since the body has barely changed in the last 20 years. ;-)
Delta wishes he could say the same about himself.......... hahahahaa. Actually, don't we all?

G

·
Delta wishes he could say the same about himself.......... hahahahaa. Actually, don't we all?
Hey...my hairline hasn't moved a single millimeter since high school; divesting my interest in Miller Lite and a bottle of this stuff will fix me right up! :p

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts