Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collision Under Investigation

BOSTON -- Police said a crossing guard was hospitalized with severe head injuries early Tuesday after being hit by a vehicle outside a school.

The unidentified guard was hit before 9 a.m. outside the Mathers Elementary School at Parish and Winter Streets near Adams Park in Dorchester, police said.

She was taken to Boston Medical Center. There was no immediate word on whether the driver who hit her stopped or was located

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/17768651/detail.html

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Crossing Guard Hit, Injured Outside School

Driver Could Face Charges In Crossing Guard Crash

Police say they are talking to an 86-year-old man, who is cooperating with authorities.
WBZ

DORCHESTER (WBZ) ― In eight years as a crossing guard, Marie Conley has never expressed concern about the danger, according to her oldest son, Jim.

"She had fun doing it. I mean, this doesn't happen every day, I know it's dangerous working the streets, but she's never mentioned how dangerous it was," said Jim Conley, a firefighter and paramedic who lives in Florida.

He and other family members have been keeping vigil at the Boston Medical Center, where Marie Conley is in critical condition.

Known as Miss Marie to the Mather School students she guides across Winter Street every day, Conley was severely injured Tuesday morning when she was struck by an elderly driver.

"We need everybody to say prayers for my mother," said Conley. "She's still in critical condition. It's day by day and that's how we're taking it."

Police have not identified the 86-year-old driver. According to police, witnesses report the driver went through the crosswalk at about 20 miles per hour, failing to slow down when Conley signalled for traffic to stop for a 10-year-old student. Investigators know his brakes were in working order because they tested them.

"Based on the facts of the accident, we believe criminal charges will be forthcoming," said Deputy Superintendent Thomas Lee. "The school traffic supervisor was in full uniform with reflective vest, she was standing in a crosswalk. There's no reason she should be struck."

Lee said the charge would likely be operating to endanger. While charges have not yet been filed, Lee says the driver's license has been suspended for public safety reasons.

Jim Conley says he believes there should be tighter regulation of older drivers.

Three of Marie Conley's children have visited her at the hospital. The fourth, a lance corporal in the Marines, is returning from duty in Iraq.

http://wbztv.com/local/crossing.guard.hit.2.846640.html

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Driver blames crossing guard

Victim's family asks for prayers

Photo by Mark Garfinkel
EMOTIONAL DAY: Jennifer Russo, in photo at left, faces questions at a press conference as she stands next to a photo of her mother, Marie Conley, who was struck and critically injured while protecting a student.

After ruling out mechancial failure, Boston police say they will charge an 86-year-old Dorchester man with driving to endanger after a school crossing guard was critically injured Tuesday morning as she selflessly saved the life of a 10-year-old boy.
Standing in the crosswalk at Parish and Winter streets on Meeting House Hill, Marie Conley, 58, had one hand up signalling Anis Cazeau to stop his Nissan Maxima, while holding back the Mather Elementary School student with the other, Boston Police Deputy Superintendent Thomas Lee said.
"The car appeared to be going 20 to 25 miles per hour," Lee said. "There was no effort made to stop."
But Cazeau disputed that account, insisting to the Herald last night that Conley walked into him.
"I was driving about eight miles, seven miles per hour," he said.
"In front of me, I see a stop sign. I'm going to stop for the stop sign and I heard on the passenger side near the door, I hear bang!" he said, loudly slamming his hand on a table. "I feel bad for her. Forty-eight years of driving in Boston, I never hit anyone. I'm not going to drive anymore."
Cops say Cazeau gave them conflicting accounts of the accident: first, that he never saw Conley; then, that she stepped into his path.
A relative of Cazeau's, Bertha Cazeau, said he recently suffered a stroke and lost a son to cancer.
Conley, who has five grandchildren and has guarded the same intersection for eight years, remained hospitalized last night at Boston Medical Center while the youngest of her four children, Christopher Conley, 20, a Marine Corps lance corporal, was rushing home from Iraq to be at her side.
James Conley, 39, a paramedic from Oakland Park, Fla., said his kid brother was deployed only three weeks ago.
"We need everybody to say prayers for my mother," an emotional James Conley said at the hospital, with brother Michael and sister Jennifer Russo at his side. "It's day by day and that's how we're taking it."
Cazeau, a retired builder whose license was revoked Tuesday by the Registry of Motor Vehicles, has a checkered history behind the wheel dating back 23 years, including failing to yield to a pedestrian, as well as five serious crashes.
James Conley believes the laws governing elderly drivers need to be tightened. "Age is a big thing with driving," he said. "I see it in Florida, obviously."

(14) Comments | Post / Read Comments

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...sing_guard:_Victim_s_family_asks_for_prayers/

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Crossing Guard Struck By Car Dies Of Injuries

Marie Conley
WBZ

BOSTON (WBZ) ― A school crossing guard struck by a car in Dorchester last week has died, police said.

Marie Conley, 59, a mother of four from Dorchester, died of her injuries Wednesday at Boston Medical Center.

She was struck Oct. 21 as she was helping a 10-year-old boy cross Winter Street at a crosswalk. Witnesses said the car went through the crosswalk at about 20 mph and failed to slow down when Conley signaled for traffic to stop.

The Suffolk County District Attorney's Office said it will pursue motor vehicle homicide charges against the 86-year-old driver, Anis Cazeau. He was previously cited for negligent operation of a motor vehicle and failure to yield to a pedestrian. His license has been suspended.

Investigators tested the vehicle's brakes at the scene, and they appeared to be working properly.

Conley worked as a Boston Police traffic supervisor for eight years. Investigators say she was in full uniform with a reflective vest when she was hit.

http://wbztv.com/local/school.crossing.guard.2.851754.html

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crossing Guard Who Died Saving Boy Honored

Conley Hit Outside Boston Elementary School In 2008

A school crossing guard from Boston struck and killed while shielding a 10-year-old boy from a car is one of three people being honored with one of the nation's highest civilian awards.
Marie Conley died days after she was struck outside an elementary school in October 2008.
She's is being honored Friday with a Citizen Service Before Self award at the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. The award is given out by the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation.

Crossing Guard Who Died Saving Boy Honored - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

·
5,985 Posts
That is very tragic. After seeing them operate from a LE perspective, I firmly believe that the elderly should have more frequent drivers tests.
The elderly lobby is very strong. politicians are afraid to touch this subject because senior citizens are consistent voters. Organizations like the AARP fight tooth and nail to prevent driving tests for the elderly. They seem to be in denial about the subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts