·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One dead, one critical in shooting on Temple University campus

By MARYCLAIRE DALE
The Associated Press
2/1/03 9:19 PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- A former Temple University student shot his ex-girlfriend as she worked security inside a campus building Saturday morning before killing himself, police said.

Cori Miller, a 21-year-old Temple junior from Baltimore, was shot once in the right eye and once in the chest about 7:55 a.m., Philadelphia police said.

Miller, who talked to police after the shooting, remained in critical condition Saturday afternoon at Hahnemann University Hospital, according to a nursing supervisor.

The alleged shooter, Shawn Walker, 21, of Mantua, N.J., had been seen walking with Miller as she reported to work about 6:30 a.m. Nothing seemed amiss, a school security official said.

Miller took her post checking badges in the lobby of Vivacqua Hall, a classroom and administrative building on North Broad Street. Walker apparently went to a nearby doughnut shop, then returned and shot her, police said.

Miller spoke to a campus police officer about 15 minutes before the shooting, and appeared to be in a good mood, said Carl Bittenbender, Temple's executive director of public safety.

"There was no indication of anything. And then we got the call," Bittenbender said.

Walker was last enrolled at Temple about a year ago, he said.

"They've had an on-again, off-again relationship for several years, apparently rocky," Bittenbender said.

Police do not think anyone witnessed the shooting, which was reported by a man who came upon the scene as he left the building.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Good God!

I hope Ms. Miller recovers. Finally some buttcheese succeeds at suicide and leaves his victim alive. Doesn't happen often.

Just another page in the "Stay alert" chapter of Campus Law Enforcement. Even "security" officers
need vests and Ar-15 these days.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
AR-15's? Nah, security needs the fully auto glocks, with extended 30 rounds mags, Ar15's, a .308 sniper and a tank! Damn, that should be enough.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Originally posted by mikefo:
Whatever it takes is sufficient.

Mikefo
Ya know Mike is right. Even a .22 revolver in properly trained hands would be better than leaving these people out in a uniform to die.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Hey you know what, I know officers that work for unarmed departments and they cover their ass if you know what I mean. Ankles are on the heavy side :D

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
It is amazing what we campus cops go through. Massachusetts is really behind in their philosophy of campus police officers; Special State Police Officer powers mostly. Other states are more on tap!

·
Registered
665 Posts
The sad thing is that an officer gets shot and no one raises an eyebrow, but if some psycho started greasing the students, boy see how fast they would arm the personel who protect the campus!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some colleges in the worcester area, allow their police officers to carry firearms. I know that Assumption and Clark carry. But then again when ur in main south you need to have one.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hahaha! You are right about that, but Assumption is definitely not Main South... ;)

WPI Police carry, too. They are SSPO's, referred to as "Police Officers", and have several cruisers. Assumption goes by "Public Safety", I believe.

-Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
i know that assumption is not main south, i was referring more to clark, but i didn't know WPI carried. Do they take guys that went through MCJTC?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I believe so; you can be MCJTC and work an SSPO department, but you cannot be SSPO and work in a MCJTC department.

Which does not make any sense because... well, nevermind. We all know about that. :rolleyes:

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.