Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear what the law allows/doesn't allow in a situation where a neighbor finds a coyote roaming on his property?

As I was leaving last night, a neighbor came over to me and told me that he's been spotting a coyote in his back yard and he was wondering what to do or what he could do.

My response was "basically nothing"! That unless the coyote was threatening a member of his Family or a pet (he doesn't have any animals), he couldn't legally shoot the coyote.

So, ignoring any laws that may prohibit shooting in a town, etc. what are the legal answers to the following:

- Are coyotes protected animals? Or are they considered pests that can be trapped and killed legally?

- What do other towns do for these predator complaints? I know that our PD takes all the calls for wild animals, that our "animal control officer" ONLY handles dog calls (I found this out the hard way and have discussed it at length with two people who have held this part-time position). In my ~18 years as a Special/Reserve PO, luckily I never had to respond to a wild animal complaint. So I have no idea what the PD does with the kind of complaint I am asking about, although I suspect that they do nothing.

Although I know a lot about MA gun laws, I am not a hunter and generally have no concern or interest in disposing of wild animals. I have seen a bobcat, an owl, a couple of foxes, lots of deer, woodchucks, skunks, hawks, etc. in my back yard. If the opportunity avails itself, I usually shoot them with my camera when I spot them.

Oddly enough I was recently thinking that I don't see cats around any more and we used to get frequent visits from numerous cats (we have two bird feeders out back). In fact a neighbor has posted a sign, looking for his missing cat (missing for about 2 months). Now I think that it/they might have become coyote food!

So what can legally be done about coyotes wondering on our property?

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
I live in a very rural area and as far as I know, unless they are threatening your family or animals, ya can't do anything but take pictures.

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
coyotes are not protected as far as I know, there is a hunting season for them and they can be trapped.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Thats why I loves New Hampshire. "Live Free or Die..."
Pests like Coyotes, Skunks, and Weasels are considered varmints and are huntable statewide with no bag limit. Not that I find hunting coyotes all that enchanting, but I do keep my Ruger 22 LR in the shed when I take the furry version of Kozmo out for his nightly constitutional... It gives me peace of mind that I can legally defend the dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts