·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More on it later

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's ridiculous that Campbell said he was being mistreated and profiled (etc.), when he sat there and called the deputy all sorts of names (ie son, boy, bitch.) He said "we get called all sorts of names on this job," which is very true, but you would expect that a major would show enough respect not to follow in the footsteps of the criminals that are usually the ones throwing around these degrading remarks. Even if the stop was "bogus," as a fellow law enforcement officer he should know that aggressive behavior will be met by defensive tactics. Since when is the offender allowed to decide if he/she is at fault or not anyways. I thought that was why we're all entitled to appeal citations.

You know it's bad when even cops don't give respect when they're stopped. If we can't respect each other, how can we expect anyone else to show us respect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I missed the show, but I was wondering what Campbell's attitude on the encounter was NOW. I distinctly remember seeing him on one of Fox's endless "dash-cam" shows shortly after the event and he was apologetic and saying he should have controlled himself.

Fast forward a little and it was "I was profiled and this is how the police treat all minorities and blah, blah, blah." Is he still running with this line of BS? I recall the stop, while for a minor MVV, seemed valid enough to me.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still the same tune DWB (Driving While Black), the thing that screwed the deputy was the fact that two previous stops that he conducted that resulted in arrest where thrown out because the judge thought the law about the tag was outdated. The deputy was advised by the judges order that the county displayed on the bottom part of the plate (tag) was not crucial information. As for the lane change without a directional, I guess the jury just didn't believe him.

Campbell just lost his cool and at the least should have been disciplined by his dept. for his actions of conduct unbecoming.

We all go fishing but I save those type of violations for special occasions and is not something I look for every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think he was suspended for a week or something by his department for conduct unbecoming.

The deputy is a sgt. now so I guess he does a good job.

And, in my opinion, it doesn't matter if the judge thinks the law is outdated, if it's still on the books it should be considered a legal stop. There are a lot of laws that aren't used all the time but it doesn't mean they aren't laws anymore.

I think the reason the deputy looked for the tag violation all the time was because he was on the drug team and it allowed him to legally stop cars that the average "patrolman" wouldn't stop. The location (a known drug route), the late model vehicle, and all the other little things made him stop the car for the tag violation. He had experience looking for drug traffikers and the type of vehicles that are more likely to be used.

I think Cambell would have been on his way if he hadn't initiated the confrontation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.