Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1181 - 1188 of 1188 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Honest question: are Court Officers going to become "certified" police officers?
They are mentioned briefly in the police reform bill as being called "law enforcement officers" as well as probation officers and prosecutors. But only in regards to A and B on someone under the age of 14 or under in custody or having sex with someone in custody. But in regards to being covered completely in the the police reform as a "certified" police officer then the answer is no. I can't see that changing anytime soon being that court officers are under the Judicial branch which is entirely separate from the Executive branch where most law enforcement agencies fall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone hear anything about the next round of hiring? Are they waiting till after the exam that is supposedly happening in the spring? How has covid been on current court officers in house?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone hear anything about the next round of hiring? Are they waiting till after the exam that is supposedly happening in the spring? How has covid been on current court officers in house?
They are suppose to have a court Officer academy this month and have a posting for the ACO to backfill promotions. But as far as after that not one knows it depends when things get back to normal, and when jury cases resume which has a huge back log. There always yearly in service training that needs to be done and many officers have maxed out on vacation So one would assume there would be a need for more officers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I heard rumor recently of a mass hiring for court officers for a June academy. I'm doubtful on this but still hopefully. I'm assuming they won't post for the position externally until the map our the next exam. 🤔

·
Registered
196 Posts
I heard rumor recently of a mass hiring for court officers for a June academy. I'm doubtful on this but still hopefully. I'm assuming they won't post for the position externally until the map our the next exam. 🤔
I know they are bringing on a class of ACOs shortly. I have heard a yes and no about another academy in June. I guess they would invite back the candidates that failed the pt test before the orientation since that last class had 80 invited but got down to 31. So if another class happens I would imagine it would be a small group.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
New test was announced for those interested. Top step is 85k and our contract expired a year ago.

fyi

·
Registered
196 Posts
New test was announced for those interested. Top step is 85k and our contract expired a year ago.

fyi
I guess management and nage are looking to resume contract negotiations this year, but still could take a year to get funding even after it passed. But since they are having an exam the pat test for compensation should be happening for current CO/ACO. It is an easy 500 bucks if you pass. Supposedly if will be done in one of the hangars at Westover this time instead the state Police academy gym.

1181 - 1188 of 1188 Posts