Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1188 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
How do they classify CO1, C03, & CO3? I assume you start at CO1 but how do you make the jump to CO2. The contract online only states what you said about how to make the jump from CO2 to CO3.

The top end of the salaries certainly aren't bad for a Monday - Friday gig, but the salary steps suck for CO1. I'm curious how long you're stuck as a CO1? If I'm going to jump ship as a cop a little early, I certainly won't be doing it for that CO1 pay if I have to wait several years to make it up a grade to CO2.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks!
Unfortunately that's the downside of the job now. Might have to have a second job, which can be done with normal work schedule. At one time the salary was about 10k higher, we are now only attracting young people starting out in life. Because very few who have been in the corrections or police field for a few years can afford to to take a 10-20k pay cut.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do they classify CO1, C03, & CO3? I assume you start at CO1 but how do you make the jump to CO2. The contract online only states what you said about how to make the jump from CO2 to CO3.

The top end of the salaries certainly aren't bad for a Monday - Friday gig, but the salary steps suck for CO1. I'm curious how long you're stuck as a CO1? If I'm going to jump ship as a cop a little early, I certainly won't be doing it for that CO1 pay if I have to wait several years to make it up a grade to CO2.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks!
Also you do have to go through an 8 week "academy" out in Chicopee where the first 2 weeks are mandatory overnights which many people who take the test have no clue about. I'm sure you'll have no problem since your LEO now. The trial court tries so hard to act like state troopers during it, and I think it's too much for the job considering we don't carry and only recently got mace. Once you take the written test and pass they will call you in to take a PAT test which is easy. Then comes interview, background check, medical ect then another PT test 2/3 weeks before the academy that you have to pass in order to go on day one.
Just things to think about along with the crappy starting pay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was an ACO for 6 years. Broulette and Morrow have ran the trial court into the ground. The 8 week "academy" is an absolute joke but they can't justify that they were wrong and the trial court is going down the drain.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was an ACO for 6 years. Broulette and Morrow have ran the trial court into the ground. The 8 week "academy" is an absolute joke but they can't justify that they were wrong and the trial court is going down the drain.
Yeah we have a new eboard that was recently elected, they are starting to get fed up with what all that is going on right now. No one wants to admit that changes need to be made until our staffing levels are completely decimated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Someone that I talked to back home told me that the state is losing so much money that they may consider private security for the courthouses in get rid of everyone that works there because if they can charge private security a lot less than paying a court officer who makes $85,000 a year for doing nothing right now due to the Coronavirus. I don't see that happening but that's a far stretch

·
Registered
196 Posts
Someone that I talked to back home told me that the state is losing so much money that they may consider private security for the courthouses in get rid of everyone that works there because if they can charge private security a lot less than paying a court officer who makes $85,000 a year for doing nothing right now due to the Coronavirus. I don't see that happening but that's a far stretch
Me neither I think the higher ups would be opposed. We are opening up the 13th, but it will be limited but they have not determined what the job duties will be in regards to screening for COVID 19. They are looking at court leases again because those are costly, and generally low volume courts. But it will be awhile before they have an idea the budget will be for the upcoming fiscal year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anthing is possible at this point

·
Registered
226 Posts
Unfortunately that's the downside of the job now. Might have to have a second job, which can be done with normal work schedule. At one time the salary was about 10k higher, we are now only attracting young people starting out in life. Because very few who have been in the corrections or police field for a few years can afford to to take a 10-20k pay cut.
That's too bad, I mean I'm happy non veteran young guys get a chance to find some type of job pertaining to their CJ degree But you'd think they'd have some type of automatic group or step for guys coming in with LE experience. It's no wonder you're saying you don't get anyone except young guys, that along with no means to protect myself or others during an active shooter and not being in group 4 (I believe) that's an almost impossible move to make just for a better schedule... dammit I knew I should married my X who was a doctor!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also you do have to go through an 8 week "academy" out in Chicopee where the first 2 weeks are mandatory overnights which many people who take the test have no clue about. I'm sure you'll have no problem since your LEO now. The trial court tries so hard to act like state troopers during it, and I think it's too much for the job considering we don't carry and only recently got mace. Once you take the written test and pass they will call you in to take a PAT test which is easy. Then comes interview, background check, medical ect then another PT test 2/3 weeks before the academy that you have to pass in order to go on day one.
Just things to think about along with the crappy starting pay.
they make you go to that "academy " in goddam New Braintree even if you have a MPTC academy, well and a SSPO too, maybe I can go for the academy TriFectorrr! Welcome to Massachusetts....

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's too bad, I mean I'm happy non veteran young guys get a chance to find some type of job pertaining to their CJ degree But you'd think they'd have some type of automatic group or step for guys coming in with LE experience. It's no wonder you're saying you don't get anyone except young guys, that along with no means to protect myself or others during an active shooter and not being in group 4 (I believe) that's an almost impossible move to make just for a better schedule... dammit I knew I should married my X who was a doctor!
It's too bad, we really need experienced law enforcement officers with a few years under their belts that know how to talk to people and resolve conflict. That really what 90 percent of what the job is. Not to say a some one starting off can't do a good job, but police officers and other law enforcement professionals bring a lot of those already acquired skills to the job.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does anyone have any updated information about the next academy?
I think that has been put on hold at least for this year, I heard they were mulling over background checks. But there is hesitation to bring on an academy class when the budget is still up in the air, as well as a possible resurgence if COVID 19 this fall. The legislature has temporarily funded agencies until October, but if relief funding doesn't come from Washington there could be all kinds of large mid years cuts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does not sound like a good situation for the trial court. I guess it’s just going to be a long waiting game.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It does not sound like a good situation for the trial court. I guess it's just going to be a long waiting game.
They have switched to virtual hearings, but still a huge backlog of cases once this settles and courts open up fully you will need officers to handle the backload of cases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If a 5 for 5 comes out, the trial court will be screwed, they will lose so many officers. Understanding that there are other academies going on (BPD, MBTA ect) if the trial court was smart they would do a small one with maybe just ACOs. You can afford to pull them out of the courts now given the situation and they can come back as white shirts when everything starts to pick up again. They won’t do that though, since they are trying to be like the state police so bad. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My buddy got an email that the exam that was scheduled for October has been pushed out to “late spring 2021” due to the corona virus.

yikes

·
Registered
196 Posts
My buddy got an email that the exam that was scheduled for October has been pushed out to "late spring 2021" due to the corona virus.

yikes
Saw that coming, with COVID 19 cases projected to increase by then who is going to want to come to the heart of Boston and take an exam in close contact with hundreds of other candidates. Of course you can only get your money back, if they cancel the exam.

1141 - 1160 of 1188 Posts