Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies ) | Page 47 | MassCops

Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies )

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Foxy85, Aug 23, 2013.

1. SRC

SRC MassCops Member

Does anyone have any updated information about the next academy?

2. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

I think that has been put on hold at least for this year, I heard they were mulling over background checks. But there is hesitation to bring on an academy class when the budget is still up in the air, as well as a possible resurgence if COVID 19 this fall. The legislature has temporarily funded agencies until October, but if relief funding doesn’t come from Washington there could be all kinds of large mid years cuts.

3. SRC

SRC MassCops Member

It does not sound like a good situation for the trial court. I guess it’s just going to be a long waiting game.

4. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

They have switched to virtual hearings, but still a huge backlog of cases once this settles and courts open up fully you will need officers to handle the backload of cases.

5. kg14

kg14 MassCops Member

If a 5 for 5 comes out, the trial court will be screwed, they will lose so many officers. Understanding that there are other academies going on (BPD, MBTA ect) if the trial court was smart they would do a small one with maybe just ACOs. You can afford to pull them out of the courts now given the situation and they can come back as white shirts when everything starts to pick up again. They won’t do that though, since they are trying to be like the state police so bad. :rolleyes:

EUPD377 likes this.
  6. gobruins

gobruins MassCops Member

Your right about that, too many people need to justify their jobs to do anything like that

kg14 likes this.
  7. kg14

kg14 MassCops Member

My buddy got an email that the exam that was scheduled for October has been pushed out to “late spring 2021” due to the corona virus.

yikes

8. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Saw that coming, with COVID 19 cases projected to increase by then who is going to want to come to the heart of Boston and take an exam in close contact with hundreds of other candidates. Of course you can only get your money back, if they cancel the exam.

9. adamo413

adamo413 MassCops Member

This surprisingly works out great. Will give me a little bit more time to finish my degree and maybe I'll have a shot at the job....third times a charm right ? Or is it a matter of making a donation ?

10. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

LOL, those days have longed since passed. That what the current administration was brought into do, reform the hiring procedure. The change was good in that way, but in others ways not so much.

11. Courthouse hack

Courthouse hack New Member

Academy ??? Not gonna happen . Budget is in the toilet. The last budget crisis (2008) wasn't even half as bad as this and we had a four year hire freeze.

12. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

They keep postponing the upcoming court Officer exam, they ought to call it day just refund everyone’s money. Doesn’t make much sense to have an exam until a vaccine is in place and they can hire a good amount of officers. I remember the last recession we came very close to layoffs or doing furloughs, luckily it was only judges and management that agreed. The Covid 19 relief bill never passed in the senate, so there goes the money that Gov Baker was hoping for fy 2021 which has yet to be passed. We figured out since they had to cancel the academy last spring we can absorb a reduction of a few million since those positions were put in last years budget. I just hope if a 3 year buy out does come it will be enough to avoid layoffs and involuntary furloughs.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  13. MF Luder

MF Luder MassCops Member

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like taking the exam would be pointless? I understand that no one knows where things will be come spring of 2021 but if it remains the same, will the courts even consider hiring more officers?

14. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

“Refund the money”...MA...Bwahahahahahaha!

Hush likes this.
  15. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

If the Trial Court Administrator announces a hiring freeze due to budget constraints that’s it. They can have the exam in the spring so they have a pool of applicants ready. However unlike other exams in the past there probably won’t be a court officer job announcement posted after everyone gets there results if a hiring freeze is in place. They also have to consider the court officer candidates first who were suppose to go this past spring.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  16. Padrino617

Padrino617 MassCops Member

what I find mind-blowing is that the trial court has a new deputy director we all know who that is I think it's an absolute joke that they are giving someone like that more money but yet you have people that work the front lines going to worry about if they're going to have a job or not because this whole pandemic.

JR90 likes this.
  17. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

I guess the budget is not as bad as it was initially and we should be able to squeak by with no layoffs or furloughs this year, next year a different story if things don’t turn around and the funding from Washington doesn’t come. They are even trying to have a small internal CO academy of ACOs. But you wonder down the road with many hearings going virtual and more staffing available at front doors, whether they would look at not hiring ACOs or downsizing. That was brought up a few years back by this administration.

18. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Whose the new deputy director? Heather? Where’s Tommy Boy? What poor chair is barley holding up his 400 pounds of fun these days?

kg14 likes this.
  19. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

They now have two deputy directors now, she is in charge of administration budget, hiring, investigations, and training. Tom Connolly does field services now oversees RDs, IDs and security systems, as well as liaison for security policy in the trial court.

20. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Scary that Tom is still in charge of anything. Good luck!

21. Padrino617

Padrino617 MassCops Member

No what actually scary is that Heather brouillette got a promotion after running an academy for years with a 50% retention rate that's the scary part

22. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Both are concerning but Tom’s inability to lead, lack of knowledge in ANYTHING public safety/LE and almost non existent CO experience are all huge red flags. That man is eating proof that anyone can literally fuck or pay their way into whatever position they want.

Goose and JR90 like this.
  23. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Hi
    They are getting her ready to take over in a few years, because Connolly and Morrow will both probably be retiring around the same time. But could see some changes again, since the trial court administrator is resigning end of this year, and a new Chief Justice needs to be appointed in the Supreme Court.

24. kg14

kg14 MassCops Member

A class of ACOs are supposed to start today. 20 or so were are orientation/cooper, I heard 12 are going to be in this class. That should cover us for a few years right?! :rolleyes:

JR90 likes this.
  25. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member