Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies ) | Page 46 | MassCops

Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies )

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Foxy85, Aug 23, 2013.

1. existingaccount

existingaccount MassCops Member

This one would've been 011

2. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

eh completely forgot, but MTC class 001 was Decemeber 2014. 002 was Jan 20th. 2015. 003 I think Was May of 2015

3. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

003 was March 2015. That was the class of mostly ACOs. 004 was May of 2015 that got created when the first 3 had top many drop outs and failures, about 15 were ACOs in that class. All four were originally 6 weeks, and you had two stay the first 2 weeks only. Now with the 8 week academy they make it extremely difficult for you to commute after the first 2 weeks even if you live close by, as you still need to keep your rack in order and be ready for 7am.

4. kg14

kg14 MassCops Member

008 was May 2018 (not sure of the number of graduates)
    009 was March 2019 * at Chicopee (maybe 20 or so graduated)
    010 was November? 2019 * at Chicopee (I think 15 graduated that one)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  5. Padrino617

Padrino617 MassCops Member

Good luck if Heather brouillette becomes the new director security she had already driven the trial court down Collective hole that it's going to be hard to come out of and you put her at the helm maybe a lot of early retirement I'm surprised that more people have not contested this ridiculous Academy structure.

6. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

They recently created a second deputy director position she is in the running for which doesn't make sense since the union has said furloughs and lay off could be possible next year fiscal year. The director has said he will be retiring in another few years. They are offering a retirement incentive this year, and a hiring freeze about to be put in place. After staffing levels get decimated and if hiring resumes, spending close to a million for an academy that loses 40 percent and doesn't graduates enough officers is going to be hard to justify funding to the hire ups and legislature.

7. Padrino617

I heard McDaniel is some type of director also. Is that true?

8. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

That I haven’t heard yet he might be in line to be training director after Heather is promoted.

9. Padrino617

I also saw that they may be furloughs and layoffs hope it doesn't get to that point but I don't understand why they're hiring more management positions when the trial court budget is crippled right now

10. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Yeah hopefully a hiring freeze and a voluntary retirement incentive will be enough to avoid other options. Last fiscal crisis judges and management only did furloughs and we were able to get through. This is a different kind of recession and hard to say when the economy will recover again.

11. HoneyBadger1

HoneyBadger1 MassCops Member

Man, I wish I was few years closer to retirement.. this would be an excellent job to ride out my remaining years and away from the bullshit we call doing police work lately.. haha I have a pal who got on several tests ago and I was blown away by their new contract, its some pretty damn good money! Now they just have to arm these poor fuckers!!

12. Padrino617

I was an ACO that left in 2019 it was the best decision I made career wise and lifestyle wise the amount of politics that's going on there I was never gonna succeed there. I hope for the sake of others Broulette doesn't become the new director because she's have done nothing but bury the trial court and promoted people that have no right being management.

wrangler and kg14 like this.
  13. HoneyBadger1

How do they classify CO1, C03, & CO3? I assume you start at CO1 but how do you make the jump to CO2. The contract online only states what you said about how to make the jump from CO2 to CO3.

The top end of the salaries certainly aren’t bad for a Monday - Friday gig, but the salary steps suck for CO1. I’m curious how long you’re stuck as a CO1? If I’m going to jump ship as a cop a little early, I certainly won’t be doing it for that CO1 pay if I have to wait several years to make it up a grade to CO2.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

14. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

You hit CO 2 on your 3rd year

15. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Unfortunately that’s the downside of the job now. Might have to have a second job, which can be done with normal work schedule. At one time the salary was about 10k higher, we are now only attracting young people starting out in life. Because very few who have been in the corrections or police field for a few years can afford to to take a 10-20k pay cut.

HoneyBadger1 likes this.
  16. kg14

kg14 MassCops Member

Also you do have to go through an 8 week “academy” out in Chicopee where the first 2 weeks are mandatory overnights which many people who take the test have no clue about. I’m sure you'll have no problem since your LEO now. The trial court tries so hard to act like state troopers during it, and I think it’s too much for the job considering we don’t carry and only recently got mace. Once you take the written test and pass they will call you in to take a PAT test which is easy. Then comes interview, background check, medical ect then another PT test 2/3 weeks before the academy that you have to pass in order to go on day one.
    Just things to think about along with the crappy starting pay.

HoneyBadger1 likes this.
  17. Padrino617

I was an ACO for 6 years. Broulette and Morrow have ran the trial court into the ground. The 8 week "academy" is an absolute joke but they can't justify that they were wrong and the trial court is going down the drain.

18. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Yeah we have a new eboard that was recently elected, they are starting to get fed up with what all that is going on right now. No one wants to admit that changes need to be made until our staffing levels are completely decimated.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  19. Padrino617

Someone that I talked to back home told me that the state is losing so much money that they may consider private security for the courthouses in get rid of everyone that works there because if they can charge private security a lot less than paying a court officer who makes $85,000 a year for doing nothing right now due to the Coronavirus. I don't see that happening but that's a far stretch

20. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Me neither I think the higher ups would be opposed. We are opening up the 13th, but it will be limited but they have not determined what the job duties will be in regards to screening for COVID 19. They are looking at court leases again because those are costly, and generally low volume courts. But it will be awhile before they have an idea the budget will be for the upcoming fiscal year.

HoneyBadger1 likes this.
  21. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

Anthing is possible at this point

22. HoneyBadger1

That’s too bad, I mean I’m happy non veteran young guys get a chance to find some type of job pertaining to their CJ degree But you’d think they’d have some type of automatic group or step for guys coming in with LE experience. It’s no wonder you’re saying you don’t get anyone except young guys, that along with no means to protect myself or others during an active shooter and not being in group 4 (I believe) that’s an almost impossible move to make just for a better schedule... dammit I knew I should married my X who was a doctor!

fjd1075 and JR90 like this.
  23. HoneyBadger1

they make you go to that “academy “ in goddam New Braintree even if you have a MPTC academy, well and a SSPO too, maybe I can go for the academy TriFectorrr! Welcome to Massachusetts....

fjd1075 and JR90 like this.
  24. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

It’s too bad, we really need experienced law enforcement officers with a few years under their belts that know how to talk to people and resolve conflict. That really what 90 percent of what the job is. Not to say a some one starting off can’t do a good job, but police officers and other law enforcement professionals bring a lot of those already acquired skills to the job.

existingaccount likes this.
  25. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Yeah a bit over kill if you have been through several academies.