Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story almost made me throw up.
And whats even more sickening is this mother f'ing punk will get 2 years in jail, 10 years without a license and that is that... After he takes the most cherished possession a family has; their child.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boston Herald
By Jennifer Rosinski
Friday, October 8, 2004

A toddler is dead and a woman clings to life after an alleged drunk driver slammed his SUV into their stalled car in the breakdown lane of Interstate 495 in Andover yesterday, authorities said.

The 4-year-old Merrimac boy was thrown from the car, police said. He was taken to Lawrence General Hospital, but did not survive, said Steve O'Connell, spokesman for Essex District Attorney Kevin M. Burke.

The unidentified woman, also from Merrimac, was flown to Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Police were not releasing the victims' names until all family members were notified. Police were unsure if the woman was the boy's mother.

An allegedly sloshed Derek Coughlin, 34, was behind the wheel of the 2004 Honda Pilot about 6 p.m. when it veered from the highway just south of the Interstate 93 interchange and struck the Buick LaSabre on the northbound shoulder.

A second car stopped in front of the Buick also was struck, but none of the occupants were injured.

Coughlin, of Burlington, walked away from the accident unscathed.

He has been charged with drunk driving, motor vehicle homicide and negligent operation. He was held on $50,000 cash bail pending his arraignment today in Lawrence District Court.

Coughlin has no prior drunk driving convictions, authorities said.

A state police accident reconstruction team was on hand to further investigate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Cops: Drunk SUV Driver Kills Tot - Leaves Mother Critica

You're absolutely right, Kozmo, that is sickening & more than likely he will receive minimal punishment. I'd be willing to bet that he'll be able to get a hardship license allowing him to drive to/from work.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Has anyone heard the pathetic "reason" that caused this guy to be drunk at 6PM on a weeknight??? Just curious....

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

Yes, it is sick. That's why we need to be tough on OUI. There should be no breaks with OUI... even for PO's :shock: ...

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, it is sick. That's why we need to be tough on OUI. There should be no breaks with OUI... even for PO's :shock: ...
RPD in my opinion, that may be the most candid and indisputably accurate statement ever made on this board... :thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts

I agree with RPD & Kozmo. I have seen on several occasions the effects of drunk driving (as have most on this board). I don't care who you are citizen, cop, or state rep. If you're drunk & behind the wheel, you're getting locked up.

G

·

I agree. But, why was this four year not buckled in? Truly sickening.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

Well, if the kid wasn't secured as prescribed according to law: manslaughter charges for the adult responsible, as well as the drunk! Sorry, 'alleged drunk'. As for the assertion of 'lock-up-for-everyone', okay. But don't bitch when it's your turn. ETOH abuse is endemic to our line of work...more so than with the lemmings. In addition to forbidding tobacco use to cops, maybe the statute should have included the consumption of alcohol beverages as well! :shock:

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

...In addition to forbidding tobacco use to cops, maybe the statute should have included the consumption of alcohol beverages as well! :shock:
DCS - your usually one of the guys I identify with most, but not on this one. All the law-abiding, conscientious, tax-paying public asks for from its guardians is "responsible" ETOH consumption. I put it away as good as anyone out there, but I simply don't drive afterwards...Not because I'm afraid of the blue light behind me, but because I wouldn't jeapordize another person or family due to my irresponsible behavior.

But I don't want to see this get turned into another "Remember Rule #1 of Fight Club" bullshit thread, or "which cops pinch other cops". I just wanted to point out a story I felt deeply about this morning. Probably since I have a 2 and 3 yo at home, it just seemed to hit me in the gut... Have a great weekend. KK

BTW - your 100% right on about the safety fastening. That is INEXCUSABLE, no question.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

Sorry, Koz...strictly 'toungue-in-cheek' about the alcohol ban! :wink: That would end the coalition picnic! :D

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts

Jesus i can't stand to hear stuff like this, especially since I became a father. Everyone always says don't drink and drive u could get a OUI, I always say don't drink and drive because u might kill someones father, mother, daughter, son etc etc. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, I don't care who they are I am all for taking care of my own but that starts with the safety of my family... its not about the legal consequences its about my family and their safety. I will freeze to death sleeping in my car before I drive srunk or put myself in the situation where I might have to drive drunk.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I agree. But, why was this four year not buckled in? Truly sickening.
If you were four years old and in a car that is stalled on the side of the road, would you still have your seat belt on? The kid was probably ansy and climbing over the whole car waiting to see the blinking lights of a damn wrecker coming for the tow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.