MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Danielle Ameden/Daily News staff
The MetroWest Daily News
Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 12:21 AM
Last update Sep 15, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

WESTBOROUGH -
An armored truck driver was arrested Saturday after police say he pointed a nickel-plated revolver at another driver.
Ronald F. Zito, 31, of Cranston, R.I., is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Westborough District Court on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon. Police said he posted $300 bail after his arrest.
"It was kind of a road-rage type situation," said Sgt. Steven Reale.
The alleged victim called police Saturday at 12:38 p.m., reporting he had sped through a red light on East Main Street after Zito pulled beside him and held up a gun. Zito had been following extremely closely and appeared agitated when the other driver stopped for traffic, police said.
Then, in the area of Bay State Commons, Zito pointed the gun directly at the man, which Reale said prompted the call to police.
The alleged victim had his 4-year-old son in his backseat, police said.
Zito parked the Dunbar Armored Car he'd been driving in front of Roche Bros. in the Bay State Commons shopping plaza.
Patrolman Jeffrey Johnson stopped Zito as he left the plaza.
As an armored car driver, Zito's possession of the handgun was lawful. The assault charge, police said, is because Zito used the gun to scare the other driver.
"Threatening someone with it is actually assault, putting someone in fear," Reale said.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/n...mored-truck-driver-brandished-gun-at-motorist

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
I've seen some of these armored car guys clear leather before jumping out of the truck and hold their F/A at their sides during the delivery process. I'd say that it would constitute an assault if somebody were to complain. I just took it as "whackerism" at it's highest point but then again, some people where I work sometimes have killed for a bag of nickles.
Nice job...way to lose your career..
Not really a "career" so to speak, but a fill-in job 'till something better comes along. Not too many armored car guys retire from these places with a gold pocket watch.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen some of these armored car guys clear leather before jumping out of the truck and hold their F/A at their sides during the delivery process. I'd say that it would constitute an assault if somebody were to complain. I just took it as "whackerism" at it's highest point but then again, some people where I work sometimes have killed for a bag of nickles.
Not really a "career" so to speak, but a fill-in job 'till something better comes along. Not too many armored car guys retire from these places with a gold pocket watch.
That is standard SOP for some of the company's depending on the
value of the package.

G

·
Many armored transport companies have that in their regulations; a study was done (admittedly many years ago) which showed armored car guards who had their weapons in their hands were much less likely to be robbed than those who didn't (makes sense if you think about it).

I remember the days when two guards would go into the bank; one with the money and the other with a 12-gauge shotgun. Even the Charlestown boys didn't take that kind of chance too often. :cool:

·
2,070 Posts
That is standard SOP for some of the company's depending on the
value of the package.
When soccer mom with kids in tow at the strip mall encounter the big bad uniformed guard holding his pistol by his side and calls 911, who loses? The guard getting locked up & losing his LTC for following company procedure or the cop forced into making the pinch because somebody complained and was put in fear of their life?
It doesn't make sense to me to carry the F/A by their side when you can unholster & level it in .05 seconds anyway.

G

·
When soccer mom with kids in tow at the strip mall encounter the big bad uniformed guard holding his pistol by his side and calls 911, who loses? The guard getting locked up & losing his LTC for following company procedure or the cop forced into making the pinch because somebody complained and was put in fear of their life?
I've been to a call like that....I told soccer mom to mind her own business; unless a firearm is pointed at someone, it doesn't constitute an assault. I can walk down the street with a baseball bat, but unless I threaten someone with it, it's not illegal.

It doesn't make sense to me to carry the F/A by their side when you can unholster & level it in .05 seconds anyway.
So you never take your weapon out when doing a vertical? You can have it out in .05 seconds, right? :p

·
2,070 Posts
I've been to a call like that....I told soccer mom to mind her own business; unless a firearm is pointed at someone, it doesn't constitute an assault. I can walk down the street with a baseball bat, but unless I threaten someone with it, it's not illegal.
I remember MA case law where a guy flashed ammo in a clip that was in a shoulder holster rig at a bar to another patron during a confrontation. The courts ruled that even flashing the ammo constitued an assualt because where there is ammo, there is a likeliehood (sp?) of a F/A as well. While I agree that an armored car guy is just doing his job (even if it's a bit overdramatic) some moonbat will eventually complain loud enough that the cop who doesn't take action will be screwed.

So you never take your weapon out when doing a vertical? You can have it out in .05 seconds, right? :p
I haven't had to clear in over 8 years. I've learned not to bite off more than I can chew...... the hard way. My reflexes are getting rusty, I am up to .06 seconds now! Our R&R state that if you take it out, you write a use of force report, even if it's just held down at your side.

·
Subscribing Member
3,498 Posts
The vast majority of armored car guards out my way have their firearm at their sides when delivering or picking up their packages. There have been a bunch of them killed over the years nationwide, including out here. The suspect sneaks up behind them and just shoots them without warning. It's happened quite a few times over the years. (Bank guards too.) The infamous North Hollywood bank robbers had killed two armored car guards prior to the Bank of America robbery.

They should always have partners making pick ups and deliveries but I'm guessing that cost cutting measures have done away with that.

It's not ADW ( a felony) out here unless they actually point their weapon at someone, other than a suspect. If they just "flash" it at someone, it's called brandishing, which is a misdemeanor.

Since they did charge the guard in this story with ADW, I can't believe his bail was only $300. His bail out my way would have been about 60,000. I'm still amazed at the difference.

G

·
I remember MA case law where a guy flashed ammo in a clip that was in a shoulder holster rig at a bar to another patron during a confrontation. The courts ruled that even flashing the ammo constitued an assualt because where there is ammo, there is a likeliehood (sp?) of a F/A as well. While I agree that an armored car guy is just doing his job (even if it's a bit overdramatic) some moonbat will eventually complain loud enough that the cop who doesn't take action will be screwed.
Discretion, my friend. If soccer mom/moonbat wants to file a criminal complaint, I'll be glad to give them directions to the courthouse. That takes the wind out of the sails of about 99.9999% of indignant "victims"....."What? I have to actually do something? Forget it".

I haven't had to clear in over 8 years. I've learned not to bite off more than I can chew...... the hard way. My reflexes are getting rusty, I am up to .06 seconds now! Our R&R state that if you take it out, you write a use of force report, even if it's just held down at your side.
Geesh, things have changed dramatically since I was there. :pinch:

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You hit the nail right on the head Mike,at one time all Brinks crews
were three men to a truck,one driver,one to handle the money,and one acted as a guard with weapon out and at thier side.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My brother works for an armored car company and some of the restrictions they put on those guys are insane. It is definately in the jobs I don't want to do list, pretty dangerous job with crap for pay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts