Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Boston police officer was suspended for driving the getaway car after his cousin allegedly gunned down a reputed gang leader outside a Randolph nightclub, sources said.

Baltazar Darosa, 26, a two-year veteran assigned to District C-11 in Dorchester, was placed on administrative duty Monday ``pending the outcome of an Internal Affairs investigation,'' said Boston police spokesman Lt. Kevin Foley.

Darosa's cousin, Carlos Depina, 25, remains at large four days after he allegedly opened fire outside Copa Grande Oasis as revelers left the club early Sunday.

His target, Jose (Joseph) Lopes, 23, was shot in the chest and died a short time later.

It was unclear what Darosa's role in the slaying was; witnesses saw him behind the wheel of the car with Depina next to him after the shooting, several law enforcement sources said.

Boston police brass referred questions about Darosa's alleged actions to Norfolk District Attorney William Keating yesterday. Keating's spokesman, David Traub, declined to comment on the accusation against the Boston police officer.

``There is an arrest warrant out for a single individual, Carlos Depina, and we continue to actively seek his apprehension,'' Traub said. ``The investigation into this killing continues. We urge anyone with information on Depina's whereabouts to contact police, for his safety and for the public's safety.''

The accusation against Depina stunned his hard-working Cape Verdean family and fellow community activists in Dorchester, who said the 25-year-old had steadfastly fought against the violence that claimed the life of his older brother.

Nathaniel Depina, 24, was shot in the head by masked gunmen who ambushed his car as he and his girlfriend, Nikki Amado, left a family barbecue June 7, 2003.

After the slaying, Amado, now 26, turned to her boyfriend's family to help overcome the horror of watching him die as she sat less than a foot away from him. Amado got the the most comfort from ``Nate's little brother, Carlos,'' she said yesterday.

``He was dealing with it. He never talked about revenge. I just had a talk with him right before this happened, about how he regrets some of the things he did when he was younger, because now he can't get a job,'' she said. ``I can't believe a few days later he would go and shoot someone.''

Darosa, who was often proudly introduced by his cousins as a Boston police officer, was also a familiar face at family parties, Amado said. Because the incident occurred off-duty, Darosa is not represented by a Patrolmen's Benevolent Association attorney and he could not be reached for comment.

``He is very quiet, very polite,'' she said. ``It's terrible now that he's in trouble too because of this.''

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
what the hell? jesus and i can't even get an interview. hope all turns out well for him none the less.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
EOD1";p="55492 said:
what the hell? jesus and i can't even get an interview. hope all turns out well for him none the less.
All turns out well? This guy knowingly drove the getaway car for a brazen murderer! Those that are lucky enough to take the oath and be a sworn PO should at least exhibit some morals and recognize when a situation is not good. I don't even think he can claim he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All indications are that this was a well planned out hit. He had to have known what was going on. I just hope that the Boston PO in question doesn't try and do the same thing as the LAPD CRASH dirtbag did years ago and make up phony stories about fellow officer's misconduct, in an effort to try and save his own ass.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
ya, i know i am just trying to b open minded, trying not to be judgemental. just trying not to condemn a man w/o out all the facts. thats what they have the court sytem for not reporters. and by all turns out well i mean for all involved- no more blood shed and this guy being brought in w/o out incidence.i hope he doesn't create the same incident as the LAPD CRASH dirtbag- "all turns out well" make more sense now?, sorry if i conveyed myself that way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If it's true, he deserves everything he gets. Lets' wait until all the facts are out before judging him. {Maybe the kid called him for a ride after he committed the crime, who knows?}"

I will say though, look at all the statistics of the larger departments over the years regarding those officers committing crimes involving violence, robbery, rape, drugs etc.

You will discover a good majority of those crimes were committed by officers that did not top the list. In other words, they scored below many other qualified individuals but were picked because of certain reasons.

That's the quality of cop you're going to get when you lower the standards.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Clouseau";p="55521 said:
You will discover a good majority of those crimes were committed by officers that did not top the list. In other words, they scored below many other qualified individuals but were picked because of certain reasons.

Well said I don't think I could have said it better my self.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Clouseau";p="55521 said:
If it's true, he deserves everything he gets. Lets' wait until all the facts are out before judging him. {Maybe the kid called him for a ride after he committed the crime, who knows?}"

I will say though, look at all the statistics of the larger departments over the years regarding those officers committing crimes involving violence, robbery, rape, drugs etc.

Well, he must be a really good driver if he got a call from his cousin after he fired 9 shots at the guy because he was sitting in the car right outside the club for a nice, fast and convenient getaway. That isn't just a coincidence, he was there and this was a planned hit all along. Hey, maybe I am jumping the gun but from all indications, this doesn't look good at all.

By the way, I wonder what his score was on the Civil Circus test?????

·
Registered
253 Posts
i hope he doesn't create the same incident as the LAPD CRASH dirtbag- "all turns out well"

he wont because he never actually shot anyone.......that we know of.

Rampart crash ofcrs in the late 90's were setting up gang members and killing them...not that it is a bad thing but fabricating a shooting call just to stel the bad guys dope and money is pretty low for a police officer.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I don't understand why the shooter hasn't been caught: if the police officer is a "victim-of-circumstance" and not a willing accomplice, he could just tell the cops where his "cousin" is.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
dcs2244";p="55766 said:
I don't understand why the shooter hasn't been caught: if the police officer is a "victim-of-circumstance" and not a willing accomplice, he could just tell the cops where his "cousin" is.
Maybe, but maybe not. He might not know where his cuz is. Plus, he's been suspended and has most likely retained an attorney. With IA scurrying around looking for cheese I'd take my lawyers advice and keep my mouth shut too.

If he's guilty, well, he earned whatever he gets. But remember, this is a newspaper account... and we know how accurate reporters are especially when it comes to cops.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Clouseau wrote:

So if I am a sqaured away person, maybe a working cop, vet and all but just a bad test taker and dont go to the top I am substandard, don't be so ignorant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.