Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the reserve intermittent academy, and want to get into the field. Im going for my BA in CJ but am only 19. I have made a list of non civil service towns to apply to but have had no luck so far. Should i try with the corrections considering there would be a good possiabilty I wouldnt be hired as a officer because of my age. And is it true I would be able to carry under the badge? Any advice would be great, if you were in the situation before you where hired what you did, or what would you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track for someone still in college. The int./reserve academy was a good step for you, so now use that to try and get some summer/seasonal work experience if you can. The cape towns post summer positions yearly in late winter, and will generally hire someone in your situation (not a convicted felon right? they hate that.) It can be tough for anybody to get a fulltime municipal position in MA without any work experience (yes even non- civil service towns) I was in your spot not to long ago, so feel free to PM me.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
If this was (I think) pre-2004, you could be hired as a police officer and carry under the badge. Mitt Romney changed that. Now you are required to be 21 to be an armed police officer. His logic-if you aren't old enough to obtain a LTC-A, you shouldn't be carrying under the badge because of maturity issues.

I disagree with this. He painted everyone under-21 with a broad brush. I'm sure there are guys under-21 out there that are mature enough to do the job. As far as I'm concerned, you can't replace experience. If someone wasn't mature enough, I have enough faith in the system that they would be weeded out.

Being under-21, use your R/I Academy to get a job as an unarmed summer/seasonal officer to get some experience, as Brom suggested. See if any area colleges have internship or cadet programs for CJ majors. Other than that, all I can say is to patiently wait until 21 before you can start pursuing armed positions in both the police and corrections fields.

G

·
As mentioned, you have to be 21 to be hired as an armed police officer in Massachusetts; you can be hired as a corrections officer at 19, but one of the job requirements is being able to obtain a LTC, so you're out of luck there also.

If you're looking for experience, there are some unarmed auxiliary police units, but I don't recommend going out in public in a police uniform without a gun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delta so would the jail be out of the question for me as well, or is the requirement to obtain an LTC just give you more of an advantage. Resq thats what I thought about the carrying under the badge too. Do you know why it got changed, was there an incident or just got noticed and changed? I like to think of myself as mature. When I was going through the academy I stopped being stupid with my friends, and thought before I acted. When the football team went out I was always DD or I just passed it up, calmed down alot. Brom, no I am not a convicted felon yet, but if I have to wait to get into the field, I might. What did you guys do, did you jump right into it, or did you start off later in life. Should I just start throwing Apps and resumes to all the Non Civil Dept around looking for a dispatch job, and to the jails for a guard job, or should I do it a different way. As for the Auxillary/Seasonal jobs, what do they give you a uniform and badge with no gun? When stuff hits the fan what do you do OC them and hope a off duty cop is around with a gun on him. Doesnt really make sense to me. Any adivce helps. Thanks appreciate it guys.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Resq thats what I thought about the carrying under the badge too. Do you know why it got changed, was there an incident or just got noticed and changed?
I don't have a clue what got the ball rolling on it. As far as I can remember, the minimum age was always 19. Then suddenly someone says the minimum age to even take an exam should be raised to 21 because they are not old enough to obtain an LTC and therefore people under 21 were not mature enough to be carrying a handgun under the badge or otherwise. It was no secret that the minimum age before was 19, so I don't think it was a matter of it just being noticed and they changed it. The bottom line is Romney approved it and this is where it stands today.

When you have some time read through this thread. It starts in 2002, before the bill was passed, but on page 9 it gets into the bill from 2004.

http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60

G

·
Delta so would the jail be out of the question for me as well, or is the requirement to obtain an LTC just give you more of an advantage.
The law hasn't changed in that the minimum age to be hired as a state CO is 19, but one of the requirements of being hired is that you can obtain a Class A LTC. Since you can't do that until you're 21, you don't meet the minimum entrance standards and therefore won't be hired.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Focus on dispatch jobs then for now, and wait for the aux/seas jobs then? Not much else I can do right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
John,

I just graduated from college this May, and I got a job in Maine as a seasonal reserve. The experience has been invaluable and is already helping me obtain full-time work in NH. (Knock on wood at this point, still.) Most departments in Maine will require a certain amount of college credits if you are under 21 YOA but if you are going into your sophomore year, then you will probably be all set by next year.

Most of the reserves I work with are Mass residents and either commute (like myself) or have an apartment for the summer. All coastal Maine towns are usually looking for help each summer, so start looking on different websites towards the end of this year and begin applying. I wish I had done it at 20 or 21 YOA, but its never too late!

·
Registered
19 Posts
John, I am also 19 and in your position minus the college plan on going soon. But In your situation, I did not attend any academy, But I have been a civil defense officer for about 3 years now. Granted for my Dept. even though its strictly voluntary, I get to work around Full Time Police Officers and be able to hang in their shadow, and take in what knowledge they throw at you, But also during events, parades, fireworks, holiday, etc, you get field work in and get to put what you have gained in a short or long run, depends when you come on. That being said with gaining experience, my dept. head is helping me leans toward I want to do. I do know plymouth Country corrections hires at 19 IF/AFTER you pass the knowledge and physical test. I took it 2 or 3 month ago and didnt make it. But I plan on trying again. But if you are looking for a paying job, I do know some Aux Dept pay fir details and such and issue PO powers limited to full i believe, not 100% on that. But Having some type Dept. Experience background always help, and in some to most cases will get you ahead of the list.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did my internship, and had my fun with it, but I dont want to keep bothering the guys with it. Plus I want something that pays, I guess Ill have to be patient, can afford it still got 3 years left off school, and got the academy under my belt, so kind of ahead of the game.

·
Subscribing Member
3,238 Posts
The sheriff's office may be a possibility for you and the experience you receive will be beneficial for your career.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
strangely enough some jails don't qualify the officers who work inside the jail. it's only after you've been "deputized" that they send you to the range. ( and of course you still have to be 21 ) the DOC requires the ability to obtain a pistol permit for employment.

but the county gig might not be bad to get some money coming in . work 11-7, classes in the daytime.

just don't get too comfortable :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I agree, county corrections would be a good possibility. You don't need to have a LTC for C/O's in Bristol County, you only needed it if you were a Deputy. Inside, only Supervisors and SRT carried OC, all other officers carry cuffs and a radio.....that's it!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Suffolk County is the same way. If worse comes to worse, I'll just bash the radio over the inmate's head. Nothing like taking a Motorola to the dome. :D
Hey, use what you have. One friend of mine who was SRT working MAX got into it with an inmate and didn't have time to spray the kid, so he hit him in the head with the MK111. Worked like a charm..hahaha

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
You guys know anything about the Worcester house

the C/O's i've met are good guys. of course the sheriff has been doing some weird stuff. probably not the best paying job , lots of internal politics , basically like any other jail.

it's not uncommon for guys to start out in corrections and move on to the police. some would say it's a good experience for any young person going into law enforcement.

the trick is to get the cop job before 5 years working inside. any longer and you might not leave. not the worse thing in the world. same pension and bennies , just none of the cool cop stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts