Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cop charged with domestic assault

By Julie

A Middleton police officer is facing a charge of domestic assault and battery after hitting his girlfriend Thursday night, according to a court complaint.

Robert T. Peachey Jr., 35, of Middleton, a 10-year veteran of the department, pleaded not guilty to the charge yesterday in Salem District Court.

Middleton Police Chief Paul Armitage said the woman's father contacted police Thursday night and asked for an officer to come to his home. Sgt. John Jones went to the home, where the woman told him she was assaulted by Peachey.

According to the complaint, the woman was struck on the side of her face, leaving a welt, and also had a bruise on her arm. She declined medical attention.

Jones notified Armitage, and they and a third officer went to Peachey's home to arrest him around 9:30 p.m.

Because of the nature of the charge, Armitage has suspended Peachey's license to carry a firearm. Peachey is currently off duty, using vacation time, until the matter can be taken up by the town's selectmen, Armitage said. The selectmen are the hiring authority for the department and are responsible for decisions regarding discipline of police officers. Their next meeting is Tuesday.

Peachey was released on $1,000 bail shortly after his arrest.

Yesterday, Salem District Court Judge Robert Cornetta left that bail in place and added several conditions, including an order that Peachey stay away from his girlfriend and not abuse her.

A domestic restraining order had not been sought by the woman as of yesterday.

The judge also granted a motion by prosecutors to transfer the case from Salem District Court to Lynn District Court because of the potential appearance of a conflict of interest from court staff and prosecutors who have worked with Peachey in the past.

Peachey, who told a judge he intends to hire a lawyer before his next court date, is due back in court July 30.

Peachey is the son of former longtime Middleton Police Chief Robert T. Peachey Sr., who retired in 1997.

anganis

Staff writer

Dunno what to think..............innocent till proven guilty in my book!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
stm4710 @ 7/11/2004 12:11:06 AM said:
Peachey was released on $1,000 bail shortly after his arrest.
One thousand large for an assault? :shock: Not to mention that he is a ten year veteran of the department and obviously has strong ties to the community. I think that there has to be more to the story for the clerk to set the bail that high for a A&B domestic. I am not condoning what he is alleged of doing but I have seen some real winners get out for a lot less that have been accused of doing a lot more.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Gil,

You're right about not condoning etc.........................
The bail was probably a CYA amount to preclude any appearance of favoritism by the local court system.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hey, what do you say to a woman with two black eyes???...........................................................................Never mind....bad joke. I apologize in advance. :BE: :sly:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I've never seen a plumber who gets brought in for a domestic get this much ink. Slow news day or more typical media cop-bashing?
This is the usual "ink" anytime a media outlet hears of such an incident that is DIRECTLY related to a Police Officer's behavior. Nothing new...

I agree, even with CYA, thats a fairly high amount. There has to be more to the story. His career is definately questionable. A defense attorney would have a field day with him if he's back on the job and locks someone up for Dom A&B.

Remember, Integrity is everything. As a PO you're a role model.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks like what they did was fine (setting bail high and the news article). A police officer should be held at a higher standard than most individuals because they have to uphold the law. This guy obviously was stupid, didn't use restraint and hit his wife. Now if he was called to a similar incident I bet you he would have arrested an individual for the same crime. I don't feel bad for him at all and if he is guilty of this, he should be canned.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Since police officers must cleave to a higher standard, the amount of the bail should not be higher: if anything it should be lower! The guy has ties to the community and does not (with information known in this thread) pose a 'flight risk'. Unless I'm off the mark, bail serves to insure a citizens appearance in court, but is NOT to punish or make an example!

I do not support or condone the abuse of a spouse or 'partner', but I can understand it! 8)

If it is necessary to 'park it in his you-know-what' because he's a cop, then it should be done at the time the matter is adjudicated.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well said, VOR! As far as being role models and setting examples: children need role models, not adult lemmings. Perhaps if the press (and the lemmings) stopped searching for the 'splinter' in the cops' eye, they could find the 'plank' in their own eye (apologies to JHC...). :shock:

G

·
Thats just Peachey....another cop gets drunk and goes home with a chip on his shoulder. These maggots give us all a bad name. :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
3,385 Posts
$1000 is considered a high bail for this type of crime? Out my way, the bail for this crime, officer or not, is always $50,000! And it doubles for a second offense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.