Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at an intersection of two local town roads, A and B, I am making a right turn from A onto B, and a hundred yards later get puller over by a construction detail cop for speeding in construction zone (40 in 30, double the fine)

As it turned out when I went back, the sign "Construction Zone, Be Prepared to Stop", was 100 yards up the road B, before the intersection where I entered B"

My question is, is this an excuse as far as Magistrate/Judge is concerned? I have a photo of the sign and its location.:baby21:

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
This story could not possibly be true. According to the media, police officers working construction details only sit in the cruiser reading the paper and talking on the cellphone. Are you sure that it wasn't a civilian flagman writing you that ticket for hauling ass through a construction zone?

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
This story could not possibly be true. According to the media, police officers working construction details only sit in the cruiser reading the paper and talking on the cellphone. Are you sure that it wasn't a civilian flagman writing you that ticket for hauling ass through a construction zone?
That's funny right there, I don't care where yer from....

·
Stirrer of the Pot
4,338 Posts
Was the officer wearing both his hat and a full utility belt while doing the detail?

If he was out of uniform the magistrate will dismiss the ticket :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
While I find your story amusing...I will still give you some advice:

1) Slow down.... even though you were cited for 40 in a 30 I would bet you were going faster

2) Appeal the ticket...bring your photos, your dislike of the police and tell the magistrate that detail cops do nothing

3) When found responsible by magistrate appeal ticket to judge. Swear under oath you were not speeding and look at the big smile on the officers face as he makes his OT for the court time.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Most detail cops, do not want to stop someone unless they have too, since it would interfere with the whole traffic process. Plus one would develop carpal tunnel syndrome with the amount of out tail lights (as an example) that they would see on a detail.

Obviously this police officer felt you were a danger to the safety of the motoring public. Pay the fine and move on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Media reports are factually incorrect. This one did not have a cruiser -- had to call for one to get the citation form. I almost felt bad for the guy.:innocent:

While I find your story amusing...I will still give you some advice:

1) Slow down.... even though you were cited for 40 in a 30 I would bet you were going faster

2) Appeal the ticket...bring your photos, your dislike of the police and tell the magistrate that detail cops do nothing

3) When found responsible by magistrate appeal ticket to judge. Swear under oath you were not speeding and look at the big smile on the officers face as he makes his OT for the court time.
The question is, was I supposed to somehow know that this was a construction zone, if I did not encounter a sign that states this en-route?

For the record, I like police, I know all my local town cops and works with them on a lot of stuff in town. This one was not from around here, and have been in the sun too long apparently :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guys in orange vests and hard hats jackhammering up the roadway is usually a pretty good clue.
I myself always wonder why they need road signs -- you can always guess. Although by that cop's facial I would guess a "low flying aircraft" sign over there.:whistle:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speed based on "estimated" only

For the record, I did search the forum for the "estimated" by have not seen a single reference for citation based on estimated only.

My story: 40 in 30 based on "estimated" and "posted" only. Yeah the guy did no like me :cool:. No cruiser, no gun, construction detail cop.

According to the cop, I must have went from 0 to 40 then back to 0 in the 120 yards from the intersection to where he pulled me over.

Does this hold water with the Magistrate/Judge?

P.S. While searching for "estimated", I did find all the stale "construction cop" jokes, so no need to repeat. Some new jokes are welcome thought :-D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Re: Speed based on "estimated" only

I'd appeal it.

Here's what will happen:

Cop: "...and I estimated his speed at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone,your honor"

You: "...was not!"

Cop: "...was, too!"

Mag: " I have to find you responsible, sir...when can you pay?"

You: "I want an appeal"

Mag: "Okay."

"Fast" forward several months...

Cop and You: argument as above.

Judge: "Responsible...when can you pay?"

Case closed.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts

Appeal it all the way it makes great overtime!

·
Registered
238 Posts

dude, you fucked up. it happens. getting a speeding ticket doesnt make you the devil. but doing what your doing makes you a douschebag.

you committed the crime. now pay your fine.

heres whats very likely to happen. you appeal it with the "i didnt do it" approach. the magistrate knocks it down to the minimum and sends you on your way. if you decide to carry it on another step, you go before the judge. remember that, once in front of the judge, your back to appealing the full ticket not the reduction the magistrate offered you. your going to lose and end up paying the whole ticket and the court costs. to top it all off, your going to get hit with 5 points for 6 years(iirc).

write a check.
stick it in the envelope.
bend over, lube up and wait for liberty mutual( or whoever insures your 93 honda hatchback) to come by and stick it in your ass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Neither do we, so it's all good. :cool:
DAMMIT you beat me to it Phuzz....haha..

I'd appeal it...I mean who cares about workzone safety....you're probably the same guy that cheers when Herald and other rags say police details are wasteful....THAT COP just made money for the Commonwealth that could be used to pay for these wastes of taxpayer money...ALL WHILE IMPROVING PUBLIC SAFETY.....just as long as it isn't you right?...I woulda hit you for the double in workzone if you were an asshat enough to actually make me have to write you.

KEVEMT...40 in a 30 is the minimum already.....it's not getting any lower...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.