Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working a detail today in a local town. I was told by the Officer from the town that I was working in that there was some sort of state mandated time, where all work on state roads must be shut down by 3PM. He was very serious, but to be honest, I've never seen this implemented before. Crews work past 3PM all the time. They work till' they're done, and then we all get paid and go home, right? :wink:

Any idea if this mandatory shut down time on state roads is legitimate, and if so, where does it come from (cite)?

·
1,334 Posts
Not aware of any mandatory shut down time. Although, I have worked many details on the several different state highways that run through town. All of them have a lot of traffic, especially during the morning and afternoon drive. In some cases Mass Highway has told the contractors to be off the road by 3:30. In other cases on the same highway(s), the ending time of the detail was not an issue. I would say that may be determined from project to project depending on location, traffic, contractor, type of work, etc. I'm commenting from my own experience and what I have seen, if anyone has any documentation or links to anything that would certainly be appreciated.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fram,

I'm thinking that this may be some written agreed upon time, between the contractor and MassHighway, at the time that the contractor accepts the contract from the State. It has been presented to me though, as it is some sort of statewide regulation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
just did a detail for a state job which didn't shut down until 1700hrs. So i'm guessing this officer was refering to a certain job which MASS Highway said stop by X time as part of the bid/contract

·
Registered
63 Posts
It depends on what time there work permit specifies. We have a contractor for the state working in our town on a major roadway. They can not start work before 0900 A.M. and have to be off the road by 15:00 Hrs. This is beacuse traffic would be gridlocked if they started during the moring rush or worked during the afternoon rush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts