Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Connecticut State troopers become fuel conscious

Hartford (WTNH) _ On the state level, troopers are also feeling the pinch. They're being asked to limit their driving on their days off.
With a force of 1,200, the State Police has the largest fleet of cars in state government. As many may know, state troopers work five days on and three days off and they take the police cars home.
The directive is for troopers to save 10 percent on gas consumption by July 1st and 25 percent in the twelve months that follow - by not pumping any gas from the state pumps at the barracks during their three days off.
"They can fill up their cars at the end of their shift," John Danaher, of Connecticut Department of Public Safety said. "Before they go off duty for three days, we simply ask them to try to make that tank - make it through the three days that they're off."
But, the union that represents the troopers, notes that the state police are never truly off duty and are expected to perform law enforcement at all times - whether it's helping a motorist or assisting at a crime scene. "There's a concern now if there's going to be less off duty cars out there because they're not being driven because of gas usage concerns that there's less troopers to respond to emergencies," Steven Rief, President of the Connecticut State Police Union, said.
The governor said today that the issue was not her concern and that she was only interested in holding the line on spending at all state agencies. "How they determine to do that is entirely up to the agency," Governor Jodi Rell said. "That is not an issue that I have dealt with."
Troopers are issued gasoline credit cards for emergencies. But, their use could actually cost taxpayers more since state pumps contain gas bought at bulk wholesale prices and do not include state taxes.
"For using the gas cards to fill up our cruisers, you're paying the pump rate that everybody else pays and therefore it's more money on the taxpayers," Rief said.
"Everybody's primary goal within the department is public safety and we're not going to do anything that's going to impair that mission," Danaher said. "If we find that this directive in anyway does impair that mission, then we're going to revisit it."

http://connpolitics.tv/index.php/2008/05/13/state-troopers-become-fuel-conscious

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Surely unrelated, but my buddy just graduated from their academy today. We worked together in Fla. briefly before returning to cash cow New England. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
In California, officers do not have personally assigned units to take home. They commute in their POVs - except for motorcycle officers and some investigative and special details.

Additionally, the administration has just approved, for some offices, a work week of three days of twelve hour shifts and four days off. Every other week they have to work an extra shift to keep the monthly work hours(168 ) in line.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I can see State agencies, which currently provide take-home cruisers, taking away the that benefit. Just to save money.

The first selectman of the town I work in has asked us to shut off our vehicles whenever we are idle to save on money...My chief said no.

5 and 3 is no good...I hate working 5 days...which is why I don't ;)

G

·
I've heard of some PD's doubling-up officers in one cruiser to save fuel. If gas costs continue to skyrocket, I think take-home cruisers might be a thing of the past.

·
2,297 Posts
I've heard of some PD's doubling-up officers in one cruiser to save fuel. If gas costs continue to skyrocket, I think take-home cruisers might be a thing of the past.
If you have a Per Diem in your contract, it might be more expensive to take them away than the gas.

·
Subscribing Member
364 Posts
- Yep - been doublin' up for a while now. Always a joy ... (HRock will be reading this!!!)

G

·
If you have a Per Diem in your contract, it might be more expensive to take them away than the gas.
If gas hits $5 per gallon this summer as many are predicting, I think the PTB would pay the per diem with a smile.

- Yep - been doublin' up for a while now. Always a joy ... (HRock will be reading this!!!)
I used to work two to a cruiser, but I've flown solo for so long I couldn't go back at this point. Without killing someone, anyway. :cool:

G

·
I dunno...that's a lot of cash, and the department would still be paying for the gas while on patrol.
Oh, I'm sure they'll come up with wonderfully innovative ways to deal with that...no idling, take calls from static locations, etc.

What the hell....the Kansas City experiment said that random patrol has no effect on crime anyway, right? :rolleyes:

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
I love seeing the ding-dings drive the .3 mpg big rigs to and from the supermarket for food runs...and everybody still waves to them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts