Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy to see yesterday on the news that Portsmouth and Groton were spared from the closure list. Congrats to the bases, and to our borthers/sisters who work there keeping those bases safe.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "join up" with PA, PA has already won their case in federal court. I don't think that the cases are similar enough in nature to be compared.

The DoD/BRAC recommendation was to close a fighter wing down and distribute the aircraft to neighboring state's Air National Guard units. The Feds don't have that authority, without consent from the Governor.

(10USC18238 : A unit of the Army National Guard of the United States, or of the Air National Guard of the United States may not be relocated or withdrawn under this chapter without the consent of the governor of the State, in the case of the District of Columbia, the commanding general of the National guard of the District of Columbia)

Also, this decision did not save the base. It only says that the DoD can't order a NG units deactivation.

To quote the AP article, "The lawsuit didn't challenge the Pentagon's authority to close Willow Grove, only whether the federal government could deactivate the 111th Fighter Wing based there."

But hey, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm just about ready to hit the sack for five and a half hours before I go back to bed. If you want, read the full opinion on the PA case and form your own opinion.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/dod/renrums82605opn.pdf

·
Registered
715 Posts
Under the current plan the 102nd Fighter Wing (Otis) would be deactivated and their aircraft moved to the 104th Fighter Wing (Barnes). I think Massachusetts has a good case. Also the BRAC commision did not even discuss the pros and cons of closing Otis. All they did was discuss the movement of aircraft which closes Otis by default. They did mention that their decision would not close the Coast Guard Air Station on Otis however, the Coast Guard had already expressed concern about Otis closing and said that they may not be able to afford the operating costs of the base which is mainly handled by the Air National Guard. Simply put, the Coast Guard station may close also. The Army National Guard is also at Otis (they call it Camp Edwards), nobody is sure that they will take over the operation of the base either.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If you're right, MilitiaMan, my position would be that MA had a strong case as well, and I'll retract my earlier comment that they might not be similar enough to compare.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Some additional information to point out. The A-10 aircraft that belong to the 104th Fighter Wing at Barnes ANGB would be moved out of state. That is why they will gain the F-15's from Otis. Even though the folks at Barnes are excited about the prospect of gaining a new mission and different aircraft, the Massachusetts Air National Guard as a whole will still lose an entire fighter wing of personnel from Otis and the A-10's from Barnes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its a good thing, they kept Groton and Portsmouth open. It will give me some more options when I try to come home. Now I just gotta worry about them pulling military off the gates and off patrol in favor of DoD and civilians.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have active duty and DoD cops at Westover. We share all duties and responsibilities. I'm not sure what other bases like active duty bases are doing. I know the AF is hiring alot of DoD cops for active bases as well as reserve bases. Have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
715 Posts
No DOD cops at Hanscom. Just private security contract guards that only work the gate. No DOD cops at Otis either, but there are civilian patrolman that work for the Massachusetts National Guard who augment the SP's at Otis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.