Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  ROBOCOP1982 
#1 ·
Maybe one of you Troopers can shed some light on this rumor I just heard. I have been hearing lately in the circles of Western Mass law enforcement that the State Police have been cosidering going to Highway Patrol and have been thinking of doing that for some time or doing some major change to the way the do things. Now I thought this was ridiculous but anything is possible in the f@@#ed state, has anyone heard the same or similar?

#6 ·
Originally posted by Macop:
Maybe one of you Troopers can shed some light on this rumor I just heard. I have been hearing lately in the circles of Western Mass law enforcement that the State Police have been cosidering going to Highway Patrol and have been thinking of doing that for some time or doing some major change to the way the do things. Now I thought this was ridiculous but anything is possible in the f@@#ed state, has anyone heard the same or similar?
What??? You mean they aren't the Massachusetts Highway Patrol??? ;)
(Just kidding guys)

#7 ·
I saw Bernardston PD up on I-91 Stopping cars a about a month ago on one of my road trips. Just after i passed it I heard a MSP Trooper on the scanner calling the B-2 desk,He told the desk trooper to log that BPD was up on the highway stopping cars.Is this something that msp does not like? I thought local PDs could make stops on state highways as long as the part of the highway that they were making the stops on was in their town. Again is this something MSP does not like or is this just the way things work? By that i mean do local pds have to let msp know if they are making stops on the highway? If this is the case then I would think B-7 "shelburne control" would let the down stairs B-2 desk know since they dispatch BPD rather than a trooper calling it in.But again iam not sure how it works.......

#8 ·
Bearcat, that was me u saw on 91. The Troopers that work when I work are out of the last class and don't have any problem with it, it fact they semed to like it, giving me ideas on what to stop cars for. The residents didnt care for it too much, but oh well I just love to stir the shit pot. The selectboard doesnt like it either but oh well. The chief did tell me to ease up on it. We dont have to ask them or anything. It runs through town and I am a cop in that town and can go out there as much as I want, no matter who likes it or not. But I have eased up so people dont get thier panties in too much of a bunch.

#9 ·
2 Weeks ago at 7:00am I saw a Duxbury cruiser parked on Rte 3 North in the grass, Im assuming running radar. Im am pretty sure there are enough MSP cruisers out of Norwell to run radar on that section of Rte 3. He could have been meeting a trooper he knows or something, but even understanding how quiet Duxbury is at 7:00am, I still think that his time would be better spent on Rtes 3A or 53, rather than the highway. O-well...im over it.

#10 ·
Macop--thats good that msp does not have any trouble with you being up there. From what i know towns are almost never happy with their police oficers no matter what they are doing.
Is it true that you guys all get take home patrol cars? I never heard of a local pd that gives each officer a take home car.
Stay safe

#11 ·
Townies most certainly can make stops on highways that pass through their respective towns. Just like Troopers can make stops where ever they please, highways, main roads, dead ends and so on. Of course on both sides of that fence you might just run into someone who will sniffle and whine that someone else is playing in their spot on the playground.

#13 ·
Thats great! Sounds like you have a pretty good deal going out there! THe chief must be pretty good,How many cars does the dept have? Is it just full timers or do the part timers get them too.If you guys all get take home cars i bet he has you pretty well set up with all kinds of other stuff.
Stay safe

#17 ·
Originally posted by Macop:
Harley, I always knew you were a smart man, lol.
MACOP, I see that your Board of Selectman finally decided to pay your former Chief the money that was owed to him. What is up lately with all these western mass politicians? Is it so difficult for people to do the right thing these days? Look at Montague, they have had more (selectboard) trouble than you can shake a stick at. Your town has a good Chief, and a great department now. They should try to keep it that way instead of scaring everybody off. I'm sure that your Chief was feeling real confident with HIS retirement when he saw what they put your former chief through.

#20 ·
mikemac64 you hit it right on the head. in the agency i work for now in mass, the midnight officers stray onto the highway. i personally have no problem with it...as long as you do your regular patrols also. the town is the primary responsibility. but as always the chiefs views and department policies are law. thats great with the take home cruisers, in virginia almost every agency had take home cruisers. just remember to back up the troopers, im sure they will give the thumbs up but i know that i appreciated it whenever a trooper pulled behind me.

#26 ·
Psychological Omni-Presence for the bad guys and good citizens alike it works both ways and the more the merrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.