Confessions of a Car Salesman view! | MassCops

Confessions of a Car Salesman view!

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by CJIS, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

2. NorwichAlum

NorwichAlum MassCops Member

Good article. Car shopping sucks.

3. TPD Lt.

TPD Lt. MassCops Member

I agree

4. Good to have some insight into the shady world of car sales. Hmm, most of what he talked about brought back memories of almost all my past car shopping experiences. Go figure! ...And I thought all that schmoozing was just because I'm a girl. :wub:

5. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Car shopping does suck, but if you go prepared (and with the internet, all the mystery is taken out of pricing) they know you are not fucking around. If they can't cough up the best price then and there, get up and leave and find a dealer that will. They are out there. I'm not a ball breaker, but I usually deal with between invoice price and $400 over. Any more than that and you got raped.

6. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

It was an interesting read but it didn't really tell you anything that most peope don't know already.

7. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I always look at buying a car as if I'm playing a game. So, I actually find it kind of fun. Well sort of.

I use being a girl to my advantage. I once got a guy to know of $3k because I told him that I had just gotten married & my husband only gave me permission to pay $x. So, I would have to go home & come back with him if I were going to agree to pay more. Dumb schmuck actually bought it. I had just gotten married, but anyone in their right mind knows I don't ask permission to spend money & neither does my husband.

I am:smug:. When we bought my husband's truck I went to a few dealerships by myself & told the sales person that I wanted a truck with these features & I was only going to pay $19k (my top price was actually $23k). I got a call from two sales people who both told me that they had gotten in the truck I wanted. We went to the first dealership & the sales person shmoozed my husband & kids & ignored me. He goes through the whole pitch & asks what we think. So, I asked him what my name was. He had no idea what hit him. I explained that since I hold the check book, he really should have paid a little attention to me & at the very least remembered my name. So, now we leave & go across the street. The sales person shows us the truck & tells us it's $29k. I told him I had said I was only paying $19k. So, he starts telling me about the tow package & the this & the that. I reminded him that those weren't options we wanted, so I wasn't going to pay for them. We go back & forth, he comes down to $25k, I hold at $19k. Then, the guy from the first place calls my husband's cell. The timing worked great. After almost three hours, the sales person comes down to $23k, I go up to $20k. I finally get him to agree to $21.5k & throw in the good floor mats.

My trick to buying a car is to always maintain control & I do. When the sales person thinks he's controlling the situation, he doesn't realize that I am letting him think he's on top. Ok I know it's a bit manipulative, but the way I see it is only one of us will win the game & it's gonna be me.

8. GeepNutt

GeepNutt MassCops Member

This Edmunds piece has been around for a few years. Most of it still rings true today.

I have a brother in law in the "auto sales business" who has also given me a lot of hints as well. The only downside is every time I see him I feel compelled to take a shower.... :devil:

9. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wow. I'm surprised by a lot of you.

10. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I was talking to a guy last weekend who owns a rather large dealership and he told me that they're lucky if they make $100 on a new car sale. It's the used cars where they make the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Take it from someone who buys and sells specialized vehicles CV's
    there is not a lot of profit in it. 99% of what I buy at the government
    auctions are shipped to AK to be refitted for small departments that
    can not afford to buy new, they are all unmarked and low mileage when
    I buy them and then painted and fitted out with the equipment the
    departments want. Most departments want no part of anything but
    Ford's a couple have asked for Chargers and we can't give away Impala's.
    Thank God at least I do not have to deal with the public.

12. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Maybe at some of the large dealers and Japanese imports...

Pay for what you want. Squabble over every last penny and you will live a miserable life. Find a nice car, a salesman you like, work a deal and drive home.

I refuse to drive all over creation to save $200. I've only had this experience when looking at Ridgelines a few years back.

13. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

I mean, might as well do something with all the time I have in my new car while you mingle with the Bach's and Chambers' of the world. Great way to spend every weekend for 3 weeks.