Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Firefox web browser in place of IEX? if so what are the issues you have foud with it?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I use it on occasion for testing and never had a problem with it, seems stable enough

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Been using it for a while:

1. Websites don't always look the same. Mine is great in IE, a little wonky in FF.

2. The Java support sucks...and so many people have "java on the brain" websites...it's sometimes an issue.

3. Technically there is no "upgrade" to fix problems...it's an full install of the new version.
Not bad but if you have plug ins or extensions you have to sometimes reinstall all of them.
Being open source, you may also have to wait for your extensions to catch up to the newest version.

4. What are extensions? The are little ad ins, the best is Adblock. Gets rid of any images you don't want to see on a website, think banners. There are hundreds of them...all do different neat things.

5. One you go tab'd browsing, you'll never go back. Lets you keep lmultiple websites open in one browser window with tabs to click on to have them come to the front.

7. MS Update and some other MS specific applications will not work right with FF. MS is very exclusive in some of the online stuff. There are work arounds but still you won't get rid of IE.

8. I use FF almost exclusively. I do need IE for one of my online banking things and if I'm going to certain java based pages.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone know what the heck the difference is between Mozilla and Firefox? They are both based on Netscape correct?

·
Registered
156 Posts
all I knew what that firefox was a new version of the mozilla browser. I switched from IE to Mozilla back around January so that I could have a pop up blocker. I think Firefox is a relatively new version, I just didn't know what made it better. I checked and it seems to integrate it's own anti-spyware so I'll probably give it a whirl.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
It's "better" in many peoples eyes because it's not an MS product.

I like it better because it has a bunch of extensions (small programs) that enhance the browsing experience.

IE Yahoo

FF Yahoo

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just downloaded it. It was pretty quick. I think it is probably alot like the version of Mozilla I was using but with some good updates. I am one of those that prefer that it isn't a MS product, I hate IE.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Get and tweak the "adblock" extension...it's the best....

Tools, extensions, get more extensions.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oops! Sorry, wrong thread...I was looking for the 'slide rule talk' thread! :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.