Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone!
Question:
Someone is a Law Enforcement Officer in MA and falls under the LEOSA Act, and can carry in all 50 states and has the appropriate identification.
That person only has an FID Card in Massachusetts, is it possible to have a handgun transferred to you privately? I know permits to purchase can be used to purchase a handgun with an FID as long as it is not taken out of the home. But under LEOSA you would be able to lawfully carry according to federal and state law. Does anyone know if recording the sale on the gun portal, it would reject you because one person has an FID and the other a LTC?

If anyone could give feedback thanks!
This is law enforcement related, hence why I am posting here rather than Northeast Shooters

·
Subscribing Member
104 Posts
The short answer is that you need an LTC in MA. While you may be able to buy a gun without a LTC the problem in this situation is that the Mass regulations for LEOSA qualification require the separated officer to have a MA LTC in order to take the LEOSA qualification course. Without proof of qualification you cant carry under LEOSA.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,775 Posts
1. Permits to purchase are no longer a "thing" in Massachusetts. FID is long guns ONLY for any reason. You cannot lawfully possess any handgun ANYWHERE including your domicile on an FID.
2. As stated above for LEOSA you have to have active or retired LEO CREDENTIALS. I have to ask how said person is a "qualified law enforcement" type for LEOSA, yet hasn't got an LTC? Kinda silly.......BTW is this person still on the job, or retired?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LEOSA qualification require the separated officer to have a MA LTC in order to take the LEOSA qualification course. Without proof of qualification you cant carry under LEOSA.
Thank you for your response, I forgot to mention the person would be an "active status LEO".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to ask how said person is a "qualified law enforcement" type for LEOSA, yet hasn't got an LTC? Kinda silly.......BTW is this person still on the job, or retired?
Thank you for you input, I forgot to mention that the LEOSA would be "ACTIVE STATUS". My friend just moved into the state, where his laws did not require him to be licensed, but he only applied for the FID.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
i carried a sidearm everyday for years and never had a LTC.
Living in Boston and having a pistol permit was not an option :rolleyes:

The DOC gave us paper permits to carry any issued department firearms. That was challenged after one of our transportation officers was pulled over in his P/V driving home.

Now anyone with a "take home" firearm has to have a valid LTC. Institution officers transporting inmates still carry on their badge. Mass. firearm laws are insane and that's the way our government likes it. ;)

·
Subscribing Member
4,392 Posts
1. Permits to purchase are no longer a "thing" in Massachusetts. FID is long guns ONLY for any reason. You cannot lawfully possess any handgun ANYWHERE including your domicile on an FID.
2. As stated above for LEOSA you have to have active or retired LEO CREDENTIALS. I have to ask how said person is a "qualified law enforcement" type for LEOSA, yet hasn't got an LTC? Kinda silly.......BTW is this person still on the job, or retired?
Maybe he lost his LtC for life for a guilty OUI and carries only under the badge ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bud, LEOSA is for carrying firearms. You need a Class A LTC to purchase high capacity firearms in MA. Don’t read into it. The system may allow it to pass, but then you can be jammed up. I wouldn’t play games in this state. You’ll do time. If he’s an ACTIVE LEO, Full-Time, no weird sidebar clauses.. then have him just apply for an LTC.

What your doing is looking for a loophole. The intent of the law is for cops to carry in other states. Not for people who don’t qualify for an LTC to get a firearm anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bud, LEOSA is for carrying firearms. You need a Class A LTC to purchase high capacity firearms in MA. Don't read into it. The system may allow it to pass, but then you can be jammed up. I wouldn't play games in this state. You'll do time. If he's an ACTIVE LEO, Full-Time, no weird sidebar clauses.. then have him just apply for an LTC.

What your doing is looking for a loophole. The intent of the law is for cops to carry in other states. Not for people who don't qualify for an LTC to get a firearm anyway.
From what I have read on numerous websites, including Mass.gov This is a federal law that supersedes all state and local laws. You do not require a LTC in any state in the US. This applies to active and retired law enforcement officers. The only restriction is the type of ammo carried when retired. You may also need to lower magazine capacity.
https://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

·
Subscribing Member
4,392 Posts
Maybe he has an OUI guilty conviction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe he has an OUI guilty conviction

They wrote it to very inclusive. The ability to arrest or apprehend, which is very broad. Even some states with prison officers have the ability to pursue and arrest to a limited degree. The intent is to provide enhanced public and officer safety. It also allows you to carry your own personal weapon and not the one provided when your off duty. It's a real education reading up on all of this. I told a friend of mine who has served for 30 years, she was not aware of it, as it offers multi state carry and you do not need a locally purchased LTC.

·
Subscribing Member
104 Posts
LEOSA exempts qualified active and retired LEO's from state requirements to have a LTC. It doesn't allow anyone to purchase a firearm or even ammunition. There are some weird situations that can happen when you mix the state and federal law. So a federal agent in MA could by a gun directly from a manufacturer, shipped to the agency, without going through a FFL or needing an LTC. So it is possible to be a MA resident and carry on LEOSA without an LTC but that will only last for 12 months. Last I checked the CMR on this in order to get your required LEOSA qualification you need, in MA to have a LTC. So, in the end, if you are going to live in this state and take advantage of LEOSA you need the LTC.

·
MassCops Member
350 Posts
?...... Last I checked the CMR on this in order to get your required LEOSA qualification you need, in MA to have a LTC. So, in the end, if you are going to live in this state and take advantage of LEOSA you need the LTC.
What is a CMR? So if a LEOSA compliant and credentialed retired cop from another state moved to Massachusetts, could he not just "carry" on his LEOSA credentials, without getting a MA LTC? Where is it written in Massachusetts law that he would need to get an LTC? What if he moved to Boston? Would they even issue an LTC to a retired cop from another state moving into the city of Boston?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
What is a CMR? So if a LEOSA compliant and credentialed retired cop from another state moved to Massachusetts, could he not just "carry" on his LEOSA credentials, without getting a MA LTC? Where is it written in Massachusetts law that he would need to get an LTC? What if he moved to Boston? Would they even issue an LTC to a retired cop from another state moving into the city of Boston?
Code of Massachusetts Regulations. 515 CMR 6.03 dictates the process that LEOSA instructors must follow.

(5) Certified LEOSA Instructor Obligations. The LEOSA Instructor shall:
(a) Require students to complete an application prescribed by the Colonel to be completed upon certification. The application, signed and dated by the student, shall be maintained by the instructor for a minimum of one year following expiration of any subsequently-obtained LEOSA Qualification Card. A copy of the application may also be given to the student.
(b) Require, on the course date, the student to present a valid retired law enforcement officer identification card issued by the law enforcement agency from which the student retired, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C, indicating at a minimum that the officer is an otherwise qualified retired law enforcement officer.
(c) Require, on the course date, the student to present a valid license to carry issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140, § 131.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Unless he goes back to his state of retirement and qualifies there every year, to their standards...

Reactions: Goose and Joel98

·
Registered
13 Posts
From all I've read and those links posted here as long as you retired in good standing, have a photo ID from your employer, and have up to date training than you should be fine. You may have to ensure the proper magazine capacity (10 max), and ensure your weapons are approved in mass.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know some active MA cops who don't have LTC's, there are depts that don't require it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know some active MA cops who don't have LTC's, there are depts that don't require it.
LEOSA states it's not necessary to have a LTC in any state, but it's best to check with the state you plan to move to or travel through. Mass issues ID cards as do other states for a retired LEO. You do have to ensure you carry a weapon and one with the approved capacity according to state law.
The state/agency you retire from must provide an ID stating your retirement and status. Some states are not abiding by LEOSA, but it is a federal law. It has been revised twice. And is currently waiting on another for review.
LEOSA state by state: Why are retired police officers having problems? - Daigle Law Group
Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia

1 - 20 of 33 Posts