Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Zombie Hunter
4,768 Posts
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability...

1. Troopers in field division generally drive fully marked (overhead lights) or semi-marked cruisers (full paint, no overhead lights.) There are a smaller number of unmarked cruisers (civilian paint scheme, cruiser plates) in field as well for Troopers on regular patrol. As far as cruiser issue goes, it goes by what is available and seniority. If fleet had only fully marked when your number comes up, that's what you get. If fleet happens to have some semi-marked or unmarked cruisers available, the troopers who happen to go when they're available get them on a seniority basis. Specialized units like the CAT team(community action team), who specialize in motor vehicle enforcement generally get unmarked cruisers or other types of cars not likely to attract attention (Dodge Intrepids, etc.) Detective units get a hodgepodge of unmarked cars without MSP plates; (Intrepids, Taurus's, Impala's), or even confiscated drug cars of any make. Truck teams generally get SUV's or pickup trucks, but not always, and there are a number of specialized unit vehicles like vans, buses or trucks (dive teams, marine unit, etc.)
2. Vehicle modifications are allowed, if approved by fleet, and reasonable.
3. Call the barracks specifically, the 911 system often misdirects calls to the wrong barracks.
4. The breakdown lane is for emergency use only, its not a place to stop and make phone calls. I know your trying to do the right thing, but the BDL is not really a safe place to be. I've known far to many people who got smacked in the breakdown lane. Get a headset, or if you have to, stop at a gas station or plaza.
5. I have never carried a portable in my PC, nor have I ever heard of Troopers doing that.
6. The Pike as well as the field barracks have specially trained and equipped personel in "Help" vans or trucks to free up Troopers for more important calls during rush hour periods. They are not armed, they are just there to provide assistance and emergency lights, and I suppose they take as much of a chance as a tow-truck driver.
7. Maintainence is done at the Troop level (ie, each Troop has its own garage). And there is a main garage at GHQ in Framingham.

· Zombie Hunter
4,768 Posts
Regarding the cell calls..Call 911..not the barracks. 911 generates a GPS position report on all reasonably new phones, it is also taped abd time stamped. In the event that something really critical is happening those 2 features can save lives and be invaluable later in criminal cases.
Unless the 911 system directs the call to a barracks across the state...which happens frequently..

· Zombie Hunter
4,768 Posts
Badge numbers are meaningless except as inventory control numbers.
I think in the latest couple of classes they actually matched ID# to badge#, although I could be wrong...any newbies want to pipe up?

· Zombie Hunter
4,768 Posts
Who resurrected this corpse from the graveyard of old posts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.