Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My town is basically patrolled by the MSP. Often times we would like to get more "details" for speed enforcement. Are there grants available either stand alone or in conjunction with the MSP for more community policing/speed and enforcement/public safety?

I forget, I know we can purchase 4 hours for x dollars an hour, the MSP would use our radar gun but provide the car and a trooper for the detail. That's sort of the thing I am interested in having more of. To date our town has been a little stingy on the funds for our local law enforcement officers and certainly on adding MSP patrols, so if I could get a grant for it I could circumvent the argument that we don't have enough money for it.

G

·
Try the Governor's Highway Safety Bureau website, they administer "click-it or ticket" and "you drink and drive you lose" grant money.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Call the Lee Barracks (243-0600) during the day shift and speak to Lt. Carney, the station commander. He may be receptive to the idea and "assign" his patrols to run RADAR/LIDAR in town during certain trouble times. If the patrols are doing it, it won't cost any $. The LT may also have ideas on where you can get money for additional speed details.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, he's and the Lee barracks been VERY good to us and we have no complaints about the service at all in fact it's been great. I guess in a way I'm planning for the summer and tourist season when there's about double the people here. We know that they (MSP Lee) get a little stretched so if I can line up grant money, we can get ready for the summer.
I will check about where he thinks there is money available

Call the Lee Barracks (243-0600) during the day shift and speak to Lt. Carney, the station commander. He may be receptive to the idea and "assign" his patrols to run RADAR/LIDAR in town during certain trouble times. If the patrols are doing it, it won't cost any $. The LT may also have ideas on where you can get money for additional speed details.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Selectmen in Richmond have already been approached on this subject. They respectfully declined as they are happy with the manner in which the roads are patrolled.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody is complaining, I'm working on next years budget and grants for local policing, roads, COA, and a couple other things.

Edit:

Here's what happens:
The MSP always do a good job, no question, right now it's after September so the town (being a fairly seasonal town as you know) is pretty quiet. In January we start our budget meetings in ernest, topic comes up about traffic control, "ohhh no problem, MSP are doing a great job." (again which they are)...so no money is alloted for extra patrols.
So May comes, no vote for money for patrols, because everything was fine. So then June comes, the summer crowds start flooding the area...there are more pressing needs and patrols get a little lighter and the traffic gets heavier, then the complaints come in, speeders on 41, speeders on Summit, speeders on Swamp Road. As well all the bikers and walkers and joggers are out some more people are "on the road" adding to a greater sense of awareness of what's going on. The it starts, where are the State Police...bla bla bla...can't we get them to do more patrols? Can't we hire someone, can't we get our part time police to do patrols (that was a nightmare)? bla bla bla...I've lived here only three years but every year it's exactly the same....
So I figure if I can get a small grant for community policing, when the summer comes and things swing the other way, we will be ready.

The Selectmen in Richmond have already been approached on this subject. They respectfully declined as they are happy with the manner in which the roads are patrolled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.