Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I took the MSP "Truck Team" class given at Plymouth. The class was informative, but obviously the troopers have hundreds of hours of training and thousands of hours of experience that they cannot convey to others in a one day class. Now, I am looking for input on small departments' sucess or problems in starting commercial vehicle enforcement. (Whether it be one officer or a unit). Local court's/magistrate's reaction to citations, etc. certified weighers/measurers. Input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I saw that there was a class held recently, I missed it, I think it was a couple weeks back. I wish they held more classes on Comm vehc enforcement. I stopped a TT unit one time b/c it was involved in a hit and run, the driver didnt even know he backed into someone, b/c she was too close. Anyways, this guy handed me two binders filled with paperwork. Just pretended I knew what I was looking at... :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GPD11:

When I took the abbreviated version of the CV enforcement, the troopers taught us to do just that. Play along like you know what you are doing. If you ask them for the following they think you know what you are doing: License, Registration, Medical card, Shipping papers, Log book.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lic, Reg for the tractor, reg for the trailer, health card, bill of lading, log book.

then, chaulks, triangles, and fire extinguisher.

If any of the above are missing, or the truck looks like a POS, call the truck team.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Don't forget, any lights out are an out of service offense. Only officers DOT certified, which I think are only CMVE Troopers (if your city has one I apologize) can put them out of service but I have used that bluff many times and it works. When u ask for the log book, ask their origin and destination. Less than 100 AIR miles distance they dont need one but some guys will try to bluff you by saying they dont need it when they do. Write log book violations under 90-31. Even though I can't write for Federal violations, I keep a copy of Title 49 to refer too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They say experience is the best teacher. While there are many more things a truck can be cited for, I ltend to leave those up to the Truck Team. I rely on good old run of the mill Ch. 90 violations.

What everyone should definitely get is a HAZMAT ID booklet, so you know with some certainty what you are walking up to, especially at an accident scene. Those trucks can carry some pretty nasty items...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a note on what SRRerg wrote about having a HAZMAT book in a cruiser. You can enter the HAZMAT ID number into a screen on MDTs and get all similar information right on your computer screen, that is a handy little tool also.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
GPD11 said:
Just a note on what SRRerg wrote about having a HAZMAT book in a cruiser. You can enter the HAZMAT ID number into a screen on MDTs and get all similar information right on your computer screen, that is a handy little tool also.
What screen?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gil,
To be 100% I would have to take another look at it when I go back in. And I guess it also depends if our MDTs are the same format? There is a a key on the screen that shows for Hazmat. Like I said, I don't know off the top of my head, and I'll get back to you. I have run out HAZMAT placards before using that key.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure if you can access it from your cruiser, but if you call into dispatch they can. If you type MQ in the task field it will bring you to the screen, and tells you all the necessary info. needed. Chances are you can get it from the cruiser, but I’m not sure how to.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Its my understanding that only an officer DOT certified, that is US Dept of Transportation, can enforce the laws under Title 49. For us, its guys certified on the truck team, and I think even they have to be recertified periodically.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe Hanover PD has a couple of guys certified to do Commercial vehicle enforcement. If you want to know how they did it, give their Disp. a call and they will put you in touch (781) 826-2335.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cole had it correct; the proper LEAPS query is 'MQ' - the prompt appears and you enter in the 4-digit number you see on the placard.

-Mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
USMCTrooper said:
Its my understanding that only an officer DOT certified, that is US Dept of Transportation, can enforce the laws under Title 49. For us, its guys certified on the truck team, and I think even they have to be recertified periodically.
Thanks for the info. Is there a DOT agency that also provides enforcement/inspections. FMCSA or NHTSA personnel assigned to an enforcement role?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts